Author Topic: Salt flats surrounding mountains Ok to explore?  (Read 5769 times)

Offline Cereal KLR

Salt flats surrounding mountains Ok to explore?
« on: August 18, 2012, 05:16:45 PM »
In addition to riding motorcycles at BUB, for a break in the action we will...ride some more. Bringing a couple dual sports and thought of going up and over the mountains above the flats. Got to be some awesome photo ops up there.

BLM no mans land or Ok with spark arrestor in place?
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline makr

• I make my own rules
Re: Salt flats surrounding mountains Ok to explore?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 05:35:10 PM »
I am pretty sure it is wide open.

Plenty of people camp up there instead of in town or on the salt.
Ride fast, safety last.

https://speedofcheeseracing.com/

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 07:54:33 PM »
the Silver Mountains were a gunnery range for the Air Corps back in the day ... a lot of folks hunt for 50 caliber shell casing in the hills ...

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 08:34:25 PM »
Its a long very rough road to the end of the track but I drove out there 20 or so years back during a rainout day. I wouldnt advise going alone or driving out on the salt/mud. It might be a very long time for any help to arrive if you go alone like I did. As far as it being Ok, I never saw any signs saying it wasnt

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 10:13:31 PM »
I have driven up the hill on the access road as far as the gravel pit. When you follow in on a Goggle map it seems to go to Montana. Would be interesting to follow it sometime.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 12:25:44 AM »
Last year after the big rain, a couple of us drove up and went over the hill, turned right at the T in the valley, went miles and miles to the end of the mountains and came around the far end to a magnificent view of Floating Island, driving the south side road and coming out back down at the access road.  Takes some time, but a great drive in a 4x4.  If it's dry, I'd take my mother's Volvo, but bikes would be a hoot.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 12:37:30 AM »
There is a ranch on the east side of Pilot Peak along the lake shore that is posted as private property.  Otherwise it is pretty wide open.  We carry a lot of water, tools, and some food.  Also we have one of those emergency "ResQLink" personal locator beacons.  Lets say something happens like a broken leg and you cannot get out.  These can save your life.

Offline Texican

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 12:38:35 AM »
My lady and I drove the complete loop around Silver Mountains, hoping we could find traces of the Donner Party's tracks.
Once were visible, now obscured by time and weather; the pass they went through is obvious. I have a small P/U, fair clearance.

Would not try in a standard passenger car, unless short 2wheelbase, AKA VW bug.

Jim

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 12:05:43 PM »
Now it sounds even better,thanks for the responses!

Probably at least two of us, same model bikes (KLR`s of course) with spare parts /cables/liquids attached. Riding together for 30+ years, no ego involved. Careful exploration and respect for the terrain has kept problems to a minimum.This method has worked for us on forest rides in the past. Now to find a map of the mountain...

Offline gande

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 12:58:12 PM »
You might contact the BLM for maps and information.

Salt Lake Field Office
       2370 South 2300 West
       Salt Lake City, UT 84119
       Field Office Manager: Jill Silvey
       Phone: (801) 977-4300
       Fax: (801) 977-4397
       utslmail@blm.gov   

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 06:01:47 PM »
Thanks!

Will send them an e-mail for rules if any, and maps of old roads. Once I hear anything ,will be happy to share it here if anyone else has the same urge to roam around.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 03:15:46 AM »
in 2009,I hiked the mountains just off to the right of the road that turns off at "the bend", there were photo opptunitys wherever you looked, 8-),, being from the land of many dangerous snakes (Australia) i was keen to spot a rattler, didnt see any, and didnt push my luck by prying around too much,, :wink:,,   going up there is well worth the effott, i plan to do it again someday,, :-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 09:41:15 AM »
If you follow the road past the cemetary it goes and goes, branchs many directions, some require a jeep or dirt scooter. 
As suggested, tell someone where you are headed and when you will be back and the general direction you are going.  Take lots of water... there are miles and miles of miles and miles
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 02:27:19 PM »
Of course my inquiry came back mid week, but here is response from BLM office.

Jim,

I believe that you are asking for information on the Silver Island Backcountry Byway, there is a road around the entire mountain range (aprox. 60 miles).  I have attached a generic map, for a more specific map with land ownership I encourage you to purchase one at our front desk for $4.00 by calling  801-977-4300 or stop by our office when you are in town.  The map you will want to request is the Bonneville Salt Flats 1:100,000 map. As for what roads you can travel on, the area is considered limited to existing off highway vehicle travel, in other words no cross country travel but you can drive on routes that already exist.

As for filming on public lands, if it is for commercial use review the BLM’s film permit application at the web address below.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/salt_lake/more/lands/filming_on_public.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Roxanne Tea, Outdoor Recreation Planner

BLM Salt Lake Field Office