Author Topic: Tape ???????????  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Mad Max

• New folks
Tape ???????????
« on: September 11, 2012, 08:32:41 PM »
I understand the reason for taping all the plastic reflectors and lights, and respect the rules. I just finished hours of trying to get the tape glue off of my bike. I now have to re-paint some parts and replace some that were ruined. Does anyone know of a tape that won't leave a mess or is easy to clean up after? Maybe a chemical that wont effect the paint/plastic?

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Tape ???????????
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 08:54:02 PM »
OOPS and GOO GONE are two of the products I've seen for getting rid of the remaining adhesive and bits of tape. I'm sure that the OOPS is just lighter fluid. There may be several others in the paint and decorating department in WalMart or any of the home improvement stores. They work without any scraping and shouldn't hurt the plastic.

The trick with most tapes is to delay putting them on until you have to and remove them as soon after as possible. Some masking tapes are designed to be easily removable. Again, check in the painting and decorating department.

Pete
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:57:54 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Re: Tape ???????????
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 08:59:20 PM »
Blue painters tape comes off without residue.

Also another trick to getting tape adhesive off is to use the same type of tape as a clean up strip.
Pull the old tape off then press a new piece of the same type tape onto the gunk left behind and immediately pull it back off.
Often the tape adhesive residue sticks better to the new tape adhesive than it does to the surface it is on and peels right off.

Larry