Author Topic: Converting a pavement dragster to a lakester?  (Read 17526 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Converting a pavement dragster to a lakester?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 11:26:45 PM »
This is just a way of saying "heads up"  this is a "sticky topic or subject matter"
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:26:52 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 12:06:26 AM »
Can someone unsticky my post? I didnt sticky it

Only a mod has that power and one of them decided the question had merit to stay at the top.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 01:10:01 AM »
Im hoping to make it to the October or November meet.

Go for November - it's a two day meet, and you'll get more time to ask questions.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

penny

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 08:26:36 AM »
A simple reason landspeed cars are built tougher than dragsters is that although there is nothing to hit on the salt but salt , sometimes the cars hit the salt 13 times or more .

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 10:22:07 AM »
 :-o  so true---the FEARED mush inducing "pencil roll" :cry:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 10:34:08 AM »
No longer sticky.

Seems I have a goo-gone button . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 10:38:27 AM »
 :-o

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 07:48:27 AM »
Frankie, Take the dragster apart build a LSR chassis by LSR rules and put the dragster parts on it. You will be money ahead.
Richard
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 09:01:46 AM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Thankfully I hadn't actually purchased another dragster to replace my stolen one ( it wasn't stolen recently ) I had just thought it would've been cheaper and easier to buy a used dragster and update some stuff to make it SCTA legal. Obviously being new to LSR I was informed that it wasn't gonna be the case. This just gives me the freedom and the experience of building a LSR car from scratch if I dont find a used LSR car I can afford. As an open wheel drag racer for 10 years ( 23 t altered and rear engine dragster ) ill probably go.the lakester or.roadster route. Thanks again everybody for the input.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 09:35:19 AM »
Frankie, come to the salt in October... hook up with Sparky, he is in your area.   Go the EM in October... Don't wait for the last chance to go, sometimes the last ones don't happen. 
In other words, get hooked early... avoid the rush...  :-o
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tman

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 09:54:18 AM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Thankfully I hadn't actually purchased another dragster to replace my stolen one ( it wasn't stolen recently ) I had just thought it would've been cheaper and easier to buy a used dragster and update some stuff to make it SCTA legal. Obviously being new to LSR I was informed that it wasn't gonna be the case. This just gives me the freedom and the experience of building a LSR car from scratch if I dont find a used LSR car I can afford. As an open wheel drag racer for 10 years ( 23 t altered and rear engine dragster ) ill probably go.the lakester or.roadster route. Thanks again everybody for the input.

There are some killer buys in the classifieds right now.........might have been stated already.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 12:18:46 PM »
Stainless, I met Sparky for the first time yesterday. Was a cool hour and half conversation. Im not sure if Ill be able to afford to go up to the salt in October but El Mirage isnt out of the question for Oct. Maybe at Speedweek next year I can tag along with Sparky, that would be cool.

Offline JasonS

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 02:16:48 PM »
I was talking to a friend at work and got on this very subject. I happened to have my Mark Williams catalog in my locker so I grabbed it and my ECTA rule book. We looked at the unwelded chassis kits, and the rear-engine dragster's wall thickness was below any of the class minimums. The funny car kit had tubes that would only be legal for J, K, and L engine classes, assuming of course the largest tube shown in the parts list was for the roll cage but it doesn't say.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 02:46:13 PM »
. . . and those lower class specs are sure to go up as speeds increase.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 03:05:19 PM »
I can speak from personal experience stiffer is better-  :evil: --nothing to do with hormones or phermones  :cry: