Author Topic: Section 1 General Competition Requirements  (Read 4503 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Section 1 General Competition Requirements
« on: August 14, 2012, 09:30:33 PM »
Heads UP !!!

NOTICE:   

This section starts off---
Land Speed Racing is a dangerous sport.  There is no such thing as a guaranteed safe high speed run-------- participant accepts all risks of injury--------or other wise.

then 1A goes on to spell out that no competitor will be required to modify/revise/rebuild/---ect ect with out a direct citation of a rule---ect ect---

Why in the world is this even needed to be in the rule book?????

MY personal comments and observations::  We are at a most personal trying and challenging time for our sport.  Most of us have other intrest in our lives and we vary hugely with our economic back grounds.

When one shows up with no car and is just going around visiting and talking---you get to talk and listen to alots of folks who have had lots of experiences.  Some offer to help-- some seek help-- some need help and do not know it--some have an axe to grind that has NOTHING to do with what happened at an LSR meet or meeting. 

I ramble and am not a very good writer---but it is apparent that we have things going on within our sport that are carryovers from outside of LSR---this is VERY DANGEROUS---we need all the allies we can get to fight the battles we are going to have to fight to preserve our racing venues.

What we all should be able to expect is to be treated with a common courtsey and and be judged by the way we act and treat others on the race course.  What you do, who you are, what you say or do in your other life should not matter.  Some times we are temped to "GET EVEN" or to inconvience others that for whatever reason one does not like---I urge you to reconsider---We do not need or want "Circle Track" mentality to creep into our sport---to be continued--I am back  What I am concerned about is an attitude from the dirt track.

" You DO me--I OWE you--I PAY MY DEBTS.  In LSR we cant' PAY BACK on the track--some may tempeted to try to do it elsewhere.

We never know when we may offend someone who is much more politically connected and they may try to harm all the hard work that has been done on behalf of our sport with a well place comment to a person who has real power.

Please lets race each other, inspect each other, treat each other straight up comon courtsey that we have such a wonderful reputation for doing. as the Mayor is so proud of relaying--- It is a way of life-- lets work on maintaing our reputation---Thanks for tolerating my rant

SSS please feel free to dump this if you or others feel it is out of place!!!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:18:13 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Section 1 General Competition Requirements
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:16:09 PM »
Sparky - and everyone.  No, I don't think I should "dump" your post.  It's a fair thing to talk about -- the basic idea of what we think of as "our" hobby/avocation/sport/addiction/affliction - etc.  I don't think it's out of place for you and maybe others to state your fears and your hopes about land speed racing.

I'm happy to be able to state that there have been about - oh, say, maybe 2 zillion examples of the great attitude that all of us seem to have.  I've got to think hard to find a bad thing that I've heard expressed.  I've heard folks grouch about this or that, but someone that is seriously trying to make bad stuff happen - for his personal agenda, whatever it might be -- that's hard for me to find.  Maybe one of you folks out there in Forum-land haven't been so lucky as I have and have run across someone that's trying to steer us in a bad way.

I'll admit that early in my land speed racing times I would let a nasty thought enter my head, thinking maybe that I should try to "get even" or worse, try to interfere in some way with some other racer's personal efforts.  I'm happy to say that I've learned that isn't what a right-thinking racer ought to do.

With the unfortunate incident that happened to Nancy a few days ago I've been absolutely overwhelmed by the outpouring of love, sympathy, help, and support from so many people.  Many, MANY of 'em -- I don't know from Adam, it seems -- but they all know who Nancy is and what happened, and ask how they can help her feel better.  What a wonderful group.  All over the world, understand, not just here in Wendover.

But that's not what's making me so happy to be a land speed racer - it's just the most recent show of what's so good here, and it helps remind me that I need to do the best I can to give back to all of you - to keep the fun where it should be - right at the top of the list of goals.

I could tell you of things that happened last week that proved, once again, how great you all are.  But I won't share those stories - they're my personal trove of good feelings.  But I will tell you that I want to keep this website up and running for all - so that maybe, through the vastly improved communications that landracing.com allows us - we can keep the bad guys at bay and keep land speed racing the fine amateur and free thing that it is.

End of essay.  See you on the salt. :-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 01:24:33 AM »
It was a good few days on the salt for me. Heard very few grumblings about tech or the way the courses were run. That was far better than some things I heard last year. We got 6 runs in 2 1/2 days. could have had 12 if we wanted to play more Monday but the truck did all she could.

I was impressed by my time on the salt this year. got to meet many folks and see old pals as well. BTW, who the hockey sticks ordered that wind and the rain!!!!!

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 09:37:07 AM »
Sparky, SSS

Amen, lift is too short to carry grudges of any kind. I agree let's not bring the bad habits  from other sanctions or venues. I agree with Slim, I have not experienced anything but great people and a love of the salt and going fast. For example, last year I was all stressed out a few weeks before my first speedweek over not have a push truck. A gentleman I never met before but had exchanged ideas on this forum said don't worry Bill, I will build a push bumper and meet you on the Salt. He asked how high my push bar was and I said 15". The guy drove 12 hours one way, pushed my car for almost a week and would not take anything but a T-shirt in return. I have many more similar stories. That kind of thinking is what makes LSR the best motorsport on the planet.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:36:36 AM »
Spark..I think you miss the point of your inquiry at the begining of your post. First this is the era of the lawyer and the first thing a spouse will say at the trial is "No one told him it was dangerous" and it must not be because it isn't written done anywhere in their rulebook.

Second. for many years, too many to be exact, inspectors were telling competitors to change things on their race vehicles which met the rules spelled out in the book but was not liked by the inspector. These things were written in there logs and must be remedied before running or running at the next meet. For the most part competitors had no recouse. On some subsequent inspections a different inspector would say or ask "what the hell is this doing here" and what could the competitor say.

Now any inspector wanting a competitor to add or change something must show them the exact place in the book which spells that out and the "voilation" if thats what you want to call it.

This is and was the finest statement add to the book in the last 30 years since I've been running.....................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »
Jimmy 6

Thanks, I have abetter understanding.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 12:38:32 PM »
JD  I am 100% in agreement with your statment---

I was just using the rule to point out that PERSONALITES have been rampant in the past and some are STILL trying ---rules not with standing.  I probabaly have been thought of as such now.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!