Author Topic: 2012 Killer Camaro.  (Read 2880 times)

Trouble

2012 Killer Camaro.
« on: September 02, 2012, 09:48:31 AM »
OK kiddies, stop by your friendly Chevy Dealer and pick up a few of these bad boys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X91mgz6b7AU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

One of them has already run 8.8 in the quarter.  For those in Rio Linda, that's pretty quick for a stock production car.

They are known (once more) as COPO Camaros, and are sold by P/N as a ready-to-run car.  Cage, powerglide, LSx-style small block on steriods.  3 flavors, two blown 327's, and a NA 427 small block.

None of the production cars of the Muscle Car era were anywhere near that quick.  Not even close.  Not even in the ballpark.  Not even allowing for the "time makes all cars faster".

The most bad arse cars in history are 2012's.

330' wheelie, goes straight as an arrow.  Even sounds OK if you can get used to the LSx firing order scream.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 09:51:31 AM by Trouble »

Offline jimmy six

Re: 2012 Killer Camaro.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:14:19 AM »
Went on the net and priced a 2012 ZL1 with every option I could check to get the price as high as I could and the MSRP was $62,120.................I'd rather have a new kitchen and some cash left over.................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Trouble

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 08:29:46 AM »
Went on the net and priced a 2012 ZL1 with every option I could check to get the price as high as I could and the MSRP was $62,120.................I'd rather have a new kitchen and some cash left over.................JD

These are sold by P/N only.  There is no VIN number on them.  They are $97,000? but GM must pick you as a buyer.  These are built ONLY to defeat Ford in NHRA production competition.

But the ZL1 non-competition edition is fast, gets decent mileage, will run off regular if you want, and handles like a slot car.  Your $62k gets you a Ferrari with a Mullet haircut.

If I had that kind of money to spend on a performance car, I'd get the Cadillac CTS-V Station Wagon.  For real.  It is real 4-door Ferrari killer on a road course.  I cut about 1 sec a lap quicker in the wagon, than in either the coupe or sedan.  World's fastest 4-door around a racetrack with full luxury, yet costs far less than most sports cars that are over 500 horse.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 05:51:51 PM »
  I have a neighbor who delivers/brings back Ford dealer trades and is around eighty years old (and taught drivers education for a few years).
  Right before Speedweek I noticed he had a new Supercharged Shelby Cobra Black on Black slammed, big wheels and tires, Giant Brembo Brakes on a new  Mustang in his driveway.
  I meandered oven and checked out the Window Sticker:  $72,000 minus dealer prep.
  And I always thought I was nut's................  Maybe a Big Buck's speculator might come out on top, but it's a damn Mustang.............  probably worth half of that within a year.
  I would rather (and have) spend more money on my race car and continue to drive my 1972 Maverick for whatever Ego Gratification I need................. Bob
Bob Drury

Trouble

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 07:37:17 PM »
Some people have Camrys.  A lot of folk do.

Other folk love to drive.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 08:34:27 AM »
  JD  since I didn't get my car finished for SW  ---my bride has informed me that we are getting a NEW kitchen---and we may have enough left for me to finish my new car--- seems like males are not the only ones with Bucket Lists---lol   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 11:08:46 AM »
A couple of years ago my wife said she wanted a pool and a deck. We spet about 20,000 on them. She thought we were pretty close to even, I told her pretty close. :-D :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »
lol :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Trouble

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 01:22:34 PM »
Point to consider is what a base Camaro is today.  Mear mortals can't buy the COPO cars.  GM must select you.

The base model is $23k MSRP (can be had for under $20k if you shop around).  323 HP per new tighter SAE standard (about 360HP in 1969 SAE).

30 mpg highway, IRS, 4 wheel disc, runs on 87 octane.  6-sp MANual with torsen style posi.

Allowing for inflation, the price went down, the features went up, the HP went up, and mileage went up.