Author Topic: figuring aerodynamic drag  (Read 2771 times)

Offline wideopen231

• New folks
figuring aerodynamic drag
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:39:36 PM »
 HI,
 Im new to site and hoping to get some good info for project Im working on.

Im building a Nostalgia style dragster(front engine) and have some pieces designed for it that i would like to figure the drag for and what they will cost me drag/performance wise.

These are side pods infront of rear tires that will direct air around tires,a canopy for drivers area and possibly some sort of deflector infront of engine.  While effect is issue this will mainly be a bracket race deal running 1/8 mile and speeds in 150 area.  Also after a certain look attenion getter is part of design , but if can rework designs some and save drag or even help I would not be offended.  Only drawings and few cardborad mockups right now so changes are easy and cheap.

Also car will have whats known as parachute style body. Simply its extended in rear section to enclose the chutes and make body little longer and swoopy looking.Im wondering if some way to add spoiler in rear to give added down force to car especaily on 1/4 mile runs where speed will be near 200 mph.

Need all the help can get to run with newer style cars and figure these old thing never thought about aerodynamics as part of design.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: figuring aerodynamic drag
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 09:46:20 PM »
Is  it for drag racing or a LSR car.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline wideopen231

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 09:46:57 PM »
Sorry,

I need formula for calculating drag based on area,angle and speed.   Maybe more info needed to find out how much drag pieces might be causing and if anyway to figure benifit  they may have it would be nice info.

Any tips you guys might have can't hurt. Any info needed I will try to provide.

Offline wideopen231

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:48:24 PM »
Thought I stated it was dragster maybe not. Bad about getting ahead of myself.   Mostly 1/8 mile drags with some 1/4 mile stuff.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 09:53:43 PM »
The reason I asked was that SCTA/BNI rules will not allow certain items as side pods that would change the class from lakester to a streamliner. Not trying to put you or the project down just wondering about your goals are.  Sound like you have a plan and streamlining can be critical at speeds. Good luck and keep us posted when you start your build. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline bucketlist

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 06:54:26 PM »
Forbes Aird in" "Aerodynamics for racing and Performance Cars" says "There is no point at all in smooth bodywork at the back of a shape whose forward parts are as dirty and cluttered as those of a typical front-engined dragster of the 1960s". Also problems with streamlining include the need to carry the added weight, which generally appears to be a bad trade. But with bracket racing, absolute performance is not the criteria, only consistent performance.

If I understand correctly, you're after the look, and I say power to you. Like my byline says with tongue in cheek, nostalgia isn't what it used to be, and I respect those who try to keep a little of the past alive.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Offline wideopen231

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 12:24:51 AM »
Bucketlist ,

I agree making FED aerodynamic  is impossible.   But thers always improvement to be made.  I'm hoping to get air around tires better and around driver compartment instead of dead heading in it.   Also hoping to improve air around engine.  Been looking at headers tonight and how to improve aire arounf them since they sit out to side in airfow.

Unfortunately the newer style side flaps/canards found on modern top fueler may be best deal just not as sleek looking,although they probably lightest and better function.

Correct look is big part and max performance not as important in bracket racing.