Author Topic: thought on this idea  (Read 8940 times)

Offline wideopen231

• New folks
thought on this idea
« on: September 02, 2012, 12:30:37 AM »
    I was reading some material tonight and the idea of streamling the exhast on my FED came to mind.   They are zoomie style headers,short and come together. Im thinking making airfoil shaped piece of .030 aluminum to sit around them would help good amount. Since round tube has lot more drag than good airfoil it just seems drag should be reduced.

So thought on idea. Worth anything or just another idea that ran thru mind and I might should have let it keep going.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: thought on this idea
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 01:01:16 AM »
drag is drag--- some are more than others  :roll:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 01:43:08 AM »
Sounds like you'll be going landracing with the dragster?

Edit: I see on the other thread that my assumption was wrong...

As for what I think- I see a potential new product- airfoil shaped zoomies for dragsters!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 01:49:45 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline wideopen231

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 01:54:10 AM »
Crap another idea going to make someone else money.  That should still be in list of  first hundred.  maqybe idea number 97 or 98.  bet sound will be loud as H____,about like a set if fintail exhaust on harley.

Isn't drag racing about same as land speed racing just in shorted distance?

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 08:23:07 AM »
The chassis tend to be quite different because the flex normally found in a dragster is deadly in a land speed car. The safety requirements also differ significantly in some areas. Converting one to the other is generally not practical.

Pete

Offline wideopen231

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 04:43:05 PM »
nobody said anything about converting dragster to land speed car.    One had said he thought i was building landspeed car but he read other post and saw that it was dragcar.

I made comment that dragcar was landspeed just for short distance. Its a joke comment.

Offline Jon

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 05:34:10 PM »
Hi Wideopen

Smoothing the whole shape is where it's at rather than individual components.
Think of washing your car from front to back with a water hose squirting along the direction of travel.
Anything that makes the water change directions fast or splash is draggy.
It's not a lot of use trying to make the air happy behind something that has already Plymothed it off.

My $0.02 worth.
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline wideopen231

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 11:23:22 PM »
agree that reshaping the whole body design would be better. problem a lot of racing org. wil not allow a lot of changes and still allow car to run nostalgia. Heck what i have in mind will have to be changed at some races. I know Im not going to make it super slippery bu if can help some its better than nothing. Im planing 2 bodys and one is the shorty style super lite,very cheap to build maybe 125 bucks. One is my bada-- look body.Maybe I can get some pics of sketches and show what i have in mind.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 12:06:31 AM »
How about a "Glass Slipper" type body?

Pete

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 01:23:19 AM »
How do your sanctioning bodies feel about "nostalgic" dragsters that had streamlining attempts? As Pete said, the Glass Slipper (mid fifties) was a famous one, and there were quite a number of others. Mickey Thompson come to mind- a number of his landspeed records were set with streamlined dragsters- Attempt 1, etc.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 02:52:31 PM »
  I have a picture taken in the last fifteen years of a lakester that had a set of headers that after exiting the body had some "aero deflection" plates welded too them.
  If I can find it I will send it to Slim who can post it............... I have permanetly given up any hope of posting a picture on this site, I have no teenagers or friends who speak "computereze" (nor do I wish for any) and the only ones in my neighborhood are into meth.............. or worse............... Bob (a crotchety old geezer who disdains anything new........... except for soft multi-ply toilet paper)
                                                    :roll:  :-o :-D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:54:14 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Tman

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 05:56:29 PM »
 I have a picture taken in the last fifteen years of a lakester that had a set of headers that after exiting the body had some "aero deflection" plates welded too them.
  If I can find it I will send it to Slim who can post it............... I have permanetly given up any hope of posting a picture on this site, I have no teenagers or friends who speak "computereze" (nor do I wish for any) and the only ones in my neighborhood are into meth.............. or worse............... Bob (a crotchety old geezer who disdains anything new........... except for soft multi-ply toilet paper)
                                                    :roll:  :-o :-D

The Contrivance Engineering car has "aero'd" exhaust.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 06:17:02 PM »
  Trent, I think that's the one, although I will keep on looking (so far found two dollars in change, a pound or so of dust bunnies, and a 1971 Winternationals pit pass.
  I wish I could find a couple more Visa or MasterCards to help right the Ship..........
  The good news for me is my Crew Chief says he can make the WF's so first thing tomorrow I will begin selling blood (a Blood Drive so I can drive?) to help cover expenses..................
  The car I am thinking of has "whoop-de-do's at the end of the forward exhaust tubes........
                                                             Bob
Bob Drury

Online salt27

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 06:26:16 PM »
Maybe this one?

Don

Offline wideopen231

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »
  Jack,

Some of the old stuff not a issue somethings are. For instance the frontwheel coverings are not allowed. The chassis specs and cage specs would cause some minor issue with few of the old  designs.

As I said before I can make mulitple bodys.Body very minor expence.Heck full body only about 3 sheets .040 aluminum and days work maybe little more.. 200 bucks at most.I tired to take pic of drawing nothing much showed very well. I have one side pod made and will try to post pics as soon as I get it mounted.  Its not final deal but rough start .