Author Topic: Rookie rules don't apply to all?  (Read 42356 times)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: Rookie rules don't apply to all?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 09:24:53 AM »
Just for the record, I talked to Jason personally out side Montego Bay on Sat night. He said he had no reference to how fast he was going and ended up going 191 on his 175 pass. He told me that he got a talking to from the SCTA official. Again, Jaosn brought that topic up to me and he was a good sport about it. He had to go back and run the 175 pass over. So the rules applied to Jason Line as well.

I also saw a veteran run on course two instead of being between the two black markers he was to the left between the black marker to the right and the orange cone to his left...which is technically the emergency lane on course two. You could hear the engine winding out the whole way so it was a full pass down the E Lane. I am sure he got a talking to as well.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

PatMc

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 09:36:57 AM »
nevermind.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:01:49 AM by PatMc »

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 10:05:28 AM »
Just for the record, I talked to Jason personally out side Montego Bay on Sat night. He said he had no reference to how fast he was going and ended up going 191 on his 175 pass. He told me that he got a talking to from the SCTA official. Again, Jaosn brought that topic up to me and he was a good sport about it. He had to go back and run the 175 pass over. So the rules applied to Jason Line as well.

Bill

sorry Bill, not according to his blog on nhra...
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »
The only thing it seems that the SCTA gave Jason, was permission to run 175 on his first run. So considering that the normal penalty for running over 175 is to redo that license pass, which he did at 174?  So then he went 214 with permission from the SCTA. Then he went 230+ to back up the record.

Seems like he was appropriately penalized for exceeding 175. Does not seem like any blame should lay on him but only the SCTA if you feel they did wrong in allowing him to skip some of the licensing requirements.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 11:35:01 AM »
"He said he had no reference to how fast he was going and ended up"  again documenting things were not done corectly   

Buick Subaru  I don't buy that---

What the in the world are Tachs and "dream charts" for-- he may be a Pro in Drag racing--but he sure as Heck wan't a properly prepared Salt ROOKIE is LSr--

what in the heck are Rookie procedures and rules for-- shame on the people on his team as well as any SCTA officia (?s)l that sanctioned it--- that let him get away with it--puts him and any SPONSORS associated with the effort in a bad light in my opinion

I salute SCTA & especially  Nathan and his efforts to tighten up the rookie procedures--

There is a reason rookies now have a sponsor system at El M. ---this is the kind of stuff that made it necessary---some  dissed our sport either intenionally or on pourpose---

I may be speaking more direct than SS#1 but my hat is off to him for having the courage to speak up and bring it to our attention---the sport will benefit in the long run if more speak out against "blatant rules happenings" the rest of us deserve no less---stuff like this needs to be gotten to the bottom of and CORRECTED
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »
Well, extending the complaints a little:

(pic from 2012 pics on scta website)

Is that a legal air dam (covers lower radiator opening; appears to be one-piece and not "attached" to the stock bumper [4.CC.1] which has to be retained [5.D.3])?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Tman

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 12:07:28 PM »
Well, extending the complaints a little:

(pic from 2012 pics on scta website)

Is that a legal air dam (covers lower radiator opening; appears to be one-piece and not "attached" to the stock bumper [4.CC.1] which has to be retained [5.D.3])?

Mike

There are a couple different models of noses for these trucks. One of our own board members found a limited edition that came with a swoopier nose.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 12:17:17 PM »
Speed Limit,

With all due respect, I know what I heard and there were three people with me that heard the same thing.

But to be truthful, it does not bother me one bit. Jason did what SCTA asked him to do for his "A" license and I did what SCTA asked me to do for my "A" license.

I think the SCTA is one of the greatest and best run sanctioning bodies in all of motorsports...and they are all volunteers. Whatever decision SCTA makes...even if I happen to disagree, I support them 100%. Remember without those wonderful volunteers there is no speedweek.

Wayne is a great supporter of our sport and if his guy Jason got a record & hat on is first attempt on the salt then that is fanstastic. Congrats Wayne and Jason.

There is so much positiive about the SCTA, the volunteers and our sport, I ask why put any effort into fanning the flame of what might, by some, to be considered a negative?

Bill

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »
Wheeler Dealer --I will assure you that reputation you refered to didn't come from rewarding this type of behavior or your attitude toward it-- IMO one would think NASCAR was taking care of sponsors and/or favorites 
Bill just keep bring to light more excusses and justifications--- so far you have scored more for the DA than you have for the defendant
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »
Sparky:

I can see the passion you have for the subject matter by your words. I respect that.

Bill

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 03:32:05 PM »
Bill, You are right---I cherish my hats and what they mean to most in motor sports world, and I want that to remain.  Untill now we knew what virtually everyone who wears one of those hats has done, exactly the same thing as they worked their way up the lisc chain to earn the right to make a pass on a record, not some short cut due to favors or turning ones head! 

Well we can know longer say that. I for one will remember how Jason got his, through special rulings, and/or turing a blind eye by officials for whatever reasons. t

(removed by Sparky because---I do not wish to ujustly diminish any stigma that could be possibily be attributed to HJF)

Dodge sure not the same as, Andy Green and JCB. To my knowledge they went out of their way to respect all the procedures and traditions. 

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 05:56:20 PM by SPARKY »

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 03:41:42 PM »
Sparky ... we all resent the privileged getting special treatment but I am not sure it is in the same catagory of the that evil bitch Hanoi Jane.

Joe

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »
Well, okay, if there was a problem, it had to swing on the decision of a person or group of persons. 

So who dropped the ball?

Has a challenge to the record been filed?  I understand that there is a procedure for that, and one of the reasons it's there is to maintain the integrity of the rules.

Sparky, Stainless, I agree with the principals you spell out, but before I'm willing to buy into the argument of favoritism, I'd like to see a more thorough airing of the facts, and a check of the paper trail.

Somebody had to sign off.

I'm hearing the accusers - I'm not hearing from the accused - in this case, the SCTA officials involved.  A challenge to the record would shed light on the issue.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 05:26:06 PM »
Jason is not the first racer to exceed the posted speed limit on his license pass and certainly won't be the last. Amir got the same slap on the wrist when he exceeded 300 MPH (by a bunch) on his AA pass.

So, just saying, How many passes have the most experienced LSR racers made at Bonneville? Jason has taken a 210 mph low downforce Pro Stock down the track probably well over 1000 times, including crashing one on a bad track when he was a rookie. He is a hard worker who worked his way up earning championships before he ever got the chance to drive as a pro. Got the upmost respect for the man and he remains humble through it all. Just my 2 cents.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 05:38:21 PM »
Who cares what Jason has done on the drag strip. That has nothing to do with us/SCTA. We all had to do our licensing runs according to our rules. Experience in other venues is supposed to mean nothing, the salt is unique. I am as offended as anyone.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing