Author Topic: Bonneville NW Reunion 2013  (Read 31683 times)

Offline TwinSpin

Re: Bonneville NW Reunion 2013
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2013, 02:18:38 PM »
Hello Freud - -

I agree with and echo all the ovations already expressed about the reunion. In addition, there was an important component to me.

I am teaching my 11 year old daughter about my love for racecars and my 50 year dream to run on the salt.  This reunion with speakers Tom, Betty, and Marlo on Friday night and all in attendance from near and far, helped my daughter understand why I crave for the competition and camaraderie that Bonneville provides. More specific, the reunion showed her the caliber of friends you make in this sport. It helps her to better understand who her only parent is and why I'm willing to spend the time and money on a future racecar. I have already taught her that people judge YOU, by the friends that you associate with. This reunion helped to make that point, I'm proud to say.

In the same light, thanks to Tom and Betty for showing the importance of making racing a family activity, one in which many "life" lessons can be learned. They sure hit the nail on the head for me on that one. Rizzy was honored to obtain the autographs of both Tom and Betty on a picture of the 411 streamliner. I also want to note, while am still new to this sport as a spectator, it was so easy to talk with Tom and Betty in the breakfast room on the morning after the Banquet, just before they left to get on the train home. We talked as though we were friends and co-racers for years.

I can't wait to pull together all my loose ends to build a racer for the salt and finally have my first timing slip in hand. Then, the N.W. Bonneville Reunion will be even more meaningful to Rizzy and me.

One last thing. I now have the confidence that when I draw the final design for my future racer, I could pass it by Tom Burkland for his go ahead approval or for suggestions of modifications. This is most meaningful to me since I haven't raced for 45 years. I really like this Reunion concept. Thanks Freud for pulling everyone together. See you next year on February 22.

Bill

Offline salt nut

• New folks
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »
Thank you all for your kind words.  Tom & I both had a ball telling our story/stories.  Like I told Freud quite a while ago, the problem is not getting us started talking . . . it is getting us to quit!  Thanks again.  We had a wonderful time! 
Betty Burkland
Montana's #1 Salt Nut

Offline salt nut

• New folks
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »
Oops!  I guess you can tell I don't do this very often . . . I should have signed my name to my earlier note!
Betty Burkland (Montana's No. 1 Salt Nut)
Betty Burkland
Montana's #1 Salt Nut

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2013, 03:49:29 PM »
   That's okay Betty, probably just a little surface rust (Bonneville Loctite as you well know..).
   We all hope You, Tom, and any other Montana Riffraff will come back next year.                 
                                                                                                      Thanx again, One Run Bob
Bob Drury

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »
Oops!  I guess you can tell I don't do this very often . . . I should have signed my name to my earlier note!
Betty Burkland (Montana's No. 1 Salt Nut)

Salt Nut....Betty...this is pure understatement....

I remember very well a World of Speed....this was the meet where you earned your Red Hat....I had one roll of slide film left over and kept it for you to get your parachute picture of the record run....

but not only this I remember....there was a 125 mph license run...which ends up at the 6 mile....after a (I think it was) 236 mph through the five....and someone has to run over your parachute to get you stopped....I think someone was very excited....

Salt Nut....okay....I would call it more a "Hell of a Salt Racer".....

Stay so crazy and stay upright....looking for to see you in August this year at the salt....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2013, 05:54:42 PM »
I just finished putting photos of the Reunion and associated activities on the server:
http://bonnevillenwreunion.com/gallery/2013/Welcome.html

Betty, would it be ok if I used the photos you had and added them to that site?  They'd make a wonderful addition to it.

Thanks,

Offline Freud

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2013, 06:53:59 PM »
Thanks Ray.

You are a marvelous addition to our team.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2013, 08:54:09 PM »
Ray and Freud:

Great post. Great pictures.

Thanks for the update,

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Freud

« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2013, 09:09:21 PM »
Bill, maybe you can attend next year........

I'd love that.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2013, 09:55:01 PM »
Doc.

That would make it the NW / SE Reunion!

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Freud

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2013, 10:00:14 PM »
Now that the reunion is a week behind me I need to do some payback.

Jon, I wish to THANK YOU and NANCY for the support you provided by posting the

event on Landracing.com home page. I never even got around to sending you a

schedule of the event.  You just dug it out of the mud and posted it for everyone to see.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Having attended and been a worker in the past, you know how unorganized the event is.

There was nothing unorganized about the way you supported us.

I'm just hoping that February 22, 1914 both of you can attend.

People left shaking their head: disgusted or couldn't believe it?

It seemed to lean toward the latter..............sigh.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2013, 10:11:25 PM »
Yep FerD it was an unbelievable event... don't know how an old fart pulls off hosting an event 200 miles from home, gets great speakers to entertain us 2 nights in a row and a show and tell.
I knew it was time to go when the hotel staff started blinking the lights.... off to the hotel bar for more.  One day you should try the food, it was good.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »
Wheelrdealer,

I lived in Florida for 40 years and when I retired 2 years ago, I moved to Oregon to be within commuting distance from Bonneville. Plus, the NW Reunion is a short drive away and it is the real thing. Plenty of friends to talk with and meet new ones, not to forget the great speakers. I'm sorry I didn't FLY UP for previous NW Reunions now that I have attended for the last two years. . .

Did I say fly up. . . hint - hint.

Bill

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2013, 02:19:26 PM »
Ray The Rat --

Our appreciation to you for a replay of our great time at the NW Reunion through your pictures. Rizzy and I looked at all of them. I'll PM you to order a few copies.

Freud - -

Thanks again for making our weekend feel like we were at Bonneville with our good friends again. I often caught myself looking at the carpet in the hotel to see if I left any white footprints.

I too thank Jon and Nancy for posting the Reunion info on this forum. This is my home base for all my landracing needs.

Bill

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »
Freud asked me to be the original guest speaker ( Meet the Timer) what an honor to be there and several others over the years. I remember the sweating Freud was going thru to make it happen and the turnout was awesome as was the food. There were so many people getting to meet the first time even though they probably crossed paths on the salt and never met until this gathering. I look back at the pictures and was asked to fill in a few times during the event as Freud was busy and was again honored to introduce several of the other speakers in the years to follow. I have missed the last few but will work on that so we can attend next year. Put it in your plans as it's a event well worth your time and even the side shows he arranges are well worth the extra day or two.
Freud, thank you so much for this wonderful gathering each year. :cheers: :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah