Author Topic: USAC and Land Speed Racing  (Read 2765 times)

Offline MiltonP

USAC and Land Speed Racing
« on: August 19, 2012, 12:50:19 PM »
So I was curious about what Robby Gordon has been up to this year since he was taking a break from NASCAR although 'taking a break' for Robby doesn't mean much with his off-road racing schedule.  Anyways,  I am checking out his new Stadium Super Truck series starting up in 2013, which is modeled after a former Mickey Thompson series for those looking for LSR connections, when I note that the new series is USAC sanctioned.  Being a sucker for hyperlinks I decide to hit the USAC site where I spot 'Land Speed' on the sub-menu of racing series types.  Of course, the adventure ended there with a 'coming soon' response so I decided to throw it out here and see how much USAC has attempted to get involved in our sport in recent years.  I did see a reference to 'FIA/USAC records' but did not notice any references to USAC at BUB or Speed Week events in recent years.  Any comments or maybe someone here knows the 'rest of the story?'

:cheers:

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
Re: USAC and Land Speed Racing
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 02:51:54 PM »
I believe the SCCA has a rep on the salt at the Shootout, for the FIA records.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 04:32:56 PM »
I believe the club USAC is a member of ACCUS which is the FIA affiliated representative club in the United States. USAC have provided officials for FIA International (that are now FIA World) record attempts when staged in the USA - on the salt and on ovals. The timekeepers for Thrust 2 (Dave Petrali I recall) were under the auspices of USAC.

When Primetime ran the electric car in the Nevada in the USA they used SCCA officials, because USAC were already officiating at an endurance attempt in another State. As an FIA attempt organiser it is a matter of obtaining officials who are independent but are affiliated to the FIA.

As Dave Petrali timed the Thrust SSC bid USAC will probably have been involved in the last outright bid.

Of course for records not held under FIA rules there is no need for USAC or SCCA so they do not appear at SCTA (Speedweek) USFRA (World of Speed) or FIM (BUB) events. 

Malcolm
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 04:39:11 PM »
Yep USAC was the FIA rep at the Mike Cook Shootout.

Larry

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 04:40:38 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I wasn't sure about a BUB/FIM USAC connection but through it in there since USAC provided officials for MotoGP in Indy according to their site.