Author Topic: Rookie Orientation  (Read 19677 times)

Offline NathanStewart

Rookie Orientation
« on: October 19, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »
Rookie Orientation at El Mirage

The RO is a TWO part class and you must attend both parts before you can run.  The first part of the class always starts the day BEFORE the race.  The June, July, September & October meets are all regular one day events and we always race on Sunday.  This means the class starts on SATURDAY. 

The May & November meets are two day events and we race on Saturday and Sunday and there are two RO classes.  This means the first class starts on FRIDAY and the second class starts on SATURDAY.  You will not be able to run on Saturday unless you attend the RO class on Friday. 

The RO starts at 4:00 pm for all events EXCEPT November; the November RO starts at 3:00 pm.  Again, you must attend both parts of the class before you can run.  Do not show up on Sunday and expect to run because you won't be able to.  We always meet at the car tech/registration area and I'm usually there a few minutes early and I usually wait at least a few minutes for any late arrivals.  Please bring a support vehicle (car or truck, not ATV/golf cart/side-by-side) with a working CB radio.

Please feel free to post questions in this thread or PM or you can call me (my number is in the rule book).  Thanks!         
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline NathanStewart

Re: Rookie Orientation
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
Hey Slim, howzabout a sticky?  Please.   :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »
There -- all better now?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 04:26:04 PM »
Yup, thanks!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 02:11:11 AM »
 :cheers:

Offline Turbofan

• New folks
  • Martin
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 08:44:50 PM »
As a first time Rookie I will add to the consensus that Nathan's orientation was absolutely the best and I really appreciate the time and dedication he gives to the class. 

Nathan, I do have one observation you may find amusing.  You mentioned how you were amazed that some people get in the middle of the course and can't see the finish line, which was clearly visible from the starting line!  Happened to me and I can explain what happened.  Somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 mile out it was a little bumpy and I missed a shift into high.  Then I looked down to see the speed and rpm and figure out if I was already in high (motorcycle, it can happen).  When I looked up the finish line had disappeared.  It is a phenomenon called 'accommodation'.  When you look down at the instruments, your eye focuses on the instruments and when you look back up on a (relatively) featureless horizon, there is no point of focus so your eyes, (well, not yours, but my old eyes) don't accommodate fast enough and finish line is completely invisible.

Your excellent preparation was much appreciated. 

My instinct, was, "shit, I missed the finish and I should be stopping" but I could recognize that the single cones meant I wasn't there yet.  (As slow as I am I really had a lot of time to think about all this).  Looking at the single cones and looking at them progressively farther down the course brought them, and the finish into focus.  This all happens really fast, but if you just stared out into the distance, the finish line might be very elusive, especially if you were looked back down to the instruments. 

Anyway, I had a great time (and a long time :oops:) and expect to do better next year! 
"Live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this than some people do in a lifetime"... and on a bike as slow as mine, the mile does seem to take 5 minutes!

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:32:34 PM »
Is there a RO sign up list started for the May event?
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 12:52:11 AM »
Nope, no list. Just show up. Times are in the first post.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 04:06:11 PM »
As a first time Rookie I will add to the consensus that Nathan's orientation was absolutely the best and I really appreciate the time and dedication he gives to the class. 

Nathan, I do have one observation you may find amusing.  You mentioned how you were amazed that some people get in the middle of the course and can't see the finish line, which was clearly visible from the starting line!  Happened to me and I can explain what happened.  Somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 mile out it was a little bumpy and I missed a shift into high.  Then I looked down to see the speed and rpm and figure out if I was already in high (motorcycle, it can happen).  When I looked up the finish line had disappeared.  It is a phenomenon called 'accommodation'.  When you look down at the instruments, your eye focuses on the instruments and when you look back up on a (relatively) featureless horizon, there is no point of focus so your eyes, (well, not yours, but my old eyes) don't accommodate fast enough and finish line is completely invisible.

Your excellent preparation was much appreciated. 

My instinct, was, "Subaru, I missed the finish and I should be stopping" but I could recognize that the single cones meant I wasn't there yet.  (As slow as I am I really had a lot of time to think about all this).  Looking at the single cones and looking at them progressively farther down the course brought them, and the finish into focus.  This all happens really fast, but if you just stared out into the distance, the finish line might be very elusive, especially if you were looked back down to the instruments. 

Anyway, I had a great time (and a long time :oops:) and expect to do better next year! 

I don't know how but I managed to not see this until yesterday.  Excellent descriptive and yes, I can certainly understand how that can happen.  I think over time you build a familiarity to your vehicle and the course.  You learn to "know" where you are and how long your runs are and when and where to do certain things like shift or take your hand off the shifter and put both hands on the wheel or whatever it is you might be doing.  All of this of course takes time to develop and there certainly is a learning curve for beginners.  I think my dismay of those who claim to not see the finish line is when it comes from experienced drivers/riders.  There really isn't much of an acceptable reason (excuse?) for blowing through the finish line IMO. 

Thanks for the feedback.  Looking forward to seeing you out there again. 

Offline Papi

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 11:24:32 AM »
Even if you have taken the RO prior, it's always a great idea to do it again if you have new crew. Helps them understand the what nots. Thank you Nathan for providing this valuable service.
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 10:24:24 PM »
On that note, what is considered minimum crew? If I run 1 bike can this be a single operation or do we need at least another body?
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 12:12:49 AM »
You will be doing some long distance walking if you don't have a helper to drive your tow vehicle.... race vehicles are not driven anywhere but the race course. 
With that said, lots of folks are willing to help you out...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Papi

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 11:43:48 AM »
On that note, what is considered minimum crew? If I run 1 bike can this be a single operation or do we need at least another body?

You can crew with us if needed. But it's always best practice to have another person, a tow vehicle/trailer.
Send me a note on barf/facebook and come down to my shop so we can go over all the stuff. Happy to help you anyway I can.

Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline RichFox

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 11:50:36 AM »
That's a good offer. Papi will be a real help to you or anyone needing it.

Offline FADED

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 12:11:03 PM »
After yesterday I think some of the "veterans" need to take rookie orientation to learn the rules.