Author Topic: FIM Cycle-car Streamliner  (Read 24933 times)

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
FIM Cycle-car Streamliner
« on: October 14, 2012, 10:38:48 PM »
A build diary.  Hmm.  Does that mean I have to stop sucking wind and complete a project?  Always thought it would  be a bike of some sort, long, low, with all the best elements of properly going over 2 with a big guy and four underhead camshafts working pushrods I could get from (now) former chief bike inspector Tom out at the BNI meets, Jack D. via email, and looking at what bikes that made big numbers in past decades from S&S, etc.

It was the trip to BUB that did it.  That, and a business opportunity to continue with a diesel aircraft two-stroke with turbocharging program.

Category 1, Group B3, Division C, Class to be determined by engine size, Type 2: forced induction.

Now, to take the collection of scribblings on restaurant napkins and index cards, engineering tablets and the occasional brain fart written down on a snippet of paper while driving forth and back from the salt flats, run them through the cerebral grinder and come up with a chassis.  Long, low, and roomy enough for a 6' plus galoot to have an iced latte cup holder close at hand, hence up-sized from the garden variety sarcophagus that cuts the wind muchy goody.  

I stopped in Salina, UT, to ogle the belly tank of our man Elmo Rodge, thinking a bike chassis running under the back cover would work a treat.  Or, with single wheel forward, a bolt in trike system w/ belt drive.  Hmm, still a lot of food for thought being digested on that route.

And then, and then, and then that red TR6 with front wheel drive at World Finals gave me pause for thought (nod, nod, wink, wink to Stan Back when he stopped by the Landracing.com trailer and took time for a chin wag on said subject).

Now one finds oneself considering one of the great hordes of unfinished Bede 5D projects littering garages and barns across the purple mountains and fruited plain.  Build a legal cage to fit.

But, the front part of the cycle-car will house, under an aero front of undecided nature and design, an fwd with Hayabusa or some such turbocharged motorcycle engine between cockpit and front end.

Of course, if the air-cooled aircraft boxer motor gets far enough along, then it gets the engine compartment.  Of the three in development, 260 hp is the largest air-cooled model.  The already certified 450 hp drone motor developed for the guv'mint is better held back for a light-ish helicopter as I'd like to see a redesign and balance the crank w/o tungsten slugs.

Well, there it is.  As soon as I sweep the remnant webcast audio parts off my drafting table the doodles will appear on paper, though I expect to upgrade to new design software from what's been on the on the iMac since Methuselah.

If I don't post for awhile, it's cause I'm out earning a living.  But ideas on a chassis will be welcome and considered.  Blatant insults will be taken to heart and I'll throw my hands in the air, stop work, and wander to a corner seat to drink my Missouri red plonk while feeling sorry for myself.  No, I'll just crawl back in my sanctum santorum and keep figgerin' the adds and take aways.

I was going to call the first, now abandoned, M/C project, "Natty Bumpo" with a nod to James Finemore Cooper.  Now, I dunno.  Maybe MoxNix Cycle-car until it's time to fill in the entry paperwork and add decals.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 10:41:26 PM by Moxnix »
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Frankie7799

Re: FIM Cycle-car Streamliner
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 11:38:49 PM »
As a newbie to the boards, itll be interesting to see a build like this from the start. Im hoping that maybe by this time ill be able to start my own build diary. Looking foward to future updates Mox.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 11:08:20 AM »
Just DO IT 8-) 8-) 8-)

Show us the paper napkin.....make it a board-build :wink:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 11:16:11 AM »
I've a big white board on the wall.

Mandeola transaxle might work well with the air cooled boxer flat 4.

The wife has plans for the (my) garage.  I think I'll do the build in Mukilteo, WA.

Firefox sent me a pop-up this morning to go buy a new computer as mine, operated by running two sticks together, will not run newer version of their software.  My designer bought himself a new one last fall.  Gotta' keep up  with the contract help.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 11:39:59 AM »
http://www.fim-live.com/fileadmin/alfresco/Codes_et_reglements/RECORDS_DU_MONDE_Eng.pdf
Group B3 Cycle-cars
3-wheeled vehicles making three tracks on the ground forming a complete integral unit and having accommodation for a rider and
passenger.
A cycle-car is a motorcycle with 3 wheels differing from a Sidecar in that 2 of the wheels are mounted on the same geometric horizontal
axis. These may be on the front or rear of the vehicle and shall ensure stability of the vehicle.
Steering must be by handlebars with a minimum length of 500 mm or by a wheel with a minimum diameter of 300 mm.
The passenger can be by the side of the rider but not necessarily in the same frontal alignment. He can also be placed behind the rider.
If bodywork does not enclose the wheels, wheels must be protected by mudguards.

Category I
Motorcycles propelled by the action of one wheel in contact with the ground.

Ok, that is where Group B3 is listed. But not in the records.
That would be like a Can-Am Spyder with a single rear wheel drive and two front steering wheels.

http://www.fim-live.com/en/sport/world-records-attempts/events/
In the list of records Group B3 is listed as Category II "Motorcycles propelled by the action of two wheels in contact with the ground."
There is a record listed for a Lehman Trike in partially streamlined. That is a two rear wheel driven vehicle.

Under streamliner BuddFab is listed with no name, speed, date, only BuddFab. And that's a sidecar, not a cycle car.
No other records are listed. Looks like a world record is yours no matter what you run.

It looks like it has to be a Category II to drive both wheels fwd or rwd. Category I drives a single wheel.
In the rules the only group in Category II is A1 Solo Motorcycles. In the records the only group in Category II is B3 Cyclecars.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Freud

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »
Moxnix I live 10 miles from Mukilteo, WA.  May meet u face to face before we meet on the Salt.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SteveM

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 11:56:28 AM »
Let the sparks start flying.  I vote for building it in Webster, so I can come by and help.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 12:00:40 PM »
Hmmm, Webster close enough to where the FlatCad is for me to help too!

Good luck with the build!  :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 12:38:44 PM »
Dean, I've got my 10-year old BUB FIM Classification Flowchart, so I'm a bit late on progress from my original interest.

Looking at 2014, have the FIM contact info for to whom pictures and progress reports will be sent so as not to have to re-invent the wheel.

Double the traction for a FWD/fwd/front wheel drive and steering just seems prudent compared to a single rear wheel drive vis a vis Morgan, etc.  

Looking at a front module for the engine and drive train, center cockpit module for the cockpit, and rear module for the wheel and crisp aero off the back, sorta like a pub dart with a set of covered wheels out front, airfoil over the suspension.  

Open record.  Yes.  But if it comes out well, you and I will both know if it's actually fast or just another minimum for the next racer to surpass with less cubes.  Besides, I'll just run it, gun it, see what it can do, hose it off at the truck stop and drop it off on loan at the new museum to be critiqued by people far more experienced than I.  Perhaps I'll learn something.

Freud, I'd like to do it in Mukilteo, so I don't get yelled at here at the maison de sante (crazy house), and drag my oldest out for a bit of trout fishing on occasion.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:42:04 PM by Moxnix »

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 11:55:16 PM »
Re-reading build diaries.  Back in a few weeks.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 01:17:44 AM »
The FIM wants to see pictures of your ride a couple of months before the meet.   There also is a lot of paperwork and a physical with a stress test and an electroechocardiogram.  A competitor needs to ask Linnea for an entry packet, last year's is OK, and read it completely.  Then it is a good idea to plan a schedule so everything happens when it should. 

My best advice is to keep everything real simple and work on one thing at a time.  As an example, at first I would build the rolling chassis and get it sorted with a totally standard NA engine and minimal electronics.  This might take a year or two for a busy person with a life besides racing.  Then I would work on the motor.  The trick is to develop the chassis, add power until more chassis work is needed, then work on getting the chassis right, then add more power, etc.

It took me several years until I was organized enough to run FIM and I have a relatively simple build.   

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 10:01:25 AM »
Bo, thanks for the advice.  That's why I'm thinking 2014, and not sure I'll be the driver, anyway.  I've considered an easier route to expedite progress, but it would mean a single rear drive wheel.  Luckily, all the threads that can keep one up late perusing have so much reader/racer input, a prudent approach may have all the little things noted and taken care of by default.  FIM has the extra hoops, certainly, but no other organization offers the cycle-car class.  This project will have mulling and conjecture in design, as a distraction from livelyhood responsibilities and obligations, I'll just have to see what shakes out.  Motorcycle engine, NA, is a given, unless the diesel is ready.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 11:04:53 AM »
Max, please note that the ECG requirement is for racers over 50 years old.  Also note that you must be a member of (whichever) countries' sanctioning organisation - in this case, the American Motorcyclist Ass'n.  For help other than what you'd get from Linnea you can contact FIM Charlie (Charles Hennekam, Switzerland, but very good English) at charles.hennekam (at) fim.ch.  Charlie is ofter out of the office for weeks at a time, but he will be able to help in many ways.  He attends the Shootout - and I imagine he goes to Bub's, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »
Thanks.  A different chap was at BUB doing the FIM oversight.  Can't race at BUB w/o AMA membership and an AMA sticker on your bike, too, so that's a given.  If I send progress photos and such to Drew, here in the States, I believe he will cover the Swiss end getting it.  Build for SCTA, add the FIM requirements, and feel the vehicle is skookum chuck safe, take the stress test, then pay the entry.  Or, find a driver under 50.  Less than two years.  So little time.  No kidding.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 11:24:06 AM »
Max, this is long overdue.

Imagine the unimagined, and make it move.

You've been serving the LSR community for a long time.  Go belly up to the buffet.  

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: