Author Topic: Tire Mounting Lubricant?  (Read 1524 times)

Offline abstruse1

• New folks
Tire Mounting Lubricant?
« on: September 20, 2012, 08:56:49 AM »
I'll be running the Texas Mile (standing start mile) in October on my ~1,000 whp. Shelby Mustang using Hoosier R6 tires. I had the tires heat cycled by Tire Rack.  The car weighs ~4,200 lbs. with driver, and the track is smooth concrete.  I'm expecting top speed of ~210 mph. 

I took the tires & wheels to Discount Tire for mounting and balancing. They "road force balanced" them, and used some kind of mounting lube. 

I later read somewhere that tires shouldn't be mounted with "soap" (I assume this means the typical tire mounting lube) for high speed runs (e.g. >200 mph.). So now I don't know if I need to confirm whether they did use "soap", and if so, whether I need to get them to unmount them, clean off the lube, and remount -- either dry or using slightly soapy water or some other lubricant.

Your thoughts?

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Re: Tire Mounting Lubricant?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 11:00:19 AM »
Talk to the folks at Hoosier, they will give you the best advice and it will come directly from the people that know the what and why of that recommendation.
Also call the Direct Tire shop and find out "exactly" what lube they used.

Get the info directly from the source is the best first move in these sorts of situations.

Larry