Author Topic: Rookie rules don't apply to all?  (Read 42347 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: Rookie rules don't apply to all?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 06:21:06 PM »
He has a "hat" like many. Many (most) earn them, others just drive for them. I wear mine to the NHRA Drags when I go. If he sees it/me and makes a comment on how I recieved it I'll say "I earned it."

He has "earned" his NHRA Championships.

He has a lot of experience in another venue but none on the salt. I can not do what he does on a drag strip or nor would I try. I'm sure he would have known what a lose condition would have been and would have driven accordingly. He is not the first or will he be the last to recieve a "hat" like he did...JD

First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 06:49:46 PM »
Damn you Stainless! {I miss you! :-* }

When we brought Josh out to license up we were told sternly & repeatedly that it didn't matter what you had done anywhere else or how fast. The salt was different and you were licensing for the salt. No exceptions! After Todd & I were penalized for admitting that we held A licenses on pavement we told him to keep his mouth such even if they asked and just do the licensing everyone else had to do so he didn't have to pull an extra license run like we did!  :roll:

After all the revamped rant about everyone needing to exhibit that they can follow the rules and control their vehicle and understand the course layout & turnout procedures blah blah blah, and if you screw up your license pass you have to do it over blah blah blah... I guess that only applies to the peons. Glad to see nothing has changed while we take our time-out!
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 07:46:42 PM »
Debbie,

What are Todd and you up to? I was just asking Freud if he has heard from you. Seems like you disappeared in the night. Glad you resurfaced.

IMO one of the people who should not have let this happen is Wayne Jessel, the car owner. I have complained about Licensing violations on occasion over the years. I am glad someone else is finally seeing it also and speaking up.

Tom G.

PS. Any exceptions will be at the discretion of the Race Director, Rookie Director and/or the appropriate Tech Chair or Chief Inspector and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:04:13 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline bak189

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »
40 years a BNI/SCTA member....raced up until 2002 only BNI every year.........
If I had a dollar for every "blatant rules  happening" during that time I would be even richer then I am now........Just try racing in various sidecar classes,
and see how the rules and the way they are inforced change by who ever is in charge......One of the many reasons our team since 2003 raced the BUB event
Yes, BUB had some problems......but there is someone to talk to and they hear what you have to say...........BNI/SCTA is the "good old boys" network and it will allways be that way..........But until Denis Manning's BUB event BNI/SCTA
were the only game on the salt......so for 30 years we raced with them.............

Question authority.....always

Offline Freud

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 08:36:32 PM »
DEB, I Love Both of You.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 08:44:42 PM »
Personally I'd like to see all this jealous whining stop on Landracing about the performance of a gentleman who runs over 200 mph more than twenty weeks a year in his day job and address your complaints to Mr Bill Lattin, SCTA President who is EVENT DIRECTOR. His phone number is 907 800 6853.
He may be a little busy right now, however.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 12:01:15 AM »
IB  jealous whining my ACCURA --- thanks for the phone number it will be put to use
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 01:18:35 AM »
Sometimes in my professional career (not the racing one) I will show up at some sort of event and the hosts will openly give me some special treatment.  I never ask for it, do not expect it, and am sorta embarrassed by it.  What can I do?  I try to graciously accept it and behave in a gentlemanly manner.  This might be what happened here.  We need to put ourselves in Jason's shoes. He might be in an awkward situation not of his making.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2012, 02:07:48 AM »
Thanks Bo. That's the way I've been thinking and didn't really know how to put it. I think the first people to question are those that arranged his rookie procedure because it was them and not Jason who set out the procedure for him to follow. I'm sure he would have followed whatever was required and I doubt that it was him that was looking for special treatment. He's a racer and if he had to do more passes behind the wheel that would probably have been fine with him. We're all looking for ways to spend more time on the track.

Pete

PatMc

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2012, 09:49:26 AM »
Personally I'd like to see all this jealous whining stop on Landracing about the performance of a gentleman who runs over 200 mph more than twenty weeks a year in his day job and address your complaints to Mr Bill Lattin, SCTA President who is EVENT DIRECTOR. His phone number is 907 800 6853.
He may be a little busy right now, however.

Aw crud.  Stupid interwebbythingy ...

Could be a lot worse.  Folk who didn't show at rookie meetings in sledpulling or Solo2 have killed and injured people.  And you aren't hitting 60mph.  No need to even discuss desert or drags.

Please do not show up at any other motorsports other than LSR with a helmet please.  We don't need your kind of attitude.  You show up with a helmet, you go to the meetings.  Period.  If you don't like it, don't show up.

Jealous?  Do you honestly believe that?   If so, get help.  The number for a good shrink is 951 270-2667.

Offline Tman

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 10:24:44 AM »
Sometimes in my professional career (not the racing one) I will show up at some sort of event and the hosts will openly give me some special treatment.  I never ask for it, do not expect it, and am sorta embarrassed by it.  What can I do?  I try to graciously accept it and behave in a gentlemanly manner.  This might be what happened here.  We need to put ourselves in Jason's shoes. He might be in an awkward situation not of his making.

You know, that is a good angle to look at. I KNOW it has happened to me in other settings. One time I got to play with some prototype stuff before the 400 or so folks that actually WORKED AT THE COMPANY. I drew some looks as a total outsider to many as I toured the facility then got to play with the stuff they were all waiting for. Special treatment for sure.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »
This is supposed to be a NON-PROFIT endevor--  for profit is different---I know, I know we are sorta a Hybrid---what scares me long run is the times are changing and some do not recognise there will be a time when someone will have to raise their hand  and take an oath---if what they say---well these are our rules and everyone no matter who has to abide by them----the good old boy system has different rules leagally than for profit!! :cry:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2012, 10:43:08 AM »
The rules state (in CAPS) ALL NEW DRIVERS SHALL ATTEND A ROOKIE ORIENTATION MEETING PRIOR TO THEIR FIRST COMPETITION RUN. I didn't hear where he did that.

Rules is rules and should apply to ALL.

If he makes over 1000, 200+ runs a year  he darn well knows how to read a tach to know how fast he was going

If only being close counts, makes me wonder why my 174.344 wasn't good enough for  long course and license.

I agree with WW, maybe he was only doing as he was told or allowed to do and puts him in awkward position. Problem is, shouldn't have been allowed.
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »
Nobody here, including myself, know the facts. Jason wasn't at orientation. Did he get it elsewhere and the SCTA deemed it was acceptable? He exceeded the speed limit. Well, that never happened before and he got preferred treatment. Well, I know thats not true...I've seen the same thing before. He didn't have to start licensing at 150...again, I believe that has been waived for other experienced drivers. Jason has commitments to his Pro Stock team and Sponsors, he needs to prepare jis cars and is at Brainerd for this weeks race. Schedule was tight for him to squeeze in Bonneville.

An experienced drive showed up with a Very Experienced Crew, A well prepared and Funded Car and did well. What do you expect? Well, "He didn't Deserve it, or Didn't work hard enough for it". That sounds like sour grapes. Many LSR folks build every part of their car, for love or cost. Many do not. Gearge Poteet is one of my heros, as is Jack Costello. Gerorge does 2 things, he Drives and Writes checks. He does both well. So, does George Deserve it? We know Jack does. There are many LSR racers who have cars built, motors built, etc. Where do you draw the line?

I built my car from a pile of tubing. Do I feel like the guy next to me is less a racer than me because he bought everything? Yes, I mean No..at least I try not to. It does give me a little more satisfaction when I whoop them. I feel some of the pain, LSR has changed and not all for the good. There are now million dollar tow rigs and corporate interest. But the salt can be the great equalizer. Look at the records this week. Lots of low buck racers. Kudos to them! I feel the same way about the Heritage Drags. It's gone the wrong direction. But I have no control over that, just run my class and have fun. I will probably build a LSR car because I enjoy the racing and folks so much. I had to chime in as this is the first thread here I found here that is so negative and tearing people (Jason, Jessel, SCTA officials) apart without 1. Knowing the facts 2. Them being aware and even having the opportunity to defend themselves. I hope you guys don't continue to go to the dark side.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2012, 12:49:49 PM »
Sparky -

Did you get ahold of Bill Lattin?  I would like to hear their side of the story.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: