Author Topic: Event Map  (Read 6551 times)

Offline m610

Event Map
« on: August 29, 2012, 12:26:58 AM »
This will be my first time at Bonneville so I am reading as much as I can so that, well, I do it right. Normally I spectate before I participate. That gives me a better idea of hos the event is run, what goes where, etc. I don't get to do that this time so I wondered if folks here would help out.

Here's a link to where I think this event is being held - https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207777553050609738365.0004c85f8383b2dccb7c3&msa=0&ll=40.760911,-113.931313&spn=0.101808,0.264187

I created a map called WOS 2012 but can't figure out how to link to it I thought it could provide a nice way for people to help the confused, by annotating the map. If you can locate my map, it is public, so annotate away.

For instance, where do the 130/150 mph cars run, and where do the more serious teams run? Where is the paddock/pits? Where can people spectate from? Where is that area where "primitive camping" can be done.

Also, the road names on this map are different from what I have read here and on the SCTA site.

Other than the map, what are the days like? Is there a long line of cars and trailers on the road entering the salt in the morning? Are the pits compact or is there plenty of room? Do people pack up and head for home before the event is over, and is it considered rude or unsporting to do so, or does everyone stay to the end? Stuff like that, for a new guy who wants to have an idea of how things go before he gets there.

By the way, using Google Earth I can get to ground level and run the course! :)

Some silly Photoshopping. They say it helps to visualize your event in advance. ;)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: Event Map
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
USFRA World of Speed map
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Wendover&1s=UT&1y=US&1l=40.737202&1g=-114.036697&1v=CITY&2pn=Bonneville%2BSalt%2BFlats%2BState%2BPark&2c=Wendover&2s=UT&2a=Salt%2BFlats%2BRd&2z=84083&2y=US&2l=40.7625&2g=-113.9187&2v=ADDRESS&2id=265854952

Spectator page
http://www.saltflats.com/Getting%20Started%20Guide.html

Also, the road names on this map are different from what I have read here and on the SCTA site.
The exit sign from I80 reads Exit 4 Bonneville Speedway. Go north, turn right at the bend in the road, drive to the end of the pavement. After that follow the crowd.
You can't miss the pits, it's where everybody is hanging out.

Hints for Bonneville
http://www.landracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=78
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 12:31:06 PM »
Some go home soon after breaking all of their parts, some stay longer.  No "rules".  The pits are big enough for you to take plenty of room -- have orange (or your color of choice) cones with you to mark your pit area - and then don't be bummed out when somebody needs to use a bit of your space on one side or another.  Pit neighbors have led to wonderful friendships (ask us).

There usually is NOT a long line of vehicles towing race vehicles, but one in a while, such as at exactly when Land's End opens first thing in the morning, or, like a couple of years ago, when the salt was still too wet for traffic -- so we did inspections on the pavement :-D.

Back to "where's what?"  The course layout depends on where the good salt is found in long enough stretches.  For instance, the "international" course, where Bub's and the Shootout run, is at a diagonal to the SCTA course - usually.  I think I remember reading that this year the 150 Club will run on the main course and the 130 Club on its own special course.  Said special course is some bit away from the regular course(s).  By the way, the 130 and 150 Club wannabees are just as serious as the racers going for a record in their class.

Camping is NOT ALLOWED on the salt per se.  The surrounding territory is BLM land, and you're welcome to stay on it.  Usually the large majority of campers stay at the Bend in the Road or up the road to the hills (SW) near the old dump and the gravel pit. It's higher elevation -- something you'll admire if wee get rain :roll:.

Caveat emptor, and Q E D.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 03:10:35 PM »
For the first time, I think, the 150 club contestants will not be on the main course. They are going to run on the "other" course with the 130 club, barstools, etc.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
Okay and thanks, Fred.  So I had it bass ackward -- I still did read something about the 150 Club changing things.  See you in a week and a half.  We intend to arrive out there for WoS on the 5st, but might not show up 'til the morning of the 6rd.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »
Leaving early is not a problem Dodger fans leave in the 4th inning for Christ's sake.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 03:46:40 PM »
I'll chime in here and confirm what Fred has said.  The 150 mph Club vehicles will be running on the same course as the 130 mph Club vehicles.  In past years that has been Speedweek course #2 and we anticipate it will be the same this year.  Jim Burkdoll, myself and other USFRA members will be going out on Saturday Sept. 1st to look at salt conditions and make our determinations from there.
There will be plenty of helpful people there to answer questions and point you in the right direction as soon
as you arrive at the end of the access road.

velocity

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 11:39:15 AM »
THE ITEM IN BLUE BELOW IS FROM MY FRIEND AND COLLEAGUE JOHN "GUNNAR" GUNNELL, A RESPECTED AND WELL-KNOWN AUTOMOTIVE JOURNALIST. ANY KINDNESS SHOWN THE STUDENTS WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED

For the past few evenings my friend Jim Rugowski and I have been busy working with students, instructors and volunteers at Fox Valley Technical College in Appleton, Wis., to prep two cars for the September racing event at the Bonneville Salt Flats near Wendover, Utah.

The red Pontiac Trans Am is making its second trip to Bonneville. Last year it ran 184 mph before it rained and the salt got bad. This year the goal it to get the car–which is now running nitrous–into the 200 mph club.

The blue Camaro is a brand new contribution that the students and helpers are building into a racing car for the 130-150 mph racing class.

The cars will be leaving for Utah in the early part of next week and the rest of us will fly out on Sept. 7. It is crunch time for getting the cars ready and I’m sure that anyone who wants to help work on them would be welcome to. (Call Dave Sarna at 1-920-470-1417 if you feel you could help the project.)

If any magazine or newsletter editors are interested in press information on this project or on the Fox Valley Tech auto technology program, I’ll be happy to work with them to help publicize this program and outstanding facility.

Offline m610

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 11:25:54 AM »
Thanks all for the replies, and my apologies for being so slow to get back to this thread. Mostly likely, like you, this last week or so has been busy making final preparations to the car as well as all the transport and team issues. I had wanted to create a build thread for our car, not that it is a major build, but just to let you see in advance what I'll be bringing so you won't be shocked when you first see it.

I had read the SaltFlats articles a while ago and I guess I forgot a bit of what was there. My recent read confused me a bit. I thought eh "big bend" was the name of the road, for instance.

As for the serious effort the 130 and 150 mph club teams will be making, I understand that well. Our goal was primarily to come out, have fun, hopefully not do too badly, and come home with stories and photos and video for friends and for team PR. But, the more I read and the more videos I watched (about 30-40) the more I wanted to do well, and the more I started to realize that this would not be as simple as a similar run on pavement.

I did a little light-weight aero simulations to see if you wing helped or hurt and to see if a splitter would help. Then I did a big spreadsheet calculation to see if if would be possible to reach 130 mph. Do we have the gearing? Yes. Do we have the power? No one ever has enough power. How much does aero matter at our speeds? We should be able to get to 110 OK, but after that we're down to a net 10 hp to accelerate the car, and small aero factors matter a lot here.

So we installed a 5 speed, then added dual Weber carbs, retarded the cam timing a bit, and are making aero improvements, such as putting windows back in the car and modifying the air dam. Clear packaging tape will complete the aero mods.

The car is a 1969 Opel GT that we run on the 24 Hours of LeMons. It was roller painted with Rustomeum Sunburst Yellow and stickered up to look like a little Compuware Corvette (famous in ALMS) and wanted to bring it our in LeMons race trim but in these last few weeks could not resist making a few changes to make it more successful salt flats car. LeMons is addicting enough, and now I've got a small taste of what could surely lead to a Land Racing addiction. Must resist!

It's going to the be tight, but we will be ready, even if I have to work on the car while towing it out to Wendover! ;)

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 01:41:57 PM »
Sunburst yellow certainly sounds appropriate for a LeMons car!  Hopefully all the new money you put into the car for WoS won't put you over the LeMons limit.  If you show up for tech on Friday or Saturday, chances are I'll be inspecting.  Ask for Jeff.
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline m610

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 05:45:25 PM »
Yellow, with the bumpy rollered texture, it even looks like lemon peel.

We are shooting for arriving and getting started on Saturday.