Author Topic: FIM Cycle-car Streamliner  (Read 24940 times)

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
Re: FIM Cycle-car Streamliner
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 03:52:22 PM »
Chris, tomorrow I've got a business meeting at the corner of walk and don't walk that will either be a waste of time or allow me to escape the clutches of she-who-thinks-she-must-be-obeyed.  If it goes well, I can perhaps move on with life and reclaim my former stature as a hobbyist, rather than this prolonged indentured servitude about which there was nothing written on our Canadian marriage license.  When I get back to having hobby cars for which I answer to no one, maybe buy another airplane, and travel on my schedule, not that of senior management.

And, I can have the  project in the safe hands of a guy in Mukilteo, so she never sees it.  Hoo and rah.

Do you want this audio stuff sent to your house or the store?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:55:33 PM by Moxnix »
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »
Addy sent.  I've got an FM receiver put aside, and I think I found a new mixer.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline bak189

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 04:36:01 PM »
FIM Charlie...does not do the BUB Meet........Are you planning on using a passenger?????  About 30 years ago I build a Cycle-car for a Brit using a Vincent engine for power.....ran fast and straight on UK. airport runways......
if I recall at 148mph..............................................................................
That is faster than most solo bike Vincents..........except for a few..............
Good luck with the project.....................................................................

PS> make the driver and passenger ride in a kneeling position....makes for a low profile........(passenger behind the driver)

PS>PS. Make it with a fairly long wheelbase.....for safety..........................

Question authority.....always

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 05:27:53 PM »
Bob, long is a given, and I'd like to avoid single rear wheel drive.  My penchant for & experience with Morgans has me thinking it would only be a solo job.  My old stuff was pretty flexible in the chassis. S&S may be arranging to have one at BUB in the future as they supply the X-Wedge for the new version out of England.  Hadn't thought of passenger seating, until you mentioned it.  Two would add some ballast for traction, no question.  A kneeler-cycle-car, now that is something to chew on.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 07:06:23 PM »
Interesting project.  Sorry I didn't meet you at BUB, but it's hard to identify someone by an avatar of an old Morgan! 

Two wheels up front solves a large problem compared to a motorcycle, which always seems to have the front wheel in front of your face.  This means the top of your helmets is about 36" off the ground (because the minimum wheel size is 15") if you want to be able to see where you're going (very important).  I'm thinking you want a nice low profile motor, like BMW, Gold Wing (can you make those things run?), or even an inline four if you can get it laid back or maybe sideways with shaft drive to the front. BAK says make it a kneeler; maybe go one step further and make it a lay-down, but you will need to add a chest rest and a chin rest to keep your head up. Keep us posted.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 10:18:56 PM »
Max, the USFRA lets all sorts of odd vehicles run.  Maybe there might be some opportunities there.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 10:34:47 PM »
Sorry I missed you, Concrete.  I was on a short leash behind the radio announcer's trailer.  Bo, I like the WoS meet, but who knows.  FIM has the class for cycle-car and if I focus on that, it's more affordable.  By the way, the world's fastest sidecar, Hayabusa powered, is on eBay under race vehicles, 224 top speed so far.  Hmmm . . .

Offline maj

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 10:42:06 PM »
you could do worse  :wink:
not hard to convert that to cyclecar if you didn't like the sidecar

Offline Tman

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »
Sorry I missed you, Concrete.  I was on a short leash behind the radio announcer's trailer.  Bo, I like the WoS meet, but who knows.  FIM has the class for cycle-car and if I focus on that, it's more affordable.  By the way, the world's fastest sidecar, Hayabusa powered, is on eBay under race vehicles, 224 top speed so far.  Hmmm . . .

Found that one, interesting sub-section to peruse.

Offline dw230

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 08:13:33 PM »
"Max, the USFRA lets all sorts of odd vehicles run.  Maybe there might be some opportunities there."

For what record? They don't run FIM and the SCTA does not have a class for the configuration.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 09:07:50 PM »
If you goal is to someday run the Diesel..............consider the Gold Wing...........BACKWARDS

Fairly narrow wheelbase for a frontend with single rear steering..........it would handle like a tail-wheeled airplane.  Recline in front of the motor or kneel / lay over it. I'm older than you, but I'm offering to ride (drive) the trike.  Slender tire profile all around. The hard decision and engineering will be the front drive for one or two wheels.   
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 10:31:24 PM »
The eBay item would be interesting to convert to rwd, 2 rear wheels, enclosed, as long as it's not delegated to a trike class.  I'd like to see the front end, likely an Earles, which would work quite well for my needs.  Coupla' Goodyears of appropriate size and Bob's yer uncle.  If it passes FIM scrutiny.

Offline Hellcat Customs

Re: Re: FIM Cycle-car Streamliner
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 10:45:18 AM »
I think a vehicle with 3 wheels leaving 3 sets of tracks would be considered a trike right?

Offline bak189

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »
Hey.....I got a fast sidecar for sale at half that price.....can also be made into Cycle-car
By the way......rear wheel steering does not work....been there.....

Our sidecar outfit is going up for auction this comming Jan. 2013........................
Question authority.....always

Offline dw230

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 11:32:49 AM »
"Fairly narrow wheelbase for a frontend with single rear steering"

Not allowed under SCTA car rules. I did not research the bike side. As mentioned, does not work for LSR.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth