Author Topic: Converting a pavement dragster to a lakester?  (Read 17532 times)

Offline Frankie7799

Converting a pavement dragster to a lakester?
« on: September 08, 2012, 06:23:35 PM »
Hello, im new here to the board and to LSR racing. The question I have is would it be difficult to take a SBC powered dragster and run it on the salt. After reading the SCTA rule book I understand that there are LSR specific safety requirements to conform to. Im not looking to set any records, just wanting to get my feet wet and have some fun running a B/GL Thanks in advance for any advice

Frankie

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Converting a pavement dragster to a lakester?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 06:40:39 PM »
The rules are very specific on the tube diameter and wall thickness for the frame and roll bar. There are many other requirements that drag races rules do not cover.The best thing to do is attend a couple of meets and see how and why the LSR rules are what they are   as LSR is a different world.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 06:44:35 PM »
Frankie, I don't want to be the "heavy" here but.......

The SCTA really..... looking for the right words.........

Let me put it this way. A good friend has a real nice alky rear engine car. Took it to Davy Uriah, a pro chassis builder to have it upgraded to LSR spec. The powers that be said NO! I've been around LSR for over 30 years & I thought it was well done, but not the people who matter. The record in the class also has some input into the reason to disallow a car not built to LSR spec. Anyway, the SCTA generally does not "like" drag cars as the construction is not the same as LSR. For instance, most dragsters have flex built into them. That would be a be a huge problem in an LSR car.

Visit a few LSR events (if you're in socal got to El Mirage next weekend) and look at cars in the class you're interested in and you'll see, what looks like a rear engine dragster is really a specialty built LSR vehicle.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:20:02 PM »
Frankie,

30 years ago it would have been OK with some updates to the chassis. The First car over 300 at El Mirage was a converted dragster. I was successful doing it back in the late 1980's, but after all was said and done it is really more cost effective to sell the dragster and buy or build a LSR car.

Since 30 years ago the SCTA has learned (accidents occurring) that dragsters crashing on asphalt (drags) is completely different than crashing on a dry lake bed. And they have changed their rules accordingly. The biggest problem with the dragsters used to be the thickness of the tubing, and in the front end not much vertical and diagonal bracing on uprights to allow weight transfer to the rear wheels at the drags. Those were the problems I had to address when I changed mine over, but like I said I would not do it now. Look in the classified section of this website, there are currently a lot of good cars for sale.

Tom G.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 07:21:41 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Trouble

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 01:01:57 PM »
The rules are very specific on the tube diameter and wall thickness for the frame and roll bar. There are many other requirements that drag races rules do not cover.The best thing to do is attend a couple of meets and see how and why the LSR rules are what they are   as LSR is a different world.

This.

You would have to redo the entire driver's area.  NHRA req is a few thousandths thinner.  ALWAYS build any future vehicle to SCTA spec, and you'll be good for all the other types of racing.  Even if you double the number of tubes because you are heavy, the thickness will be your downfall, and you have to tear out everything.  Been there, done that.

It's not just dragsters, it's all cars. 

Trouble

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 01:06:12 PM »
Although, someone correct me if I'm mistaken the first Mormon Missile was a drag chassis?  This was fairly recent since the engine was a Dmax 2001-2003 (LB7 design) IIRC, and Tony tuned it, which must have occurred after 2005, which was the released date of the ECM editor software.  If I'm right, it can be done.  If I'm wrong (purpose built instead), my apologies.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 01:51:51 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I live in the Phoenix area so going to El Mirage isnt that far away. Im hoping to make it to the October or November meet. Am looking foward to taking in the sights and sounds in person. Watching clips on YouTube just inst cutting it :)

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 04:44:08 PM »
I believe the #623 Lakester was a converted Alky car and was involved in a incident this year. It had been totally brought up to SCTA specs. but sill had a problem which will eliminate it. The owner now going to build a new one with only LSR in mind. The lakester had multiple runs over 200 and held 2 or 3 records at some time.................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Tman

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 05:07:58 PM »
I believe the #623 Lakester was a converted Alky car and was involved in a incident this year. It had been totally brought up to SCTA specs. but sill had a problem which will eliminate it. The owner now going to build a new one with only LSR in mind. The lakester had multiple runs over 200 and held 2 or 3 records at some time.................JD

Not sure I know thecar? Which one is it and what was the problem?

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 05:27:43 PM »
Why is this topic a sticky? just curious
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 05:34:42 PM »

I have no idea thunder, I know I didnt do it

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 05:48:18 PM »
Its a rule change No early drag race chassis allowed. The one that crashed had been updated before the rule change. The chassis did not fail, the car spun and rolled over a couple of times. The chassis had tubing inserts in the frame rails to stiffen the frame. There are others in the past that had done this and I don't believe any others are running today. I don't think you should waste your time or money to get around this rule.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 06:45:15 PM »

Prob because Glen wanted ot to be! :-D

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 07:02:52 PM »
I have nothing to do with this topic or it being sticky.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 10:45:42 PM »
Can someone unsticky my post? I didnt sticky it