Author Topic: Rookie Orientation  (Read 19643 times)

Offline Papi

Re: Rookie Orientation
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 12:33:36 AM »
After yesterday I think some of the "veterans" need to take rookie orientation to learn the rules.

What happened?  
Hey, by the way, enjoyed chatting with you. I think I was behind you after the meet on Palmdale and you made a left as we went straight to the freeway, Yes?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 01:01:14 AM by Papi »
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 09:55:17 AM »
On that note, what is considered minimum crew? If I run 1 bike can this be a single operation or do we need at least another body?

You can crew with us if needed. But it's always best practice to have another person, a tow vehicle/trailer.
Send me a note on barf/facebook and come down to my shop so we can go over all the stuff. Happy to help you anyway I can.

Thank you for a great offer, I know you have mentioned you would assist in the past. 
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline FADED

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 12:53:14 PM »

What happened?  
Hey, by the way, enjoyed chatting with you. I think I was behind you after the meet on Palmdale and you made a left as we went straight to the freeway, Yes?
[/quote]
Congrats on the record, I learned alot talking with you! See you in July, not going to be able to make June.

Offline Mac

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 01:11:18 PM »
"After yesterday I think some of the "veterans" need to take rookie orientation to learn the rules."

Driver/rider education is an ongoing process. SCTA made great headway in educating rookies when the new program was introduced and since then we have had very few problems with new drivers and riders.

At registration we give out a bright green reminder sheet containing a course map and 10 important points. That sheet is directed at the non-rookie. Let us know if you have any great ideas at reaching the masses.

Miriam

Offline FADED

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 07:35:33 PM »
"After yesterday I think some of the "veterans" need to take rookie orientation to learn the rules."

Driver/rider education is an ongoing process. SCTA made great headway in educating rookies when the new program was introduced and since then we have had very few problems with new drivers and riders.

At registration we give out a bright green reminder sheet containing a course map and 10 important points. That sheet is directed at the non-rookie. Let us know if you have any great ideas at reaching the masses.

Miriam

Oh I dont know..... maybe rookie orientation (class only) every 5 years? Theres not alot going on at 4pm the day before a race anyways. I know I've done it twice, once for me and once with my son. I learned alot, Nate does an awesome job!

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 10:22:19 PM »
I like going to all meetings including rookie.
and it's nice to have everyone with me at those meetings.

different tracks, different procedures, different pull outs for okay and not OK.

Franey

bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 10:44:10 PM »
I worked with Nathan on rookie orientation on Friday to mainly assist with the motorcycle side however as good as he does it he and others can always use the help.  What I found as a racer was that it kept me from doing course walk and seeing the course firsthand.

I also had to take time away from working on my bike since we brought nearly a new bike (front end, swing arm, body work, wiring, shield etc) so I am not sure I will be doing it again however I want to say thank you to Nathan, Mike and all of the volunteers for what they do!

Offline Papi

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 02:12:16 PM »
Oh I dont know..... maybe rookie orientation (class only) every 5 years? Theres not alot going on at 4pm the day before a race anyways. I know I've done it twice, once for me and once with my son. I learned alot, Nate does an awesome job!

We (as in me and whoever is in our little crew) do the RO every year regardless. If somebody new tags along, I make it mandatory they do the RO, whether they are schlepping sammiches or on the starting line with me. It really helps get the head inline with whats going on, seeing changes in realtime, and helping new crew feel comfortable with procedures.

Your basic idea of a refresher course is a good one. But also what Miriam said, education is continuos, for all of us, riders/drivers/crew alike. It's easy to get into a comfort zone and make mistakes. All in all, the SCTA does a great job keeping us all safe, including spectators/photogs/media what have you. We should continue with extreme respect for what our volunteers like Nate, Miriam, Bill, Jim and so many others do for us.

In that spirit, we are all stewards of one another. Fostering positive attitudes about safety first with each other should always be the prime goal, next to going fast of course.

:cheers:
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline slimjim

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 11:08:01 PM »
Well said, Papi. :cheers:

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 10:34:56 AM »
I worked with Nathan on rookie orientation on Friday to mainly assist with the motorcycle side however as good as he does it he and others can always use the help.  What I found as a racer was that it kept me from doing course walk and seeing the course firsthand.

I also had to take time away from working on my bike since we brought nearly a new bike (front end, swing arm, body work, wiring, shield etc) so I am not sure I will be doing it again however I want to say thank you to Nathan, Mike and all of the volunteers for what they do!

John, thank you for your help.  I'd certainly like to have you join in again if you can find the time in the future.   
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 09:05:56 PM »
Dan Warner must be on vacation and there is nothing posted on the July meet. Got anything Nathan?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 09:23:25 PM »
Dan and his girlfriend were going to Italy (or was it France) for a 30th wedding anniversary trip.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 10:46:34 AM »
That's not right!

He shudda taken his wife.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 11:00:54 AM »
Got anything Nathan?

See the El Mirage 2013 thread.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline dw230

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 06:16:31 AM »
In order to ease Stan's concerns the lovely Joanie is indeed with me. Currently having lunch in France, on the Rhone River headed to Lyon with Viking River Cruises. Awesome deal! Oh, here comes the free wine with lunch guy - gotta go.

Aurevoir,

DW

BTW, just now we were invited to have dinner with the captain tomorrow night. I must have the biggest bar tab.
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth