Author Topic: Belly Tank Rule Changes  (Read 10485 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Belly Tank Rule Changes
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 05:37:55 PM »
And that is literally all the changes we'd need to make guys?.

I am thinking about moving the wheels out then 2 sets of bodywork ??? Has it been done?

I know some of the roadster guys change classes by adding headlights or summink but flipping between lakester and streamliner?

Go back and look at the "Old Bonneville Picture thread". There are shots of the Bockscar pre and post configurations. Also in that thread is a shot of Al Teagues liner when it was ran as a lakester. But, I like the Stateside idea for backup equipment.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »
Joe Law ran both classes with the same car.

Pete

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 09:42:10 PM »
  I've lost track here. What class' are you looking to run with the old Howey car? We looked at the car back in 2000 when we first came to the Salt. We were excited that it had a straight 8 for power but decided to read the book and build from scratch. The learning curve was steep, but we made so many friends along the way that it was worth the climb. We are still learning and climbing the hill. Straight 8 power is cool, because there aren't ant cookie cutter combo's out there and everything that you do is a challenge. Welcome to the world of vintage engines.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline pofg

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 02:41:39 AM »
This thread has sort of diverged two ways...

1) I still like the idea of a low cost project to keep me in the game in the years I can't raise all the dough for shipping plus the crews airfares etc.... so appreciate thoughts on if (in theory) that old lakester with the Buick I8 can be economically run to the XO/GL or XO/BGL record??? Or are people going to turn around in a couple of years and say "Crikey, he was never going to get close with that old Buick lump in the car"?

2) The idea of widening the track on the Flower also appeals for stability reasons, it is something we've actively considered as she's pretty frisky above 250mph... LOT's of movement... wouldn't need to move the wheels out very far to be outside the line of the bodywork, then make up a fresh set that effecitvely covers them again if we want to go back to being a liner.
As Stainless says, breaking records (I imagine) is a whole lot of fun... and it might be nice to have a crack at that I/BFL mark.

Cheers
Grazing the Gravel Trap of Insanity.

#1133 Flower of Scotland.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 09:25:48 AM »
If you are not doing anything next week come out to the salt and help us with the lakester... yes I know it is a long trip but if you start tomorrow it will give you time to rest up a little before we put you to work.  You can see first hand how much fun it is to run a little lakester... and hopefully.... well you know.....
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline pofg

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 10:21:50 AM »
That's a tempting offer Stainless... If I could afford the time, could sneak away without the boss or the Wife noticing AND find the 5000 dollars air france want to get me to SLC and back in Coach (!) at this short notice I'd be out for another dose of Salt!

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 10:32:59 AM »
Remain frugal or lose standing as a good Scot.  5 grand in airfare might better be put toward the lakester conversion kit.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Tman

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 10:35:17 AM »
Hell, if Rick made the trip I would have to bail and head West as well.  :-o

Offline pofg

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 12:30:23 PM »
So thoughts on whether a 320 cubic inch Buick can be easily competitive in XO/GL or XO/BGL or is it a big $$/black magic tuning sort of thing? Have to admit these old American engines a TOTAL mystery to me... looking fwd to learning properly!

Offline Tman

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 12:34:42 PM »
So thoughts on whether a 320 cubic inch Buick can be easily competitive in XO/GL or XO/BGL or is it a big $$/black magic tuning sort of thing? Have to admit these old American engines a TOTAL mystery to me... looking fwd to learning properly!

Certainly, Jeff Brock and also the Salt Cat guys are doing great things with them. There are a couple more on the board here, GH? that have also run them hard. These guys are pretty much hot rodders  doing it with engine-uity and not cubic dollars.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 01:54:58 PM »
The big Buick will be running against similar design GMC six cylinder and flathead Hudsons and maybe a Cad or something.. You have more ports and valves to feed the same volume than the GMC. And the advantages of overhead valves compared to the flathead engines. So it's up to you to realize the potential.

Offline pofg

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 01:07:08 PM »
Thanks for that Rich... this does feel like a tempting project... not least of which I could come and discover the mystery that is El Mirage! And actually drive a LSR car more often than 1 week per year!
Looked at widening the Flower... tough for the engineering, and would make a huge difference to the aero.... add about 50% drag we think. So the Flower stays the way she is and we crack on at that blue hat!
Cheers for all the advice boys!
Listening to the radio direct from WoS here in Zurich... wishing I was there!
So run fast and run safe guys...
Rick