Author Topic: Drive to Floating Island  (Read 4345 times)

Offline Roland6250

• My Powered Streetluge Project
Drive to Floating Island
« on: August 31, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »
When the events are not running is it possible to drive all the way out to the Floating Island ?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Drive to Floating Island
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 12:36:14 PM »
You might invest in a hovercraft. Not very good conditions to get there. Getting stuck is not a good thing that far away with no help
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »
You want to be aware that it can BE treacherous out there---the cost of a retervial would be over $2,000.00 most likely
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Roland6250

• My Powered Streetluge Project
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 02:02:26 PM »
I guess I will skip the trip to the floating island.  I guess I'll be hanging out in the pits all day Friday.  I can work on my tan  8-)

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:26:24 PM »
Many years ago at a WOS meet in July where they let you on the east side I rode out there on a Honda Trail 70, its a lot furthur then it looks. The chances of getting stuck in a vehicle would be much greater.

Offline Tman

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
There are a couple good threads on the board that detail the far reaches of the salt if you search.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 09:29:13 PM »
If you go around the Silver Mt road you can drive right to it. Thats the one that turns off the Bar-S Ranch road about half way up the hill. From Floating Island, aka Floating Mt, you can go south along the causeway to I-80 & that brings you out at about the 37 mile marker. There is a gate in the middle of nowhere on the causeway & you'll need a hammer to pop the hinges to go through.
Country rule of thumb is to put it back when you go through it.
  Sid.