Author Topic: Who is a good turbo guy?  (Read 8343 times)

Offline barrybill

Re: Who is a good turbo guy?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 06:52:06 PM »
I'm back, I gave up on the swap meet turbo as the consensus was it was to small. A friend has loaned me 2 turbos. # 1 is a air research T4 model # TO4B35  Compressor wheel 55 by 70, exhaust wheel 64 by 73, compressor A/R .60 Exhaust A/R .81                     # 2 is Air research T4 model #TO4B30, the compressor wheel is the same as # 1 and so far the exhaust side won't come off. It is soaking as I write.    So going on a 289 Studebaker any thoughts on either unit?  One of them, don't know which, was on a 350 chev. This engine will not be pushed beyond 6000 RPM's if that much. Thanks for your input and hope to see you all at the NW Reunion.   Barry 

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 07:14:57 PM »
Barry:

Where are you?  You didn't fill out the location blank on the registration page, so we don't know if you're close enough to maybe visit and help you with your turbo chase.  Let us know, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline barrybill

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »
Hey Jon I am Seattle Wa. With my computer skills I am lucky to be registered.   I also forgot to list the A/R ratio's for turbo # 2 They are comp. side A/R 60  Exhaust side .96

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 08:02:23 PM »

IMO the T4 is a better choice then the T3 for your engine. The AR .81 will have a good blend of good spool and make good HP. On the other hand the higher AR (.96) will make more power up top but come on later in the day (higher rpm). Smaller AR would spool earlier but make less on the top. Both the .81 and .96 would be fine choices......, that being said the .81 may be a little easier to drive on the salt.

What is your HP goal with the motor????
Are these T4s internally gated?
Is the exhaust housing inlet divided into 2 separate chambers?

If you want I will be glad to weld up (or show you how) the internal gate port so you can use an external wastegate. Just bring it to the NWBR, I will be there making the typical arse of myself as usual.

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline barrybill

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 08:15:45 PM »
Thanks for the input JH's. These turbo's do not have internal wastegates. The plan for now is about 7 Lbs of boost sucking through the carb. 5000 RPM should get into 130 club but I have to make sure I spool up fast enough as I only get a mile. You probably asked something else but I forget just about everything.  Barry

Offline barrybill

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 08:17:58 PM »
JH's 400 to 450 horse power and the exhaust port is not divided.    Barry

Offline maj

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 08:27:11 PM »
Are the turbo's positively sealed on the intake side
Many turbos have just a piston type ring to seal and its not suitable for draw through , the correct seal is a spring loaded carbon seal, sort of like what you find in a water pump

may be easier if they are a piston ring type to plan a blow through carb

Offline barrybill

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 09:26:17 PM »
maj, thanks for the reminder I will have to check on the seal     Barry