Author Topic: thought on this idea  (Read 8937 times)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: thought on this idea
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 10:13:11 PM »
Found this on the net from Drag List and looks aero as you can get. here is the link http://www.draglist.com/artman2/publish/daily_pictures/Firefly_Bringing_the_Art_back_to_Front_Engine_Drag_2006.shtml  Tony

“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline desotoman

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 10:32:31 PM »
Tony,

Looks like someone copied my car. LOL. I have had this car for 20 plus years, and this picture is at the CHRR back in the late 1990's. I put it on display and at the time no one in T/F ran a canard on the front of their car. One year later there were about 4 cars running a setup like mine. Now most do.

I cannot be credited for this car as I bought it back in 1990 as a roller and it was already setup that way.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 11:16:57 PM »
  Don, that's the one.  Sorry I missed you and your son at Speedweek.  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 01:01:41 AM »
These motorsickle mufflers illustrate the four basic principles.

First, tuck the offending object in under the streamlined body if you can.  It cannot be seen from the photo, but the short glass pack tucks in better than the Arrow muff.

Second, align the object with the air flow.  The Arrow muff is upswept and the glass pak is almost horizontal.  The glass pak is better aligned with the horizontal air flow direction.

Third, reduce the object's frontal area.  The glass pak has less frontal area than the Arrow muff.  This is good.

Fourth, shape the object as best as possible.  The Arrow muff has a very non-aerodynamic reverse cone shape.  The glass pak has about as good a shape as can be gotten.

These are not car exhaust parts.  They illustrate the basic principles.

Offline wideopen231

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 08:39:05 PM »
  That little more extreem than I had but biggest differance would be the wing out back,the side canards are almost same as I have designed.   Does look bada__ .

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 07:17:28 AM »
The Contrivance Engineering car has "aero'd" exhaust.

TMan  whera da pics man :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 12:17:01 PM »
The Contrivance Engineering car has "aero'd" exhaust.

TMan  whera da pics man :?

I keep meaning to re-post them. Rex posted some in another thread but I can't find it!

Found the thread

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,11738.msg201115.html#msg201115
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 12:20:59 PM by Tman »

Offline wideopen231

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »
 Had simulart idea. I was going to work towards airfoil shape that slid over existing pipes. Only real differance would be leading edge slightly more to a point and rear to shaper ending. Problem is mine are upsweep so its either two pieces upper and lower with radius still round tube.  O I could flair off body side and around whole deal.  Bad part I'll probably never see differance in dragcar. Which will just mean i found out it doesn't make diferance,but I'll have fun trying it. Will not be first idea ever that did nothing and will not be last.  But hey if it works?