Author Topic: Rookie rules don't apply to all?  (Read 42345 times)

Offline dw230

Re: Rookie rules don't apply to all?
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2012, 10:56:54 AM »
This issue was discussed at length at last night's board meeting.

The outcome was that a person overstepped their authority, over rode Nathan's protest and proceeded to embarrass the SCTA officials and members. The President will be having a one on one conversation with this indivdual. The board of the SCTA and BNI apologize to everyone involved, rookies, veteran racers and the cast of volunteers who make Speed Week the great event it is.

The board will make every effort to follow the association rules and make our events the best they can be.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »
  Dan, hopefully speaking for most of us, thank you for posting this information quickly and hopefully dousing the campfire.
  If we could all just try to keep our focus on the goal line; having a safe, well run racing season, and helping each other (and the SCTA/BNI staff) do their best to make this happen,
nobody should end up with heartburn or hurt feelings.
  Just to put this into perspective, The National Football League is trying to use replacement referees.  What if all the SCTA event officials and workers said "the hell with it".
  Where would we be then?
  Although this incident has been a black eye to our sport, and although through the years there have been others, It may have been the "wake up" call we all needed, but lets try to make changes through our club rep's and keep the animosities to ourselves.
  This sport exists only because of the help of each and every one of us.       Bob
Bob Drury

Offline salt27

« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2012, 11:32:12 AM »
Dan, Thank you for keeping us up to date and letting us know there was a reaction.

Don

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2012, 03:04:15 PM »
Thanks Dan. 

Can this tread go to sleep now?
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2012, 03:12:41 PM »
Thanks Dan, and thanks to the board for taking this up---sure doesn't suprise me about Nate.  One will meet few in life that will treat them straighter and more impartial than my experiences with Nate.

For Dan, Nate and the Board  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Nitey night

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2012, 05:14:18 PM »
Thanks for the update Dan!

Offline wjesel

• New folks
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2012, 07:09:26 PM »
Well actually today is the first I heard of this thread so I thought I'd give you my side of the story. I want to make it perfectly clear that Jason & I attended the WHOLE rookie meeting and after it was over Nathan gave him the rookie sticker for his helmet. We asked and recieved an ok to run on the 3 mile coarse and were able to start @ 175. It does say in the rookie orientation booklet that sometimes exceptions are made on the runs required and it is looked at on a case by case basis. I asked for that exception based on the trucks previous performance and the fact that Jason had alot of racing experience ( other than salt ). Here where it gets messy. When we were able to make our first run at 175 we decided to put the gear in that we would put in for the faster runs. It was a rush to get it done and we screwed up and put the 3.18 in instead of a 3.33. It's not a big difference but probaby around 10 mph which still would be 10 over so we were still above what we should have run. I'm not giving excuses, just the facts the way it happened. Jason runs 194 on his first run and the starter would not sign off until then we were told to go back up and run under 175, he went 171. We got signed off on the up to 175 run and up to 200 run. Typically the next license run would be up to 250 but we were told to keep it 210-215 ( + or - ) not up to 250. He went 217 at the 4 and then eased the throttle to run a 213 at the 5. Then after that we could make a full run. I do not think the SCTA did anything out of the ordinary based on their guidlines that showed us favoritism. We certainly did not go there with the intention of getting away with anything and it's my personal opinon that because WE SCREWED UP that it cost us a higher record due to the fact they did limit our speed. I apoligize for any hard feelings this may have caused.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2012, 07:12:40 PM »
Wayne, thanks for your side of the story. I think both sides have learned a lesson. BTW. congrats to Jason and you on the record.  :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline wjesel

• New folks
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2012, 07:21:24 PM »
On another note someone questioned the bumper on the truck. The truck has a complete SRT 10 package on it which has a splitter type front bumper on it. The MP class falls under the Gas Coupe rules which allows a front air dam from the leading edge of the front bumper dowm. I hope that clarifies the way it looks.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2012, 07:53:13 PM »
We appreciate your comments, thanks.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2012, 09:51:02 PM »
  Thanx Wayne, and although I am sure some still have doubt's, I think that anyone that knows you, and knows the SCTA personel involved (and I DO), it is what it is.
  As I said in a earlier post, lets accept the facts for what they are, learn from it, and move on.
  I only know Jason from his drag racing tv interviews, but he sure doesn't present himself as a person who would try to screw anyone.
  And although I can't stand Greg Anderson (what can I say), they actually tune each others cars, so if Jason wins, Greg tuned it.
  Now if that isn't a first, I will eat my brand new red SCTA hat.
  I have already expressed my opinions on Wayne and how he helped me to diagnose a problem unrelated to His companies valve train that cost me a couple of grand (which is a hell of a lot for a guy racing on Social Security, a modest Union pension, and a few sponsors who help with the nuts and bolts, etc.
I am neither bragging or complaining when I say that every dime I have is either invested in my car or spent trying to hit the record (actually I don't give a rats Acura about the record, although it would be nice), But what my personal goal is, is to be the first Loewy stock bodied Stude coupe to go over 250 and do it without a blower.
  We thought we had a handle on the motor three years ago when we installed a Jesel valve train, but due to a set of Comp Cam lifters with the oil holes drilled at the wrong height, Everything went to Subaru real quick.
  Wayne not only came over and gave his opinion but called my engine builder right on the spot and gave him support through out the fix.
  If fortune smiles on me and we have good salt and weather, you may be lucky enough to see "one mother        fast Studebaker (if the driver can keep up with the car) at the WF, and although I owe a lot of thanks to my engine builder, Virgil Hanson, without Waynes peronal help, I would most likely be known forever as "One Run Bob" which Marlo says is for life no matter how many runs I make...... Bob
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 07:34:42 AM by SPARKY »
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2012, 07:51:19 AM »
Wayne its for the mile-- and not at the mile. Which did you use for the record the 13 or the 17?  Look at UPside benefit-- there are several more  comp. hats left in this combo!!!  :roll:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2012, 11:10:54 AM »
I followed this thread now since I be back home.

Thanks to Bockscar team I'm not anymore a rookie as a driver and I also make it with the big help from the team into the record book, I like to make a comment on the rookie situation....

Jason, congrats to your record....and maybe the luck was on your side....and everything went well....

but unfortunately you be a very bad example for the coming rookie generation.

With my background from my work and with all the years at the salt....maybe I was better prepared to run a racer at the salt as you.

But I done my rookie orientation and listen to Nathan....and he done a great job....especially for the team who be for the very first time at the salt....he not only gave good advices to the racer but also for the teams who has to take care that the racers goes safe down the course....well done, mate.

I done the rookie orientation with the company of Stainless, just in case that my bad English would be not good enought to follow all.

After I had picked up my rookie sticker....Stainless done at first two runs, that he could be sure that the lakester is well prepared for me as a rookie.

I done my rookie run to get the feeling for the car....I was glad that I was not fast enough to go straight to the C license.....and could make another pass for my D license.

During my D license run I saw on the GPS that I was close to the 150 mph...so I lift the pedal to take care for the rules.....I managed a 147.7 for the 2 1/4 and a 145 for the third mile....as the starter always said...a gas pedal got two direction...and both are allowed to use....

When I done my C license I hit a deep hole in the course.....and I said thanks to my D license run...without them I would never had a chance to overcome this situation...just thinking if this happens directly after my rookie run....

Next morning I talked to Lee Kennedy.....base on my experience I said to him....that it's hard for me, to understand, how they let racer making the C license run direct after the rookie run, when they reached a speed between 125 and 150 mph on the rookie run.....especially in cars like a lakester or a streamliner....this is a totally different experience than any normal sit in car.....

At my B license run everything went so well that I got the chance to make 200 mph in the fifth mile....which would had me qualified for the return run.....the GPS showed me a speed around 196 mph when I went through the four mile marker....and I shift into the fifth gear to protect the engine and coasted with a 195 mph through the five to get my B license.....and Doug the starter had a big smile in his face.....

The following runs never got me my A license....I done my A license on my record return run on Friday morning....but my seat time in the car was important....on each run I improved my driving skill.....especially on Wednesday afternoon during my 7th run....I was glad that I got meanwhile a much better experience with the driving of the lakester and not to use only luck to overcame a critical situation by the extremely rough and bad course.....

Without all this run I would not have finished my record run....but on Friday morning I was prepared to overcome some situation and during the run with all the minor troubles I always had the control over the lakester....and the thumb above the parachute button if something happens.

If we like to have safe runs at the salt....the today rookie procedure is a must....and it is doesn't matter what you drove before and how fast you drove before....salt is SO different to any other surface you can drive.....

Keep this going and take care that it stays so....just for the safety and that we shows not up with picture on the first page of the newspaper....we like to have positive advertisment for our sport we love.

Have a safe and successful season

Pork Pie
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »
Bob D, it's over quit whining. :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RichFox

« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2012, 11:46:47 AM »
I'm with Glen on this. It's a done deal. Nothing bad happened. Since the rules apparently allow for a judgement call in these instances. And the call turned out well. Why not just move on? The point has been made.