Author Topic: A couple neat articles on Car #97  (Read 7290 times)

Offline dieselgeek

A couple neat articles on Car #97
« on: August 21, 2012, 04:16:13 PM »
From Neil Roberts, author of "Think Fast"

http://thinkfastengineering.com/2012/08/its-a-we-deal/

From Chad Reynolds of www.bangshift.com (excellent overall Speedweek coverage on their site!)

http://bangshift.com/blog/car-feature-lee-sicilios-1969-dodge-daytona-283-mph-bonneville-racer-can-he-run-300-in-a-muscle-car-we-think-so.html

I should have some in-car video up in the next couple days.  We had a blast at Speedweek 2012!!

-Scott

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
Re: A couple neat articles on Car #97
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 06:04:41 PM »
A "WE" deal? I only saw one guy working in impound!  :-o :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline t russell

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:16:17 PM »
you guys hicked some azzzzz  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »
  While I salute both Lee and his record, it sure would be nice of the media and especially Bang Shift (because it is both cool and revered as non-conformist) would help spread the word on some of the long time racers and what they run.
  A great example would be Jerry Cleland and Werner Schwartz (spl?) beautiful high boy powered by a straight eight Buick, or Gary Copes killer 41 chopped, channeled, stretched Chev sedan with GMC power (but with a nose lengthened to accept a Potvin front mounted blower with a 303 Old's behind it.
  There are a hundred more examples of nice looking, far reaching and really cool cars that race yearly at Bonneville with little or no chance of setting a record and therefor not of any interest to the mainstream media, so it would be really cool if someone like Bang Shift could do maybe a monthly story/interview with some of these guys.
  I think you and your readers would be greatly entertained and educated by what some of these folks have done in the past and how and why they want to race until they croak.
                              thanks for what you do, "One Run" Bob Drury

Bob Drury

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:38:17 PM »
  While I salute both Lee and his record, it sure would be nice of the media and especially Bang Shift (because it is both cool and revered as non-conformist) would help spread the word on some of the long time racers and what they run.
  A great example would be Jerry Cleland and Werner Schwartz (spl?) beautiful high boy powered by a straight eight Buick, or Gary Copes killer 41 chopped, channeled, stretched Chev sedan with GMC power (but with a nose lengthened to accept a Potvin front mounted blower with a 303 Old's behind it.
  There are a hundred more examples of nice looking, far reaching and really cool cars that race yearly at Bonneville with little or no chance of setting a record and therefor not of any interest to the mainstream media, so it would be really cool if someone like Bang Shift could do maybe a monthly story/interview with some of these guys.
  I think you and your readers would be greatly entertained and educated by what some of these folks have done in the past and how and why they want to race until they croak.
                              thanks for what you do, "One Run" Bob Drury

Bob,

I'm going to send your message to Chad at Bangshift.com.  I know he spent a ton of time taking pictures and trying to get stories like the ones you mention.  As all of us who have been going to Bonneville for a while know (me, only since 2006), there is just as much story in the unique cars, capable of blazing records or not, as there are in the latest tech racers like speed demon, the Maro special, etc.  Did you read any of the other stories bangshift.com ran during the week? 

I've spent my fair share of time working on some slower vintage stuff, helped nail up a few XXO records too.  I enjoyed that just as much as this year's project.  The whole point of bonneville is to be there, be involved somehow, and maybe set some records while having a great time (and being safe).   

-Scott