Author Topic: New guys coming to Ohio....  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Wade_Owens

New guys coming to Ohio....
« on: September 05, 2012, 04:50:55 PM »
With the help of one of my best friends, we'll be attending the upcoming Wilmington Event. We are bringing his Superbird and look forward to getting our feet wet. We both raced with the NHRA for years in the Stock Category and look forward to the challenges the Landspeed cars will offer. Please come by and say hello. Any and all help and information will be greatly appreciated.

Any pitfalls we should look out for?

Are there any "Golden Rules"?

Thanks and see you guys soon... :-D

Wade Owens

Offline Dan Stokes

Re: New guys coming to Ohio....
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 05:12:30 PM »
Wade - not knowing how the 'Bird is set up, my best advise is "Get a rule book".  There are a ton of requirements with safety stuff, ascending with the anticipated top speed.  Do you have a cage, Snell SA2005 (or better) helmet, etc., etc?  A call to Keith Turk or Joe Timney might save a lot of heartburn at the track.  They're SERIOUS about safety inspections - and I'm more than OK with that. 

Probably the best advice I've heard for drag cars is "Rethink your tuneup".  Remember, you'll be running for probably a couple of minutes against an ever increasing load, not 15 seconds or less (including burnout) against a load that really doesn't come on like the LSR load does.  Probably a good idea to pull a little timing and add a little fuel, at least to start.  The "air dyno" is pretty unforgiving.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline t russell

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 07:50:07 PM »
welcome just listen in rookie meeting.there is all kinds of help there also.

Offline runt13

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 09:49:37 PM »
after a 6 year vacation from racing, i made my come back at the april meet. set a record and found a new home.

rule book, rule book, rule book!

joe timney, wow what an awsome dude, very helpful.

and theres that turk fellow, another outstanding human being. just got to get past that, he thinks he's funny thing...lol, actually he is pretty funny. dont get upset when he calls your junk......junk!

remember never, ever, never, ever, fight with al.

as hard core they are on safety, every rule, concern, and action comes with a explanation!

ok, come, have fun, go really freaking fast.

ill be there, come say high

RUNT 2662, Breed MC Race team. p/pp-1350-4
who would have guessed it would take so long to go so fast for such a short time?

2012 Wilmington mile
April meet,
p/pp-1350/4 record, 132.601mph

September meet,
p/pp-1350/4 record 139.915mph [bump]
p/pp-1650/4 record 142.364 mph
p/pp-2000/4 record 140.009 mph
p/pp-3000/4 record 144.511 mph

2013 Wilmington mile
July meet,
m/pg-1650/4 record 137.278
m/pg-2000/4 record 136.695

Sept meet,
p/pp-1350/4 record 141.1986 [bump]

2014  Wilmington mile
May meet
p/pp-1340/4 record 142.5855 [bump]

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 12:57:55 PM »
Welcome Wade!!!

"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »
@ Dan, the Superbird is a street driver. We'll look into the Street Category stuff for it.

Thanks for the replies, we really are looking forward to the end of the month. Cant wait to see the action up close!

Wade

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 02:07:23 PM »

Are there any "Golden Rules"?

Make sure you know what time the drivers meeting is, and not work out in the pit dialing in you're engine.

That was embarassing . . .  :oops:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RansomT

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »
@ Dan, the Superbird is a street driver. We'll look into the Street Category stuff for it.

Thanks for the replies, we really are looking forward to the end of the month. Cant wait to see the action up close!

Wade

On the safety side of things, it doesn't mater what category: 200 mph dedicated race car has the same requirments as a street car.

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 09:00:15 PM »

Wade

On the safety side of things, it doesn't mater what category: 200 mph dedicated race car has the same requirments as a street car.

To clarify this. Call the car what you want (ie race car or street car). A 200 mph car has requirements. A 200 mph driver has requirements. If the car and/or driver does not meet the 200 mph requirements, the car and/or driver does not go 200! This is where the problems begin. An individual can go and by a "super car" that will go warp speed. The individual shows up and meets the requirements for 135mph. Of course said individual goes out and runs warp speed. Then wonders why the sanctioning body runs them off. 

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 07:41:05 AM »
I am some what ignorant on car tech items but as I understand it without the required safety items, a car is limited to 135 mph.

Joe

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 07:57:51 AM »
My first event was the last Maxton event where I was tech limited to 135. Can a 2010 Challenger with a 6.1 go faster than 135. OH YEA.

Over the winter I had a 10 point cage, not a roll bar, containment seat, fire supression system along with all the other requirements for car and driver to tech to 175. Large expense. Has the car gone 175? No. 153 mph my PB.
My plan for this winter is to add more safety equipment. And some minor speed parts.

Has it been fun, OH YEA. 

Come out have fun, go fast, repeat!!!!

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 10:47:55 AM »
If you have been going thru NHRA safety/tech checks. And I see you have! (Google is a wonderful thing, Nice pics of your Chevy!) You guys will have no problems. What is the "Birds" cage NHRA legal too? If the Bird is a street car (i.e. no roll bar you will be limited to 135). But, think of this, it is limited because a non-safety equipped car on it roof is an ugly thing. Any automobile subjected to a high speed roll-over is hard on the occupant!

My advice, join ECTA, get your rule book etc, etc. Go to the ECTA web site, look at the Top Speed Challenge portion for the "basic" car requirements. This is a good bit of info!

ECTA and mile racing in general has a reputation for being strict. This is put out by people who don’t go land speed racing! If you think about it, ECTA (and land speed in general) has the least restrictive of rules packages. You want to race a 1 liter midget, ok, a 7 liter diesel ok, bikes, side cars, an electric bike, turbine powered liner, ok.

Now, as the speed increases the safety requirements go up accordingly. This is how all sanctioning bodies operate! The problem is when tater heads build a 600 hp, 150 mph hamster and wonders why a sanctioning body requires them to wear a helmet.  :? And if they show up and say my hamster goes 150 mph I want to run, the sanction body wants to see the helmet. No helmet, no runs! Well then, the hamster rider gets on the info ‘net” and complains  :cry: about how “strict” the sanctioning body is, and are against hamster drivers because they require all hamster drivers to wear helmets. 

This form of racing is very enjoyable! What is really interesting to me is the “open” door policy that exists at these events. Walk thru the line or pits and people will talk to you about their car or bike. There is pride in what is going on, what has been built and how fast we have gone. (And there is sorrow when one is taken from us).

Shit, I’m on the soap box again. Sorry, I’m a one mile addict. Wait till I get my act together enough for the trip west to see the Great White Dyno!!!
 :cheers:

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 05:51:48 PM »
I am some what ignorant on car tech items but as I understand it without the required safety items, a car is limited to 135 mph.

Joe

Yeah, we both joined ECTA and have recieved our rule books. We know we are limited to 135 with the current set up. We just want to run and participate.

We do want to build a serious car for next year and are making plans to do so. The main thing is we want to complete a bucket list item and have some serious fun!!

We'll see you guys there..

Wade

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 05:53:41 PM »
Wade, it will be our first time too!

Hopefully, we'll see you there!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »
Ya'll will here Keith Turk say this more than once... DO NOT HIT OR DAMAGE A BLUE LIGHT, THEY COST $600.00 TO REPLACE... sorry didn't mean to yell. :-D

Frank
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15