Author Topic: Career change  (Read 2718 times)

Offline coloradodave

Career change
« on: September 11, 2012, 11:55:51 PM »
Hello my Land speed friends
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I thought what the hell, I am looking for some advice from the land racing community, I am at a crossroads with my career and could sure use some advice, I am currently selling new Triumph and BMW motorcycles. After spending the last 18 years in the motorcycle industry at many levels, parts counter, parts manager and general manager of a very cool after market chopper shop. Before I got into the motorcycle business I spent ten years working the parts counter of a couple of automotive parts houses in town...
I am looking for a change, new direction and would love to just put myself out there and see what comes back to me, I currently live in Colorado and that is my true home as a 4th generation native with a real love for all things automotive and motorcycle related.
If any of you have any advice or know anyone in the area looking for a devoted and hard working employee who just wants to keep doing what he knows and loves best, even though he does not have a degree please feel free to comment or forward, I do have a great resume that I would love to forward or attach as needed.

Thanks Dave Arnold Jr.
(Colorado Dave) :oops: :oops:
No regrets

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Career change
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:28:44 AM »
Dave, work those contacts. 

I’ve always found my customers and my vendors were the best source of information as to what’s happening in the music/AV business, and I’ve no doubt that it’s the same in the specialty world of custom bikes and parts.  They should be able to give you the lay of the land.

Also, reacquaint yourself with your former employers.  I’ve seen two friends and a former manager all hired back by a former employer at better wages and better titles than when they left.  One of them had thought he had torched a bridge, only to get hired back two levels above where he had left, and by the very guy he thought he had burned by leaving.  Yet another former manager of a friend had moved on to a competitor, and was crucial in getting my friend in at his new employer.  Nothing stays static.

Best of luck to you.

Chris

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 01:30:10 AM »
How much of a career direction change do you want?

Offline fastman614

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 05:31:22 AM »
Okay.... I am going to say - being someone who has just made such a change.... ask yourself and answer honestly.... what would you REALLY like to do? (other than making lots of money, which, if that is your goal, what I will be saying may not be relevant).....

Ask yourself again - what would you really like to do.....

I went back to what I had done before I went into being a mining equipment engineering technician.... I went back to a repair technician.... the $$$$ is the same per hour, I don't have to travel, I canbe home every night and I don;t have a never ending amount of reports to file.....

I hope that, if nothing else, you can think about these things.....

good luck!!!!
fastman614
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline coloradodave

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 09:28:14 AM »
Well I knew this would be the place to come for problem solving, thanks guys, Chris those ideas are great and that will be one of my first steps is to contact a couple of my past employers, and Wobbly I think I would like to find a hot rod or race shop locally and help to set up and run an efficient parts department, kind of seems as though the old Mom and Pop shops are going the way of the dinasour but that would be a great inviornment to be back into. :cheers:
Thanks again
No regrets

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 09:40:21 AM »
I went back to what I had done before I went into being a mining equipment engineering technician.... I went back to a repair technician.... the $$$$ is the same per hour, I don't have to travel, I canbe home every night and I don;t have a never ending amount of reports to file.....

Remember - sometimes money costs too much - we spend 1/3rd of our lives at work, and you can never get that TIME back.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 10:19:29 AM »
As someone too lazy to work and too scared to steal, I retired November 3, 1993.  Four years later got married.  Went into natural resource and ag real estate, until someone on the home front got tired of me traveling.  So, I became a consultant, using other people's clocks to tell them what time it is. 

I miss those mom & pop places of my sordid youth, miss the old time bike or car shops.  All the best with your plans. 
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 11:45:41 PM »
Dave, most of my younger years were working as a machinist or in bike shops as a mechanic, service manager, or owner.  Like you, I wanted a change.  Back to college I went for an engineering degree.  It was hard work.  I am not the smartest guy and I had to study a lot.  All that prior machinist and mechanic experience was a big asset.  Do not be afraid to go back to skool.   

Offline fastman614

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 05:13:56 AM »
Dave, most of my younger years were working as a machinist or in bike shops as a mechanic, service manager, or owner.  Like you, I wanted a change.  Back to college I went for an engineering degree.  It was hard work.  I am not the smartest guy and I had to study a lot.  All that prior machinist and mechanic experience was a big asset.  Do not be afraid to go back to skool.   
W/W.... I too am a Dave..... I read this post as if it was also meant for me..... well - the new job does not have the overtime hours ...... BUT..... an AWFUL LOT of the extra pay went to both the government as extra taxes and to house maintenance people to do for me what I was NOT home to do...... 

Good for you for telling this one like it is!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.