Author Topic: Avanti Kid hit my car in Wendover during Speed Week  (Read 23063 times)

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
Avanti Kid hit my car in Wendover during Speed Week
« on: August 23, 2012, 09:57:19 PM »
It seems its safer to race my Avanti over 200 mph than to cross the street on Wendover Blvd.  Here is what happened to me (was doing the timing on courses 3 & 4) and Mike McQuire (was doing the inspection duties) on Thursday night at 09:20 PM after the SCTA?BNI banquet for race volunteers:

To All,

Just want to tell you that near the last days of helping put the race on at Bonneville, myself and a friend Mike got ran over in a cross walk in Wendover, Utah, the car hit us both at 20 mph, it spun us both in the air 5 ft above the car, then we both came down on the car and landed in the street. The guy driving never used his brakes, no skid marks.  This happened last Thursday (8/16/12) at 9:30 PM after a dinner that SCTA put on for the 125 race volunteers that supported the race.  The police arrived and the ambulance, they put me on a board and used a neck collar, then the ambulance took me 123 miles to Salt Lake City hospital, I was considered a trauma 2 category, so as soon as I got to the University of Utah hospital, they did a Cat scan and X-rays, then took me to the 6th floor, then after 8 hrs there, the surgeons looked at the results and told me no broken bones, no fractures, just muscle damaged to my left leg and I had a sore back.  They released me around 3 PM and my friend Lee Kennedy drove me back to the motel where all the race crew stayed, then told them that I was OK.  So now I'm on pain pills and have an doctor appointment this coming Thursday with my doctor at Kaiser.  I still waiting for the police report so I can contact the driver who hit us, his insurance company so they can pay for the ambulance and hospital stay.  So more to come, but its obvious the Lord really protected us both, guess He wants us to stick around some more, This sure scared my wife Barb, but I did call her while I was in the ambulance so she heard it from me and not from a stranger. Gosh, its safer for me to be driving my race car at over 200 mph than walking across a cross walk in town!!!

Take care, Dave  :cheers:

PS, the doctor said at age 73 I was in better shape than him!!
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Re: Avanti Kid hit my car in Wendover during Speed Week
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 10:10:57 PM »
Good to hear the damage was limited to things that can be handled with only some pain pills, and some outpatient care!

Larry

Offline Avanti Kid

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 10:15:01 PM »
Yes Larry it seems I'm doing great, today I went to my doctor at Kasier in San Fernando Valley, they took x-rays of both lower legs, no damage to them at all, just bruises!!!  Thanks Dave
Canyon Country, CA

Offline Avanti Kid

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 10:17:59 PM »
The other fellow hit in the cross walk was Mike McQuire who suffered a broken fibia on his right leg and a cut on his head when he came down from the accident, so he is on crutches!!
Canyon Country, CA

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:21:06 PM »
Glad to hear you're OK Dave. Now. Rember that "Look both ways" thing your Mom told you?  :x Wayno

Offline Ro Yale

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:22:42 PM »
So sorry to hear about you getting run over. Glad your healing and I hope you have a full and speedy recovery. Thanks too for your work at Bonneville.
Racers Race and Whiners Whine!

Offline Tman

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 10:44:14 PM »
Glad to hear you guys are OK!

Offline Avanti Kid

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 10:57:08 PM »
Thanks Guys, and Wayno we loved seeing your wing tank car it looks great and fast!!
Canyon Country, CA

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 12:37:19 AM »
Dave, I was absolutely shocked and deeply saddened and concerned when I found out it was you and Mike that had been hit.  I had just seen you that day working on the course 3 starting line and then the next thing I know you're in the hospital.  I'm very relieved to hear you're doing okay.  Get well and hopefully I'll see you out on the dirt.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 12:43:46 AM »
WaYNe'o  watchit they will think you'r a WA  :evil:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 05:31:07 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 01:20:32 AM »
Dave--I didn`t get a chance to introduce myself and say Hi this year, but I did work with Mike somewhat in Inspection. I am so glad that you guys are relatively OK. I can`t believe that your week ended the way it did, but your conclusion about Help from a higher power is right on the money, I would say. Please pass on my best to Mike if you are talking to him.....

Offline Bob Ellis

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 12:01:33 AM »
Dave , so glad you guys are OK , it was very disturbing to learn that two "orange hats" had been struck down.I too worked with Mike in inspection,please pass on my best to him also ,
All the best from Aussie ,

Bob.
Wanna go fast??  Come to Lake Gairdner! (It's Down Under!!)

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 01:37:42 AM »
Dave. Not too sure what a crosswalk means in Ut or Nv...In Cali it means stop. in NY it means "your on your own" Get well soon.. JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Avanti Kid

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 02:11:22 AM »
Hi, Mike Mcquire and I want to thank SCTA Billy Lattin and BNI Miriam Macmillan and Mike Cook for their concerns and leadership in assisting us both at the accident scene, this proves the Land Speed racer family really comes thru when you down, We want to thank all the folks who were concerned, especially Lee Kennedy who went to Salt Lake City to get me out of the hospital and back to the Motel where the race workers were; also I think Lee is about to be a grandfather for the first time soon,

Again thanks everyone, Dave and Mike  :cheers:
Canyon Country, CA

PatMc

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 09:21:57 AM »
 :x

Glad to hear everyone will recover. :cheers:

I learned from early on that I should assume that everybody in a car is a hired assassin out to kill me.  While that might not be accurate, it has saved my arse many times.  Just last week someone blew a red light while on the phone when I was 100' from an intersection going 45mph.  Only the assumption that they were planning to ram me stopped a collision.  And it happens constantly.

Street driver talent is falling rapidly.  I won't ride a street bike anymore because of it.  I'm thinking of developing a cellphone jammer with 1kw of transmit power.  If I get arrested for it, I will claim self-defense.