Author Topic: Flathead bell housing  (Read 2970 times)

Offline flatman

Flathead bell housing
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:11:50 PM »
Just got home.  Had a great time as usual.
I run a late flathead with a Muncie 4 speed.  I have a clutch blanket because as far as I am aware no one makes a sfi approved bell housing.  
At tech on friday I was told that I could not run any more events until I have a sfi appoved bell housing.
I have called QuickTime, Lakewood, McLoud, and Wilcap and none of them make a bell housing for my application.
The tech inspector that looked at my car was sure that there was one available.
Is any one out there aware of a bell housing that is made or can modified to work?

Thanks,
Jerry Wortman
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:41:05 PM by flatman »

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Flathead bell housing
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:30:36 PM »
Perhaps the inspector is unfamiliar with rule 3.O??  And 1.A first paragraph, in bold.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 11:08:33 PM »
I use an SFI bellhousing on my 1932 Plymouth four. I use one on my 1926 Dodge Bros four. I used one on my Jensen-Healy/Lotus 907. All made for Ford small block V8 engines. How? Locate and drill. Now on my Packard I used a piece of 1/4 steel bent and weld to make a 360 ring as required in the rule book. Anybody who tells you you need an SFI approved shield needs to read the rule. For a 59A block you are going to have to bend up something.

Offline Don Brent

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 12:21:41 AM »
For what its worth I use a SBC SFI bellhousing on my 8BA with a Muncie behind it so this sounds like about the same as your set up.  It takes some carefull drilling to both the motor plate and the bellhousing but has worked fine for several years now.  I also welded a flathead starter plate to the motor plate and use a stock flathead starter.  Not a big problem to make one work
Don

Someday I have to give up on flatheads.

Offline bigtim44

• NaCl addict
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 10:54:45 PM »
Jerry
PM sent.
cheers  :cheers:
Tim
Salty Box Racing #622 B/DT