Author Topic: Official World of Speed 2012 topic  (Read 147157 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Official World of Speed 2012 topic
« on: August 19, 2012, 10:56:59 PM »
Ray got to start the topic for SpeedWeek, so I'll take over and get this one running.  The first thing I'll do is announce that WE WILL HAVE A SALT TALKS -- Salt Talks II, so to speak.  Since Nancy had a little bit of a crash Saturday and I was still pretty flustered Sunday -- we did not do the SpeedWeek Salt Talks.  And anyway, we were toying with a S T II idea anyway.  But now - - Salt Talks at World of Speed will take place Saturday, the 8rd of September 2012.  We'll have the party/picnic/cookout/raffle/etc at a different location than we have in the past.  The ST II will be held at the site of the New Bonneville Museum, on the east end of Wendover Boulevard ion Wendover, Utah.   The site is next to the big rock hill/outcropping and sort of across from CarQuest Auto Parts.

We'll have the usual hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, pop, chips, and so on, and, as usual, you're invited to bring anything else you might want to have (i.e. beer, wine, or booze).  Some of you might want to bring other foods - we've had watermelons, beans, bratwurst, and so on - all donated by racers and crews.  It's all good.

If you are one of the folks that donated a goody or three for Salt Talks -- well, it's pretty obvious that we didn't give anything away during SpeedWeek, so we'll take care of the booty you gave us and exchange it for tickets for the raffle.  We'll also have the usual cash giveaway.  Oh, yeah -- bring your own chairs and the like.

Mike Crawford, of CarQuest, wants us to have the picnic there so that we all make a good acquaintance with the site of the Museum, and also because he hopes to draw in a bigger-than-usual crowd that'll make all of us have a fine time.

Ask questions if you've got 'em, and please plan on visiting Salt Talks II on the 8st of September -- Saturday evening (starting around 5.30 or 6PM) of World of Speed.  We look forward to seeing you there.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline vette#128

Re: Official World of Speed 2012 topic
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 12:08:32 AM »
I can tell from the upbeat tone of the post that you are hitting on all 8 again! That's great,because it must mean Nancy is healing well and up for a good time again. Thanks for all you do and see you on Sat!
Ed
Ed Van Scoy
Four Deuces
(Salt,Dirt & Pavement)

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 01:45:08 AM »
"... the 8rd..." :?
"... the 8st..." :?
What if I wanted to read your post aloud? :-D

Mike Crawford- the mayor? He runs a CarQuest store?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 08:40:41 AM »
Jack, you made my morning -- by commenting on my use of non-correct whatchamacallits for the date.  I do that most of the time - just for the heck of it.

As for Mike Crawford - yup, he's the guy that opened a CarQuest store in Wendover a bunch of years ago, and he's also the guy that got himself elected mayor two or three years back.  We met him on our first trip to Wendover, through his sister (Kerri) who runs/works at the West Wendover Welcome Center.  Long story -- but yes, Mike Crawford is the guy that's pushing for the museum (along with John House and lots of others).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 10:25:19 AM »
Any artists who can color within the lines want to volunteer to help Mike and John develop some drawings to represent their ideas?  Don't have to be a registered architect or anything, just to give them something to shop around to make bid inquiries.  I can't even draw flies, but it would be a great opportunity for a skilled person help out.  Contact Mayor Mike if interested. 
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 10:31:01 AM »
Jon,
It was good to see you and Nancy at Speedweek.  We all wish Nancy a healthy and speedy recovery.  Glad to hear you will be having Salt Talks at Word of Speed this year.  I hope I will be able to make it this time.
Monte.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 01:52:05 PM »
I have a friend who is an architect here in Boulder who is a car guy, I will ask him if he is interested in a museum project.

He may not have the time but you never know until you ask.

Larry

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 01:06:52 AM »
We're a pretty diverse mob when ya get to lookin. Reverend Headgash of the Australian Bellytank team is a world renowned architect, I'll email him, maybe he'd have time for input.
  Sid.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 07:02:30 PM »
I would be delighted to help John and Mike.

Please tell them to pm me or pass on my email those who know.

Dik

velocity

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 11:41:07 AM »

THE ITEM IN BLUE BELOW IS FROM MY FRIEND AND COLLEAGUE JOHN "GUNNAR" GUNNELL, A RESPECTED AND WELL-KNOWN AUTOMOTIVE JOURNALIST. ANY KINDNESS SHOWN THE STUDENTS WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED

For the past few evenings my friend Jim Rugowski and I have been busy working with students, instructors and volunteers at Fox Valley Technical College in Appleton, Wis., to prep two cars for the September racing event at the Bonneville Salt Flats near Wendover, Utah.

The red Pontiac Trans Am is making its second trip to Bonneville. Last year it ran 184 mph before it rained and the salt got bad. This year the goal it to get the car–which is now running nitrous–into the 200 mph club.

The blue Camaro is a brand new contribution that the students and helpers are building into a racing car for the 130-150 mph racing class.

The cars will be leaving for Utah in the early part of next week and the rest of us will fly out on Sept. 7. It is crunch time for getting the cars ready and I’m sure that anyone who wants to help work on them would be welcome to. (Call Dave Sarna at  1-920-470-1417  if you feel you could help the project.)

If any magazine or newsletter editors are interested in press information on this project or on the Fox Valley Tech auto technology program, I’ll be happy to work with them to help publicize this program and outstanding facility.

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 12:18:02 PM »
Looking at the NOAA site it appears it may be raining out on the salt. Anyone have any updates?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 12:39:09 PM »
Our wx (NOAA) shows the storms are NE of the salt.  It also shows, dang it, that the wind is NE@14mph.  30% chance of rain today.

Whatever, we don't need it bone dry 'til about Tuesday.  I would rather not do inspections on the pavement again, although it did work out okay. . . :cry:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jag1046

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 12:48:16 PM »
Quick update on the Museum project.

Lou Fischer developed a Logo that I really like.

Mayor Crawford and myself have been working with Michael Dean over the course of the last week on design ideas. Michael, Mike and I all seem to be on the same wavelength as to how and what for the Museum building. I just got an E-Mail from the Rev. Headgash yesterday and I am going to copy him on what Mr. Dean and us have been kicking around...

Can't wait to see everyone at Salt Talks II

John
"Everytime I start thinking the world is all bad, I see some people on motorcycles, it makes me take another look" Steve McQueen

Offline Freud

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »
These are the fellows to THANK for the museum project.

John House and Mike Crawford.

They treated us very well when we were there.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline jag1046

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 04:20:48 PM »
Thanks Freud, now they all know what type of people I associate with....

Where you with the 550 team during Speed Week? Did not get a chance to hook up with you...

John
"Everytime I start thinking the world is all bad, I see some people on motorcycles, it makes me take another look" Steve McQueen