Author Topic: Motorcycle Rear Tire Alignment  (Read 13843 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Motorcycle Rear Tire Alignment
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 09:46:52 PM »
After accurately aligning the wheels you can make some measurements and a page like this.  I refer to it every time I adjust my chain.  It saves having to get out the string to align the wheels the hard way.   

PatMc

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 12:01:21 AM »
Those 500 Kaws hurt a lot of people.

Power was like switching a lightening bolt on.

Instant frame reaction that didn't quit until it was on the ground.

Then they made a 750.........

FREUD

The early Mach III was out of control  :-o.  IIRC ...  It had an ineffective steering dampener that was a knob on the top of the triple tree.  It had a front drum, a distributor, fairly tight steering rake.  It used bizarre "surface fire" sparkplugs, NGK BUHX?  It was the lightest though.  I think the H1D was the fastest.  Disc brake up front (pretty effeminate though), electronic ignition, side mount steering dampener that worked (there was a mount on the other side if you wanted to run 2), and longer rake (40 deg?).  Put velocity stacks on the Mikunis, cut 2mm of the bottom skirt on the carb side, fill gaps in crankcase with JB Weld, put some Bill Wirges pipes on it, port the exhaust, and tighten up the squish band, and it was a Z1 (KZ900) killer, and CB750's were like deer caught in the headlights. 

Sadly, many H1's died because people thought the could run off premix.  The main bearings were force-fed from the injector pump.  They would run for awhile on premix, then destroy the crank.  The crank cost like $500 back then.  So they ended up in junkyards.

I loved those bikes.  Memories are always sweeter than reality.

Offline rgn

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 12:15:03 AM »
Pat, you forgot to mention the inherent 'H' series vibration .... Even when stationary it appears  :cheers:

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 08:47:22 AM »
After accurately aligning the wheels you can make some measurements and a page like this.  I refer to it every time I adjust my chain.  It saves having to get out the string to align the wheels the hard way.    
I always make the sprocket side of the wheel about .050" further back .
your chain is on the right side of the bike?

initially, when setting up the rear axle adjustment , I use a 3 foot long,  .375" round rod.
 I want to have it lay across both sprockets evenly. if there is a gap then the rear sprocket is adjusted. this is done without the chain being on.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:53:14 AM by saltwheels262 »
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

PatMc

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 09:31:28 AM »
Pat, you forgot to mention the inherent 'H' series vibration .... Even when stationary it appears  :cheers:

:evil:

Nice...  She makes that bike look a lot bigger than it was.  

I forgot about the whole "hands behind you" passenger bar.  First time I gave male friend a ride, he used that bar to hold on.  Very shortly he decided that he'd rather be thought a fairy by grabbing me around the waist, than be road kill.  That was the only bike I ever gave my mother a ride on.  She broke down in Santa Ana (not the nice area) and I came to rescue her.

Look closely under the bottom rear of the clutch basket.  The shift shaft went all the way through the cases for wrong foot nations.  Factory pattern was N 1 2 3 4 5, all up.  It was linked so you could easily go 5 4 3 2 1 N all down.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:39:16 AM by PatMc »

Offline Freud

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 08:11:41 PM »
Bill Wirges had 3 of the 750's in his streamliner.

They were savage on your ears with stingers.

FREUD
Since '63

PatMc

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 09:38:43 AM »
Bill Wirges had 3 of the 750's in his streamliner.

They were savage on your ears with stingers.

FREUD

I would have loved to see/hear that.   :cheers: