Author Topic: McAfee Virus program  (Read 4842 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
McAfee Virus program
« on: August 19, 2012, 09:49:28 PM »
McAfee did a upgrade last night and it knocked out a lot of computers world wide. You have to un subscribe it and re boot the computer then re install the program. It took all day to find out. Good luck.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Re: McAfee Virus program
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 10:06:07 PM »
McAfee is one of my least favorite antivirus programs. I used it for a while but it was causing my computer to constantly crash.
Got rid of it and switched to other antivirus programs and the instability problem went away.
In my experience their stuff does not play nice with some other programs.

Of course in fairness I have had windows updates kill my system too.

Larry

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 10:18:19 PM »
I have one computer that I use just for analysis that has no antivirus or internet connections. [Win XP Pro] Turns on/off so quickly it scares you! Runs like a charm! The other three computers just plug along and crash with regularity! The antivirus IS the virus now!  :-o
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

PatMc

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 11:53:32 PM »
As much as I'm disappointed with Billy and Friends at MicroSoft (their original name from when they were in New Mexico), their free AV stuff is the best we've run at any price.  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

I won't allow anything else on our machines.  It's the best of the best.

Offline Tman

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »
Pat, thats what I use.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:15:19 PM »
A buggy update released Friday by security vendor McAfee for its consumer and enterprise antivirus products, left the computers of its customers unprotected and, in some cases, unable to access the Internet.

The incident affected both home and business users, some of whom were still trying to sort out the problems caused by the updates on Monday and Tuesday, according to messages posted on McAfee's community forums and Facebook page.

The problems were introduced by McAfee updates DAT 6807, released on Friday, and the subsequent DAT 6808, depending on which product was used.

After installing these updates some home users started encountering errors when accessing the McAfee Security Center console, which prevented them from performing any action inside the program. Other users experienced a loss of Internet connection on their computers.

"I have 46 out of 152 computers, having this issue," a user who identified himself as bostjanc said on the McAfee community forum for business products. "I currently have over 3000 endpoints with this problem - solution asap please McAfee," another user named Derosa said.

"The issue is well over 24 hours old now, and it's been 'officially' confirmed for nearly 24. That's a very long time to have AV [antivirus] in a faulty state," a user named mjmurra wrote hours before McAfee released VSE 8.8 Hotfix 793640 to remediate the issue. "At least one saving grace is that many customers had their machine switched off over the weekend," he said in a later post.

VSE 8.8 Hotfix 793640 is mandatory and includes the full DAT 6809 package, McAfee said.

Because of this the file is approximately 100MB in size and deploying it to thousands of machines posed a challenge for some administrators.
[/size]
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Online salt27

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 01:26:55 AM »
McAfee did a upgrade last night and it knocked out a lot of computers world wide. You have to un subscribe it and re boot the computer then re install the program. It took all day to find out. Good luck.

Glen,
I could not get internet service and ended up borrowing a computer to check my email.

Then I thought I would sneek a peek at Landracing.com and low and behold there was the solution to my problem.

Thank you much, Don

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 02:43:15 AM »
I had McAfee a long time ago it sucks. I now only run the microsoft antivirus program.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 10:35:59 AM »

Glen,
I could not get internet service and ended up borrowing a computer to check my email.

Then I thought I would sneek a peek at Landracing.com and low and behold there was the solution to my problem.

Thank you much, Don

Sneak a peek????, ...."my name is Don and I am a landracing.com addict"....young Gus outed you mate..be honest with yourself. McAfee is like a near lethal innocculation, MS here.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Online salt27

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 11:31:37 PM »

Sneak a peek????, ...."my name is Don and I am a landracing.com addict"....young Gus outed you mate..be honest with yourself. McAfee is like a near lethal innocculation, MS here.
[/quote]

Ok Dr. G, you got me figured out.

It was good to see you again.

Don