Author Topic: Who is a good turbo guy?  (Read 8322 times)

Offline basher13

Who is a good turbo guy?
« on: October 09, 2012, 02:40:43 PM »
I run a Studebaker in the 130mph Club. Its time to add boost. I found a turbo at a swapmeet but cannot find good info on what I have or need. Does anyone know someone or a shop that knows and speaks the truth about turbos?    Studebasher
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline Racerboy

• Ken Pike
Re: Who is a good turbo guy?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 02:55:32 PM »
here is a forum for turbos that you might try.

http://www.theturboforums.com/index.php
Long Live the Comp Coupe's

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:10:56 PM »
Corky Bell in Spring Branch tx. He wrote one of the definitive books on turbocharging. I hear he is very easy to talk to
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 06:57:50 PM »
I found a turbo at a swapmeet but cannot find good info on what I have or need.

What did you get???!!!!

I insist on seeing pics!

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline TNTHEMIENGINES

• New folks
  • 928-412-4049
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 01:07:53 AM »
I recommend John Craig of Limit Engineering. He is a car owner and racer and attends Bonneville and el Mirage meets. He builds the turbo for my record holding diesel truck. john can bew reached at (928) 453-7321 or info@limitengineering.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »
Why not stay in the family and find a Mcculloch or Paxton blower...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline basher13

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies and PM's. My dad is the one who posted the question, I'll forward him the info from the PM's.  To motivate him to set up an account I've changed my password  :evil:

It was brought up on another forum about duals vs single, without knowing much about turbos I'm wondering how the "hit" or boost is handled. GH was running twins on his Stude, Dave B runs a single on his...Is it a matter of setting up the wastegate and than gearing around it?

:cheers:
Dan
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 04:20:50 PM »
I think if you asked ten different people how they run their turbo setups at Bonneville you'll get ten different answers.

So I'd look into the one's who set records and not break too many parts......... but that's just me.   :evil:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 04:56:56 PM »
It was brought up on another forum about duals vs single, without knowing much about turbos I'm wondering how the "hit" or boost is handled. GH was running twins on his Stude, Dave B runs a single on his...Is it a matter of setting up the wastegate and than gearing around it?

There are lots of factors involved in how the turbo comes on boost. The most important probably is the size of the turbo (and its trim) and the displacment of the engine it is feeding. On factory turbo cars they typically run a turbo that is a bit small for the engine so it comes on boost quickly (single turbo) and it runs out of breath on the top end which naturally tapers off the boost a bit at high rpm. Most of the time a larger turbo will come on boost slower because it has more inertia to spin up, but if sized properly it will have ample capacity to feed the engine and it can run full peak boost (or very nearly so) all the way to red line.

Other factors are how the boost control is set up. You can run just a simple waste gate spring, a basic boost controller which senses the manifold pressure and throttles the boost signal to the waste gate, or a fancy electronic boost controller where you have multiple things you can control including on some of them you can set independent boost limits in each gear. That is probably a good idea at Bonneville, limiting boost in low and second gear to very moderate levels to keep from blowing the tires off, higher boost in 3rd gear and only allow max boost in 4th and 5th if you have that many gears.

The physical plumbing of the boost control circuit can also affect the way the boost comes on. Very short large diameter tubing tends to hit harder than a longer run of smaller diameter tubing (just like a NOS system). It also depends on where you take your boost signal, some have the boost signal tube just down stream from the turbo outlet, others have it plumbed so the boost signal comes from just down stream of the intercooler or in the intake manifold. The later can cause problems if you get too close to the intake valves and the boost controller starts to see pressure pulses from the opening and closing of the intake valves.

Last the diameter and length of the intake tract from the turbocharger to the intake manifold can soften the hit if it is large enough as it takes time to fill and fully pressurize a large volume.

Bottom line, you need to talk to someone with lots of experience with different setups and tell them exactly what you are trying to accomplish.
A turbocharger needs to flow a certain amount of airflow volume at any given boost pressure to stay out of surge, so the cubic inch displacement and rpm range of the engine, plus the needed final boost at max power, are important parameters for the proper sizing of the turbo. There are literally dozens of combinations that will work on a given engine but all those variables will impact how the turbo is sized, and what trim it needs to give you the boost profile (and thermal efficiency you need).

Larry

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 08:37:54 PM »
Liquid to air intercoolers with ice tanks????

Nothing finer!

~jh

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline barrybill

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 09:17:45 PM »
Larry, Thank you this the kind of info that helps alot.    Johnny HN no pictures. The turbo I have is a Garrett #466586-2286P, I can't get the Garrett site to reconize this number. This Stude is a hobby car [cheap build] but I still want to do it right and be safe. Plus I want to go faster, It don't seem right that I went faster on the street in the 60's then I have on the salt. Barry

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 06:24:17 PM »
Barrybill,

Just for poops and giggles pull off the aluminum housing off to expose the compressor fan (very easy to do). It will more then likely be held on by 6 bolts. Remove the bolts, carefully twist to 'free up' and lift off. If its held on by a giant c-clip.....get some BIG c-clip pliers!

Once its off measure the inducer and exducer size.

Also see if there is an 'AR' number (.82 or other) anywhere on the aluminum housing or on the hot side.

This info will give you a real good idea of the turbo you have, what HP it can make and other factors.

BTW:

Is the turbo internally gated???

~JH

*Andres Segovia

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 06:47:06 PM »
Bruce Geisler set a couple of records with the help of Banks.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline maj

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 06:13:25 PM »
the 466586 number will help get  info for basic idea of size
looks like a TB03  family, measuring asJH says will be more accurate
but even a measurement of the compressor inlet and exhaust outlet at the wheels will help

Offline barrybill

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 01:53:14 PM »
JH the turbo is internally wastegated and I will get some measurements when I finish a home repair. Barry