Author Topic: Passing the Salt for El Mirage November Visit - Tips?  (Read 2212 times)

Offline MiltonP

Passing the Salt for El Mirage November Visit - Tips?
« on: August 12, 2012, 01:04:14 PM »
Hi folks.  I run bikes with the ECTA and LTA and am passing up on my annual trip to the salt this year to get a glimpse in November of El Mirage and also get my nostalgic drag racing buddy a look at the events and museum at Pomona.  I figure the forecast may impact which day(s) we visit El Mirage but I wanted to get a feel for the weekend schedule from you guys and gals.  What time do you typically start running each day?  I am assuming it starts later on Saturday to allow for tech, drivers meetings etc...  At this point I am figuring on staying back near LA and driving back and forth the same day to give us maximum flexibility. 

Are there any must stops that I should plan on from the land speed racing perspective?  There are plenty of hot rod and drag racing options to fill our time with.  We will be starting with the Pomona Cruise In when we arrive Wednesday and fly back Monday.  Always looking for that special food/beverage stop for motor sports fans. 
 :cheers:

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
Re: Passing the Salt for El Mirage November Visit - Tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 11:40:01 PM »
 :-D
For the November meet,  (remembering the record for raceable weather is 50/50) Tech is held on Friday, the racers start to run about 7 in the a.m. Saturday, run until wind, weatheror lack of cars (doesn't happen much) stops them for the day.  Sunday morn.,. same routine until interest falls off and people start to pack up and go home.  Be prepared for chilly , to cold evenings, and some of the nicest, most interesting, and generous people in the world !!!  (I gush!)  You will have plenty else available to do and see within 100 miles of the race course,,,i.e.  Gene Winfields Shop, Calloways yard ( at the race course on the lake,) The Old Crow Speed Shop, in Burbank, So What speed Shop, Lucky's Shop, etc. etc. etc.  Enjoy yourself , and if ya feel like meeting a new friend, I am Crow ( my real name), Black chopper, cowboy hat and loooong grey beard !  Stop me if ya see me and introduce yourself !  I also was a first timer at Elmo and Willie , and Sheri Buchta, John, and Michelle Noonan, Scott (Skillet) and Paula, with the "Bar Car",,,aw heck,,,I'm tired of typing,,,,,,BCNU THERE !   Crow(try SCTA web site for lots more Elmo info)  ,,,,
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline FADED

Re: Passing the Salt for El Mirage November Visit - Tips?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 12:49:59 PM »
They actually have tech on fri from 12-4 so we're ready to run Sat morn depending on the weather we usually start running by 8ish on each day. To get the full effect of the experience you need to stay the night on the lakebed (sleeping in the dirt). And the comute to LA is @ 2 hours each way (fyi). See you there!!