Author Topic: Virgin LSR Build  (Read 12872 times)

Offline Paulzbike

• New folks
Virgin LSR Build
« on: August 28, 2012, 02:24:06 AM »
 Hello, My name is Paul and I have made the decision to embark on a journey to bring a 1995 883 Sportster back from the dead and bring it back to life in the LSR arena. This will be a Father, Son project with Robert my 14yo gearhead.

The Bike: a 1995 XL883 Sportster that I built for my wife to ride to Sturgis in 97.The bike only has 10K mikes on it (although you would never know it by looking at it) The trip came and went and it was determined that riding wasnt for her and it hasn't been started since. The bike was stored in a newly built shed with many other bikes. A few seasons gone by, I opened the storage shed and was horrified to find out that the shed held a disturbing amount of moisture and it corroded everything. I had a Shovelhead chopper, a Ural with a side car, a Yamaha TT 600 a honda gullwing and a Honda XR600. I was able to resurect them back to their original condition except for the Sporty. The Sporty was very low on the priority list. A few moves later and it sits in the very back of the garage under a cover waiting for a time when its priority number gets called.

Fast Forward 12 years.......I just returned from SpeedWeek 2012 in Wendover with my son Robert. We spent all weekend checking out creative mechanical masterpieces. We drove there from the S.F. Bay Area. On the way home we started the brainstorming on what we could build to make some runs down the Salt.

Calling Sportster XL883.....your priority number has been called. After a dozen years in hibernation I have a use, and with a little 14 year old begging to Mom. The sporty was ours.

I realize that the 883 is not the best choice for getting a record but I look at this as a entry bike to get out there and race, When Robert turns 16 and if he feels the need he can make some runs. The other huge bonus is that the bike is FREE.

I assume that we will be running in the M-PG, M-PF, MPS-PG or MPS-PF classes or if we get really bold maybe the M-PBG or M-PBF class. As this is a work in progress design as you build who knows where we will end up.

I am fully open to all discussion, suggestions, and comments.

I will be posting pictures as we build, and letting you know what we are planning.

8-25-12:

The sportster is put on the lift. at least the tires hold air.

The Strip Down Begins:
Fuel Tank
Exhaust
Mirrors
Fenders
Lighting
Battery and box
all unnecessary brackets
wiring harness
air cleaner

My guess is that we lost 40 pounds of unnecessary crap.

Once we have everything is stripped it will under go a full degreasing and sanatizing.

Let the fun begin.  

Paul
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 02:49:04 AM by Paulzbike »

Offline Jon

Re: Virgin LSR Build
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 03:23:05 AM »
Welcome Paul and Robert.

Look forward to your build.
Do you have 4 rulebooks?, 1 for you, 1 for Robert, 1 for the shed and 1 for the can.

Great bunch of people on here that are all pretty helpful.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 04:27:33 AM »
I hope you're planning on another tie down location 'cause those bars gotta goooooo!!!!!  :evil: :evil: :evil:

This looks like an awesome father and son project.

Good luck to both of you and the main thing...................have fun!!!  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
1995 is a good year Sportster for a race bike. It has a 5 speed transmission which you will need. You might want to consider converting to chain drive as there are a lot more options in ratios for the salt flats.

Joe

Offline Tman

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:02:27 AM »
Sturgis 97 was one of the first very BIG years. Thats when the crowds started getting huge. Our office is next door to Black Hills Harley.............I can tell you about each Rally!

Sounds like a cool father/son project. Please keep updating this thread! Lots of bike guys on here.

Jessechop

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 10:34:22 AM »
I am still realitively new to all of this but I would like to give you a few tips on what I would do:

#1. budget. Take your budget, double it and you are almost ready to make a shake down run  :-D

#2. set a resonable goal. Dont look at a certin class and say the record is 170 so I HAVE to run 171. Be realistic. 125 -150 thats realistic to at least get going, then worry about putting down bigger numbers. My first even I only wanted to run 100 mph, and I ran 101.874. Goal achived. That was a morale booster. Had I went there wanting to run 150 and ran 101 I would of been hugely dissapointed.

#3. buy quaility. Some of the smartest things I have ever heard came from 55chevr when I asked him a tech question about tethers. He said somthing along the line of buying a Pingel switch so I only have to buy it one time. Alot of times the short way is the long way, so to speak

#4. Dont be afraid to ask questions!

There is more, but thats the basics. Keep it simple to get going

Offline Paulzbike

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 12:56:39 PM »
Welcome Paul and Robert.

Look forward to your build.
Do you have 4 rulebooks?, 1 for you, 1 for Robert, 1 for the shed and 1 for the can.

Great bunch of people on here that are all pretty helpful.

Cheers
jon

Thanks Jon, We currently have one that while only (2) weeks new is starting to get very dog eared and creased.

Paul

Offline Paulzbike

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »
I hope you're planning on another tie down location 'cause those bars gotta goooooo!!!!!  :evil: :evil: :evil:

This looks like an awesome father and son project.

Good luck to both of you and the main thing...................have fun!!!  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

I am in the hunt for 39mm clip ons with a 30 degree angle. But the existing bars help me move the bike around for now.

Paul

Offline Paulzbike

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 01:02:28 PM »
1995 is a good year Sportster for a race bike. It has a 5 speed transmission which you will need. You might want to consider converting to chain drive as there are a lot more options in ratios for the salt flats.

Joe

Thanks for the heads up, We are planning to run a chain conversion.

Paul 

Offline Paulzbike

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 07:48:16 PM »
Current needs List:

39mm Clip ons with about a 30 to 40 degree down turn.

Steering Stabilizer

Sportster chain conversion parts and various front and rear sprockets.

Teather stop switch

Any recomendations on what type of any of the aboeve items we should be looking for (quality wise) and what to steer away from , would be appriciated.

If you have any of these items in good condition laying around the garage and want to help us out with our first LSR build, Let me know what you got and how much you want for it. We are on a tight udget but know that this stuff isnt free. 

Paul 

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »
Pingle has a good tether switch -- because it works by a clip holding the plunger out 'til the cord is pulled.  No worry with safety -- it won't break instead of killing the circuit.

BUT - the Pingle on one of bikes is only 3-4 years old and exhibits symptoms of corroded contacts.  Frequently I'll get no ignition or any other starting electricity 'til I've pulled and let snap close the Pingle a handful of times.  It's a sealed unit -- no repair, I guess, other than to replace.  But other than that -- I like 'em.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Paulzbike

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 08:01:40 PM »
Virgin Build Cont........

The 883 Sporty is stripped down to the frame, motor and wheels.

I would like to extend the stock swing arm. Does anyone have any tips on the proper way to do this? Is there a formula to help to decide on how long to extend it?

Thanks for the info.

This site is great.

Paul

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 10:01:55 PM »
Easiest way is to get a swing arm off ebay graft the two together ... this link will show you how.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1255461&page=2

Joe

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »

Offline JimL

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 12:28:55 AM »
I've had good luck with watercraft (jet-ski type) kill switch.  They are made to survive in saltwater.  It is a grounding kill type, which I use by fitting my harness with a master fuse, near the battery, and then tapping the kill switch wire in, right after the fuse.  The other wire from the kill switch goes to ground.  When the tether is pulled, it shorts the main fuse to ground, killing the engine AND makes the starter solenoid inoperative.

Have spare fuses in your pocket at the line, just in case (done that twice...accidental kill, once by me, once by help).  The advantage of this system is, if the bike goes down, rider falls off....someone trying to help pick up the downed bike cannot get the starter cranking accidentally.

Also prevents accidental starter engagement of a crashed bike should wires or components get crushed or shorted.  Easy to diagnose, also.

JimL