Author Topic: Trailer front aerodynamics  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Trailer front aerodynamics
« on: August 14, 2012, 09:31:56 PM »
While I was at speed week, I seen some flat bed trailers that had like a nose on them that covered the front of the trailer, but the rest of the trailer was open.

Where does one get this? What are they called?

TIA
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Trailer front aerodynamics
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:18:25 PM »
Clay, I've sen lots of those trailers up in the UP of Michigan - where they're used to haul snowmobiles (and other stuff, too).  I assume the front is to keep the worst of the slush and snow off the sleds on the trailers - without adding the cost of walls and a roof to a trailer.  They'll deflect road crud and maybe do a bit of aero improvement, but the main thing, as far as I know, is to keep the cargo on the trailer a little bit cleaner.  Is that what you were asking?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 09:47:01 AM »
Clay, like pretty much everything I own, I have the low buck version of that.
I have a full semi fairing from a Freightliner mounted on my sled trailer & I plan to put it on the streamliner trailer to go racing.
Take a look around some of the trucking companies in your area, you can usually pick them up pretty cheap. Mine was a freebee.
  Sid.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »
Sid - photo?

Offline edweldon

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 02:09:03 AM »
Couple of thoughts on this.....
Near 40 years ago when we moved from NJ to California I towed the family car with tow bar hooked to a U-haul Van truck through a rainy and snowy late November.  By the time I got to CA the towed car was so dirty it was impossible to see light through the windshield and nearly so the side windows.
If the race car on an open trailer is relatively low, like a roadster or lakester, you could make a fairly decent dirt shield out of the back half of an old fiberglass truck bed shell.  The rear door facing forward would provide easy access but might have to be covered with something to protect the glass from rocks.  Cover the side window openings with 3/8" exterior plywood and paint the whole thing to match.  Then get a bit inventive with a quick release system to hold the shell down while traveling.  A plus of this setup is that easy to pilfer stuff can be placed up there around the front wheels out of sight.  That's going to be my basic plan for my LSR effort (lakester on an open trailer) although climate conditions in the Western summers usually don't get messy with storm conditions like other parts of the country.
Not always the case, though.  When I left Wendover last Thursday my truck looked pretty nice thanks to the car wash behind Smiths.  But by the time I got to Winnemuca it looked like I'd spent the afternoon driving around an open pit mine in a thunderstorm.
Ed Weldon
Captain Eddie's Day Old Fish Market -- home of the Bonneville Salt Fish
Featuring the modern miracle of mechanical refrigeration.

Offline Tman

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 03:14:02 PM »
Clay, like pretty much everything I own, I have the low buck version of that.
I have a full semi fairing from a Freightliner mounted on my sled trailer & I plan to put it on the streamliner trailer to go racing.
Take a look around some of the trucking companies in your area, you can usually pick them up pretty cheap. Mine was a freebee.
  Sid.

What Sid said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I am making a rig to haul the lakester with one. I know a guy that runs a truck salvage. He is giving me one tomorrow. He gets so many in that they cut them up just to make space.