Author Topic: Comp Coupe or Modified Sports?  (Read 28393 times)

Offline JustaRacer

Re: Comp Coupe or Modified Sports?
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2012, 09:43:35 AM »
Off The Road?

:-D
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2012, 06:19:45 PM »
Not exactly.  And she wasn't Omologato Turismo Radiale, either!
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2012, 07:12:25 PM »
Again guys if we had both committees (GT/Sports & Coupe/Sedans) agree to a list of cars for each catogory into a data base, that would establish a baseline, then as new cars plan to race with SCTA, they could submit their car for consideration into which class it would end up in, of course the initial lists would have to ensure that no cars current or past record is taken away from the one holding a record.  This is only an idea that I have and not one from  SCTA or other race officials.  Hey any ideas and comments on this task is appreciated pros & cons, thanks Dave  :cheers:
I like this approach. I think that if you hold a record your car type could be reclassed but your record gets grandfathered in.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2012, 01:48:33 AM »
JovaJoe79 thanks for your comments, Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline fastman614

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2012, 03:43:47 AM »
Dave,

You can get started on that as soon as you wish.

Thanks for YOUR time,

DW

PS - Be careful what you want done. I did that and ended up with the Impound.

DW

And we ALL "love you" for it, Dan!!!!!!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2012, 04:28:13 AM »
I have been following this thread on and off since was first posted.... In years gone by, the rule about this stated that the rear seat(s) HAD TO be suitable for continued adult occupancy.... this wording NO LONGER EXISTS!.... It WAS simple then..... a 260Z 2+2 was the F/Production record setter in (IRCC)1976 - I think the "owner"/driver was Bob Stockman..... and the rear seat WAS suitable for an adult to sit in for an extended period of time....

In 1986, Gordon Hoyt showed up at Bonneville with a new car - a 300ZX 2+2 with a blown 259" Chevy..... His son-in-law set the C/FC record (that was in the era when blown engines advanced 2 classes) up to 241+mph....Our Vega with a naturally aspirated Chevy 358" motor was NO MATCH for that.... but we were running in Gas Altered though - setting the record in 1988 at 215.015mph....

Interestingly, in 1991, they separated ALL blown from unblown classes, the old HP Books Monza class record of 207+mph was reinstated and we ran the C/FC class that year.... I got into the 200mph club at 213.246mph that year and went home at the end of the meet with the record at 216.695mph...but with the Cohn's, the Pruitt's, the Batchelors and Doll/Fox/Christoffersons also running the same classes as us, the records did not stand for many years.....

The interesting thing is though, is that Gordon Hoyt's ZX 2+2 car WAS EXTREMELY AERODYNAMIC..... and unfortunately for all of us, it was VERY LEGAL to run as a coupe sedan by virtue of the wording of the rules regarding the back seat(s) at that time.... the 300ZX 2+2 body of that era IS, as far as I know, still a legal coupe/sedan body to this day.

.....but in a "run what you brung" environment like Bonneville, is it a fact that someone will come up with an advantage one way or another.... Gordon came up with his advantage by spending some serious coin on a near new car - the body of which fit the rules....

Incidentally, the Studebaker and Camaro guys ALL tried to cry "foul" when we showed up with our Vega for the first time.... In Classic Coupe and Sedan.... the smaller bodies STILL RULE!...OUR SPEEDS ARE still comparable to the modern coupe and sedan speeds....and in Classic category, with comparable drag coefficient numbers as an '81 Camaro, with 65% of the frontal area, the Studebaker and Camaro guys are still a way behind....

So, if we want to "level the playing field" (like NASCAR), we ARE going to have to implement "cookie cutter" type body rules..... Is this what we really want? .... I DON'T think so..... but, on this "grey area" stuff in regards to whether a car is a coupe or a GT car, it seems to me that a return to the "old" definition of the rear seat(s) being "SUITABLE FOR CONTINUED ADULT OCCUPANCY" WOULD CLARIFY this issue.....
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 04:39:02 AM by fastman614 »

Offline fastman614

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2012, 04:46:41 AM »
Dave,

You can get started on that as soon as you wish.

Thanks for YOUR time,

DW

PS - Be careful what you want done. I did that and ended up with the Impound.

DW

And we ALL "love you" for it, Dan!!!!!!

....and Joanie too.... I think she gives you a lot of support at home....

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2012, 08:57:16 AM »
So where does and 72 Opal GT from that era fit in  :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline fastman614

« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2012, 11:56:31 AM »
I thought that the Opel GT was a GT or MS depending on whether or not it had an engine swap (as defined by the rules).... it is where Bill Ward had always run his Opel GT....

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2012, 12:14:22 PM »
I think one of those already fit in MS.... sorry, can't find my picture, did see my pic of Hoyt's Z

yep, what he said
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »
Whether the Hoyt Nissan was areodynamic or not it flew at near 250 and since it had "T" tops. The outcome was not good for either the vehicle or Gordons son-in-law. It slid a long way upside scooping up a lot of salt. Ibelieve "new" rules were written concerning them after the accident. I don't remember the Hoyt's or Thomas's coming back with a car after that. Gordon did continue with engines......
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline fastman614

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2012, 02:20:56 AM »
Whether the Hoyt Nissan was areodynamic or not it flew at near 250 and since it had "T" tops. The outcome was not good for either the vehicle or Gordons son-in-law. It slid a long way upside scooping up a lot of salt. Ibelieve "new" rules were written concerning them after the accident. I don't remember the Hoyt's or Thomas's coming back with a car after that. Gordon did continue with engines......

JD..... a VERY VALID POINT!!!..... I DO recall the mishap ..... and I do not recall either that they ever came back with either another car or a rebuild of the ZX....

I did some checking into the frontal area and drag coefficient  of the 300ZX.... it was noticeably better than a Vega.... I wonder what other factors may have contributed to the crash.... too light, perhaps?.... Our Vega has gone almost 260mph.... one hand on the wheel and the other on the shifter (making sure the tranny does not pop out of gear).... The Vega weighs over 5000 lbs.....the ballast is ALL put in really low too.....

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2012, 09:37:49 AM »

Did Opel GT's have any rear seats whatsoever? 
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2012, 11:58:19 AM »
It didn't matter if they did or didn't......Two Mike Stewart's had sit conforably in one to make it a production car and not a GT.......It's always been a GT
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline fastman614

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2012, 01:06:17 AM »

Did Opel GT's have any rear seats whatsoever? 
It didn't matter if they did or didn't......Two Mike Stewart's had sit conforably in one to make it a production car and not a GT.......It's always been a GT

I had an Opel GT back in the late 70s.... I got it cheap as insurance salvage.... it would have been very buildable into a racecar.... and, to the best of my recollection, there was nothing that resembled even little "pillows" let alone back seats.... and, like JD says...... two Mike Stewarts.....etc