Author Topic: Bonneville NW Reunion 2013  (Read 31659 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Bonneville NW Reunion 2013
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 11:11:06 AM »
We were thinking of coming over Friday Bob, while the pawn shops are still open... we will just gather enough stuff to pay for your beer tab when you take us on the brewery tour.... oh, you're buying  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 01:17:04 AM »
  I don't know if Freud has any tours set up for Saturday morning, but if he doesn't, I will see if my friend Jack Coonrod might be willing to open his Private Motor Cycle/Drag Racing Museum again.  He has a 1910 Indian Belt Drive and many other Indian's, Triumphs, BSA's and Vincent's along with several famous drag racing cars.
  I may be getting the cart ahead of the horse here, but he owes me a few favors, and I am bigger than him, so let me know if you are interested, and if worst scenario happens, we will storm the doors and see it with or without him..
  Hopefully he will forget our last visit where a hung over Stainless tried to mount Jack's Dasheund (Weiner-dog* who incidently won the Weiner-dog Nationals at the local Dog Track  a few years back)................................ Bob

* no relation to our Esteemed Grand Poobah, Jon Weinerberg............................................... Bob
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 01:19:51 AM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 12:05:44 PM »
Bob... Bob.... Bob... You promised you would never bring that up if I gave you your wallet back....  :-D

Coonrod's place is very cool, a must see folks, hopefully that and Marlo's liner tour prior to a great dinner with friends and LSR family.

Stainless

Offline Freud

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »
Folks, beside the opportunities that I suggested pay attention to the alternatives that Bob suggests.

He lives down there and has more ideas than do I.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 10:29:38 PM »
  Yeah, but most of my ideas are "dirty".
  I would definately suggest that  If Marlo does have a time and place to view his car, any and all of you should not miss it and then you can schedule your day around it.
                                                                        Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Freud

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 01:28:27 AM »
The time will be between 11:00 AM and 1:00PM.

It will be at his hanger in Aurora, Oregon.

Directions will be made available.

You don't need them tonight.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Tom Burkland

• New folks
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 12:57:51 AM »
Mom and I are looking forward to meeting many of you in Portland next month for the reunion. Since we have been convinced to do the presentation after dinner on Saturday evening it would be helpful if you have any special interest items you would like included to mention  them here. We will do our best to cover these subjects of interest during the limited time available Saturday. It has become apparent as she and I have discussed the various early racing efforts leading to the first Studebaker, the B210 comp coupe, Trackmaster connection, and finally the 411 streamliner spread over 40+ years of active land speed racing that we are going to have to cut this down and squeeze it to get inside the allocated time frame. There are so many interesting technical details and human interest stories woven into the whole effort. I would also like to leave a reasonable amount of time for questions from the audience at the conclusion of the formal presentation.
Let us know what you would like to hear that has not already been said or published.
Thanks
Tom Burkland 

Offline barrybill

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 06:29:29 PM »
I stopped by Glens today to pay for my tickets. Had a nice chat and met the kitty's. I would encourage everyone to get their tickets ASAP as it helps Glen reserve the time at the Hotel and get a total count. Hope so see you all their. Barry

Offline Freud

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 10:36:46 PM »
Thanks Barry. I liked that you could stop by.

See you at the hotel.

You gotta be OK. The cat accepted you immediately.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 11:19:39 AM »
So hopefully FeRd has allotted Tom and Betty about 6 hours....  :-D  I suspect it would take that long to scratch the surface of their racing history.  Yes, I know we get kicked out well before that... Tom, besides the history I hope you tell us you have a plan for Cooks this year...
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 11:29:27 AM »
Yeah, but a lot go to the bar afterwards and continue until the wee hours of the next morning and continue in the free breakfast in the hotel lobby. Yes you will be tired and hopefully in time for your airline trip home.  :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 11:21:55 AM »
Tom - -

I have a special interest topic to suggest. As you and Betty relate your stories and experiences, don't forget to mention that landracing is a family sport. This is what I'm trying to teach my 11 year old daughter. We have been to Bonneville as spectators for two years and I plan to build something to run after I get all my foreclosure red tape behind me.

In addition, I have promoted my daughter getting the autographs of as many female drivers as possible to show her how well they are doing against the boys. Betty is a great example for this. I predict my daughter will develop the love of the sport as I have and following in my tire marks on the salt.

Looking forward to your visit at the reunion.

Bill and Rizzy

Offline Freud

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 10:55:20 PM »
Bill you are doing a marvelous job with Rizzy.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »
FREUD - -

Thanks for your comments on my job as a Daddy. You always have nice things to say.

Allow me to suggest something for the banquet. Back in 2011, Ray The Rat developed a short series of photos, perhaps with a sound track, that is used by the Target 550 Team to show their way of saying Thank You to the Burkland Family for their "dedication, motivation and inspiration" to the sport of landracing. I believe you can view these on the Target 550 web site. May I suggest that this would be a great presentation for all to see during the social hour before we eat dinner.

Let me also mention that Tom Burkland sent me a PM about my suggestion to mention the significance of "Family" in their racing history stories, specifically his family and the extended racing family too, that Bonneville is know for.

I was impressed he went out of his way to communicated with me. Here he is, someone who is at the top of his sport, taking the time to talk with me, me a non-racer (yet), as though I was a fellow competitor that he knew for years. Freud, I believe you made a perfect selection for the speakers at this years banquet.  :cheers:

Bill

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 05:51:29 PM »
i'll be attending for my first time.looking forward to meeting you folks and hopefully pickin your brains on roadster stuff. oh, and im gonna go fetch a bacon maple bar and check out the spruce goose. thats gonna be cool.       mitchell