Author Topic: El Mirage results  (Read 37996 times)

Offline jl222

Re: El Mirage results
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2012, 02:34:16 AM »

Yea Nathan, to somebody like you, and your attitude [ and you know what I mean] it means nothing.

JL222

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2012, 03:22:32 AM »
Nate... yes it would be nice if 2nd round was held to number sequence like 1st round, but they arnt.... like i said we had #4 and went to the front of the line before the rest of the vehicles were released to go forward and the lady said go to the back.... she did look at our paper on our windshield, we told her we were #4 and she said it dosent apply to 2nd round... so we did as told... i think Tim had a 10ish number and was waiting a long time.... we were in the pits and when we heard the call we went up to see a huge line..... i would like to know what the procedure actually is for 2nd round

Offline RichFox

« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2012, 10:16:14 AM »
Well, I guess it would be unrealistic to draw hard lines about when to call an event and I agree the officials have a very difficult job dealing with so many different factors and personalities at every event. At some motorcycle road racing events I've done when it rained we had a riders meeting and voted on whether to continue or not. Crew chiefs, team owners, significant others, etc... were not allowed to vote. Riders had the final say. Period. We are all big boys and girls here and I'd much rather see the drivers and riders make the decision to run or pack it up after the officials had given us all the information about conditions.
   Before I go any further, maybe I should sit down and read the El Mirage handbook. :roll:
The drivers and riders and owners always have the option of not running. just because it's safe for a V4F/GR doesn't mean its safe for a B/BFS. As a big boy you should be able to make your own call

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2012, 10:45:09 AM »
Rich----You are SO spot on  "As a big boy you should be able to make your own call"

I will take that one step more---you SHOULD be expected to make the call for your car and "donkey"

I am a relative new comer  I have about 70 miles at above 200 in special construction cars--  with a whole lot of trials and tribulations ---some are documented some not---this makes me a real low timer as B'ville goes.

But you HAVE to have the mindset of a pilot in command of your ship  ---it is yours and yours alone to go when "THEY" say you can!!
I have gotten out of the car and pushed back twice --because several factors had caused me to become "unsettled" and not a proper "captain of my ship". wasn't me, the car, or my crew

Staging problems---the let Larry and Anne make the calls as to when to call for the next round: It doesn't help when others call for more problems when they are sorting out the ones there now!!!!

and give them some help and support---I am a "out of State GG"  so to comply with my clubs requirement to "attend" club functions I have helped in staging several times over the years---It helps for them to have a big guy who does not mind ruffling feathers to help keep things straight.  AS Glenn B pointed out communications is KEY!!

Oh by the way a lot of the marbles in the traps are caused by people getting on the brakes sooner and sooner untill--- I have seen folks get on the brakes way before the finish line
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline vintagehotrod

• New folks
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2012, 11:16:28 AM »
I recomend that we support the volenteers that control staging , its a thankless job and is something that we need to control line up. they could sure use some help there thats for sure. We have been runing mostly out of thr 2 line for many years without any problems with any of the other competition. Respect for starting line position goes along way. As far as the faster cars tearing up the track , we race on dirt people , the dirt tears up for many reasons , how about some research on the subject rather than pointing fingers. And as far as us "rich guys with bought equipment" , think again , we share the same spirit of the sport as any one of the other racers , build our own cars , engines and look for good prices on used stuff.
The 2 line is a huge safety factor for us , and a privelege for sure . we respect it and suport it!!

Offline FADED

« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2012, 11:41:08 AM »
the pre stage volenteers do a great job, but when racers start entering the lanes from all directions they loose control of the situation, this is what happend Sunday and its the worst I ever seen it in my short time we been running. I think it was the racers, we just need to have a little respect for other racers, be patient and wait your turn?  Sounds simple enough??
As far as the coarse getting torn up, that just make our ride funner!
When are they going to post the results so I can see how far back we're gonna start in Nov?

Offline racekid

• 701 C/GMR LeFevers & Jesel
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2012, 11:59:31 AM »
Maybe even have smaller number groups get called to staging, and then have a pre-stager sign them off and call the next numbers. 1-10, 11-20 and so forth. In reality the main vehicles that show up are the top 50, there were only 75 entries. We rarely make a second pass do to the course breaking up. So I dont worry as much about the issue as others, and honestly how many vehicles have  you seen get a record on a second round run.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:10:27 PM by racekid »

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2012, 12:07:17 PM »
i agree with most of what you said Lance... the racers were mostly at fault... but i do think the staging people did have control, when we went up the lady came over to us and told us to go to the back, which we did, they had the ability... but the problem is the 3 people working staging allowed racers to clog the lines before 2nd round was called... tim and Jack did the proper thing and waited patiently off to the side but dozens of others pulled in line and none of the 3 pre stage people kicked them out... i know it was late in the day and everyone was burnt but if your there to work a duty station, do it.... we drove up to the front to get around higher numbers is the only reason she came over, but none of the 3 walked up the lanes to toss any one out.... dont get me wrong, on the whole the club which has the duty station is donig a great job, i do remember how bad it used to be before this duty station was created, they just slipped alittle last weekend... and as Nate commented we were missing a lane steward which added to the frustration of all, as were waited 2 cars pushed up in the rookie lane to butt in, Dean would have tossed em out...

Offline racekid

• 701 C/GMR LeFevers & Jesel
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2012, 12:39:47 PM »
And btw I wasnt trying to say no second round runs. This el mirage event we were actually going to try something different on the second round pass, but after the crash we decided not to.I've always told friends at el mirage Get your moneys worth make as many passes as you can.

Offline roadsterswap

« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2012, 12:52:19 PM »
Still unclear.

Round two by group and no regard for numbers and first come first served? or

Round two by group and following numbers, regardless of when you arrive, unless the group has moved forward already?

I like the smaller group number ideas. 1-10, 11-20, It may help reduce the mass effect.

Offline jet966

• New folks
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »
I like the previous system.

Shoe polish your number on the push windshield. No extra trip to get a number sheet. No need to have extra volunteers for number sheet duty.

Instead, your group gets called, you show up, you seed generally near your adjacent competitor. Say +/- 10 positions or so.

If you happen to come along later, be polite about seeding yourself in line. Don't ask anyone to shoehorn in if they're already into the staging cones. It's too late by then,  :mrgreen:.

I guess I'm unaware of what difficulties we had that made us go to the current system. It seems people are having to wait even longer and getting into more conflict.

Either way, I'm hoping this gets cleared up before next month's two-day meet. I'd rather talk about something else over Saturday night fire.

:cheers:

-The Other Glen SCTA 966B
Wheel Tramps CC/MC
Land Speed Racers So-Cal

Offline jet966

• New folks
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2012, 02:33:25 PM »
...and yeah, I'll say it.

I miss Dean and his help too!

Was it something I said?  :|

Wheel Tramps CC/MC
Land Speed Racers So-Cal

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2012, 02:41:17 PM »
Back to staging for the first round . . .

Still think it would be a good idea to get the orange card at registration.  They know your entry number, even write your starting number at the top of your entry, if I remember correctly.  Why not hand you the orange window card at the same time?

This would save the staging people of spending time looking up the same data.  And of you having to get to the front of the line before getting it.  And, we could get in beter order BEFORE getting to the tent.  The only reason this is not being done, as explained to me by several officials, is that they don't want to screw with the lady who makes them up now.  (With that power, I may never see another 2- or 3-digit card again!)

Does someone see fault with my reasoning?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2012, 02:52:39 PM »
she did look at our paper on our windshield, we told her we were #4 and she said it dosent apply to 2nd round... so we did as told...

i think this might be where the problem started.  as best i can tell, you're supposed to follow the pre-stage procedures for all rounds.  i'm going to try and get clarification from someone higher-up as to what exactly the procedures mean in plain ol easy to understand engrish.

we were in the pits and when we heard the call we went up to see a huge line..... i would like to know what the procedure actually is for 2nd round

people hovering near pre-stage before they're called and then cramming themselves into line before they're even supposed to be there is another problem that needs to stop.  if you want to wait near by, fine do what tim and jack did and wait off to the side but if they're calling 1-25 and you're 140 you have no business being anywhere near pre-stage.

It helps for them to have a big guy who does not mind ruffling feathers to help keep things straight.

a big loud scary guy is definitley helpful (thus my comment about missing Moose... anyone else remember him?) but what would be even better is someone with some authority.  i think what's really happening is some folks see anne and think 'gah, what's she gunna do if i cut in line....' and don't get me wrong, she can drop the hammer if needed but really, what authority does she, or anyone else working pre-stage really have?  not everyone is going to do what kent did and go to the back as he was asked.  what would help them out significantly in the short term is to back the pre-stage workers with someone like a board member.  put some bite to it and make it official.

Still unclear.

Round two by group and no regard for numbers and first come first served? or

Round two by group and following numbers, regardless of when you arrive, unless the group has moved forward already?

tim, i think the second is supposed to be followed but currently isn't....?  i think what's supposed to be happening isn't happening.

anyways, one good piece of news... someone pm'd me and has offered to work as a line steward.  awesome.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline FADED

« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2012, 03:24:57 PM »
Now that us 7 members know what to do. I think maybe at the next drivers meeting we should have our rookie director go over it with the entire feild? And show some authority so they listen!! DAM IT!! :-D