Author Topic: Snell vs ECE  (Read 15690 times)

Offline Hellcat Customs

Re: Re: Snell vs ECE
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 08:04:57 PM »
You guys are all great...thanks for chatting about this and going to bat for the change! I assure you it will help get more entries in the door and like I said I'd be happy to get some helmets to donate...

Slim lemme know where to bid, on the existing helmets...I'll direct folks that way to support your cause...heck I'll bid myself

Offline Buzz Lightbeer

Re: Snell vs ECE
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 02:06:12 PM »
Will the SCTA recogise the FIA ? with regards ECE crash helmets or will it be it my way or the highway?

Offline Hellcat Customs

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 04:26:37 PM »
I have faith the SCTA will do what they can to keep racers safe while helping new racers come in... If the helmet change helps I'm sure they will make it happen. Have faith.

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 04:47:07 PM »
"Faith" in the SCTA ?..... Ask Glen Barrett about that........
No, I won't let that issue rest, on any thread...

Offline Hellcat Customs

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 06:45:16 PM »
I am very new... And I've heard good and bad stories. I try to remain open minded either way.

Heck I was told the cart guys don't care for the bike guys, and honesty I had nothing but great dealings with SCTA and USFRA folks alike... Honestly most of the motorcycle field would hardly talk but the car folks chatted quite often...

I'm sure there are some tough stories. I just try to approach everything with a "try to better things for everyone"mindset... If someone stands against my ideas I'll just pursue it in another fashion;) clubs are typically like billiards, all about how you work the angles.

So I'll keep faith in SCTA, even if it takes a bit

Offline Buzz Lightbeer

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 02:44:20 AM »
I have faith Hellcat, but sometimes clubs like it kept just so. I have no problem with the SCTA rules, they just need to in my opinion be brought upto date with regards crash helmet safety tags they need to see it ain't just Snell standards

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 04:13:53 AM »
Oh no , the motorcycle helmet thing

After a few emails to Tech I received an email that said to bring said email & "we would be good to go" we all decided not to bring our helmets but to buy Snell approved when we arrived in the USA, which was just as well as I was in bike tech when a European Arai was

Yep
I was in tech then as well. Alright, I was in tech all week
The suggestion has been put up that more than just the Snell standard be put in the book
If you look at the FIM 2012 rules, page 67

01.70 RECOGNISED INTERNATIONAL HELMET APPROVAL MARKS
• Europe ECE 22-05 (P ou J)
• Japan JIS T 8133: 2007
• USA SNELL M 2010
(see International Helmet Standards in diagram section)

Sorry I didn't include the pictures

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Hellcat Customs

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 05:21:58 PM »
Checking back in on the thread...

How did the chat go about the issue? Heard through the grapevine that apparently the folks in this thread weren't the only ones suggesting a possible regulation change...so that's very positive.

Did anyone try to run a ECE at World Finals?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 07:58:50 PM »
We've just returned from WF and I'm bushed, so won't go into detail at this time.  Soon, though. . .

I had a nice set of chats with both Van Butler and Matt Shuss in re the subject of Snell and ECE ratings, and now I've got more of an idea of the issues being discussed between the two - and those keeping SCTA from immediately accepting ECE ratings as well as Snell.  I'll mention one thing at this point, and that a good part of the hassle is that ECE isn't good at responding to SCTA requests for information - they don't do much in response at all.

If you arrive at an SCTA event with an ECE 2010 or newer helmet you've got a good chance to get it approved.  Their standards change more often than Snell (Snell is 5 years, ECE is less and the ECE 2005 versions are already outdated by improvements).  Don't expect it to be a breeze-through thing with that ECE 2010 helmet - but your chances of winning the discussion are good.  That's all I'll say for now.  But I will try to get Matt to make a detailed response here so we can have a better idea of what's what along these lines, okay?  Deep enough for now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Hellcat Customs

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 02:37:44 AM »
Awesome slim! Thanks so much for working it...

If they want crash test info or info on the ECE testing I can probably get that from the development and design team for my helmet sponsor...I'm sure even if ECE isn't getting back that the factory building our helmets would provide the info they have to design for to get approval from ECE

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »
Matt sent me an email with some information -- but I'm at work now and can't get this 'puter to copy and paste.  I'll do that when I'm at home tonight.  In the meantime what he says is that we know Snell ratings are specifically for racing applications while ECE and even DOT are (apparently) oriented toward street riding.  He asked the Auto Cycle Union for information on their "Gold Sticker" rating -- but never got any kind of reply.

The ECE22.05 data are available to him - and us - but I guess it's pretty danged technical and will take more effort to understand than a simple read-through can offer.  He says he'll find someone that is qualified to try to compare ECE and Snell.

There - a precis, using my words, of what Matt Shuss (SCTA m/c technical guru) has to say about the helmet issue.  I'll summarise what he said - by saying - They're working on it - really.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 05:16:36 PM »
I got an email from Ellen Wilkinson (USFRA) today regarding ECE helmets.  I'll copy and paste it here.  Remember -- I'm just the messenger and don't have any further details at this point, so I won't be able to offer any in-depth details about the rule change that is noted, okay?

Tom Evans wrote to Ellen, and here's what he said:

"Ellen, we voted last Friday night at the SCTA board meeting to allow ECE helmets.

Tom Evans, SCTA Motorcycle Inspector Emeritus"

Okay.  Having said and seen that -- next I need to find out the rules on manufacture/inspection rating date for ECE.  If you read a few posts back you'll see where I mentioned that I had learned ECE date ratings are for shorter periods of time than the Snell Foundation's 5 year.  I'll see what I can find out -- and if you do and get it here first -- great. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 05:20:03 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Hellcat Customs

Re:
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 10:09:52 PM »
Truly awesome....both our riders this year will now get the ece helmets we wanted! This hopefully will coax more motorcycles to lsr and will allow them to have new lids yearly! Thanks for the update!

The ece number for certification will be great for those of us buying soon.

Thanks again bud!