Author Topic: Fuel pressure gauge  (Read 9025 times)

Offline JoeBlystfk

• Bonneville 2012 City of Burbank Streamliner 60 years
Fuel pressure gauge
« on: October 12, 2012, 08:35:50 PM »
Perhaps a dumb question, but how does the rule that says no parts of the fuel system may be in the cockpit affect the installation of a mechanical fuel pressure gauge in the dash ?

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: Fuel pressure gauge
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 08:42:05 PM »
Elecrtic gauge or an isolation adaptor between the line with fuel and the gauge. see Summit, Jegs ect.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 09:41:54 PM »
The one in the liner has glycerin in the line between the isolator and gauge
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 09:42:52 PM »
That's not a dumb question at all... the purpose of a fuel pressure isolator is to keep a ruptured gauge line from spraying fuel into the cockpit. The isolator itself must be mounted outside the cockpit or the whole purpose is compromised.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline JoeBlystfk

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 10:33:53 PM »
That's why I love the internet.....thanks

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 10:51:57 PM »
You should also use line isolators on your oil line and hydraulic clutch line.  A friend of mine made this up for my vintage race car I road race. It does the fuel, oil and the hydraulic clutch in one small unit (4" x 1 1/2") and mounts to the firewall and has the bleeders on the firewall side. Tony

“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 11:51:36 AM »
Tony, you have the coolest stuff,and the avitars are't either. :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 12:31:10 PM »
The value of a fuel line isolator for safety is obvious.
The value of the gauge . . . I can see that you would want fuel pressure going to the data logger. Why do you need it during a run? I'm thinking you are pretty busy to even look at it.
What is the advantage of a mechanical gauge over an electric gauge?
The isolator adds complexity, cost, and another component that can break. Sure, the electric requires a sending unit that can fail, but wiring to a gauge beats plumbing.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 09:33:54 PM »
The other advantage of an electrical fuel pressure gauge is you can wire up a low fuel pressure warning light in a high visibility location.
That will get the drivers attention with a lot less focused mental effort than trying to watch the gauge during a run.

Then if the light comes on the driver can glance at the gauge to confirm he/she has a real problem and abort if true.

Larry

Offline JoeBlystfk

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 10:28:54 PM »
Well its about a flat head with 97s and a magneto and mechanical fuel pump and an old guy that says we should have a fuel pressure gauge. Data logger......what's that.. :-D

Offline jl222

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 11:13:35 PM »
Well its about a flat head with 97s and a magneto and mechanical fuel pump and an old guy that says we should have a fuel pressure gauge. Data logger......what's that.. :-D

:-D  JL222

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 11:21:39 AM »

Ahh, vintage data logger for flat heads - a pencil, a pad of paper, a theodolite and a sun dial.  :wink: 

From what I understand about 97's, you don't want to overpower them with fuel pressure, which I just looked up - 2 1/2-3 psi max - same as a DCOE Weber.  What I wound up doing is putting a fuel pressure gauge under my hood after the regulator so I can check it when tuning.  If you think you need it, I'd plumb in a pressure switch and an idiot light.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 11:46:36 AM »

Ahh, vintage data logger for flat heads - a pencil, a pad of paper, a theodolite and a sun dial.  :wink: 

From what I understand about 97's, you don't want to overpower them with fuel pressure, which I just looked up - 2 1/2-3 psi max - same as a DCOE Weber.  What I wound up doing is putting a fuel pressure gauge under my hood after the regulator so I can check it when tuning.  If you think you need it, I'd plumb in a pressure switch and an idiot light.

Thats how we have our setup wih the Y-block. Besides, you WILL KNOW if you lose pressure anyway!

Offline JoeBlystfk

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 04:02:55 PM »
Ok dumb question number two.
Rule 3 k says all vehicles must have a main battery shut off switch. What do you hook it to if you aren't running a battery ?
We are just going to plug in a battery to get the thing started and then it goes in the push truck.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 05:36:26 PM »
I would suspect that would mean you would need a positive method to kill all system electrical power -- kill alternator power (assuming you have an alternator) and to cut off ignition (assuming you have a magneto). In short a positive method to stop the engine.

Larry
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 05:55:34 PM by hotrod »