Author Topic: Rookie rules don't apply to all?  (Read 42348 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Rookie rules don't apply to all?
« on: August 12, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »
I spent till about noon with Porkpie in the rookie orientation course taught by Nathan Stewart, very thorough, covered everything under the sun.... no pun intended.  Good Job Nate.

Then we went back to get the car for a shakedown pass... couldn't believe my ears when Glen announced that the drag racer that was a salt rookie just made a 191 mph pass... I guess pro stock fame gets you a pass on the licensing requirements not to mention a pass on rookie orientation.  So I guess you don't have all that wear and tear on your race vehicle if your driver is famous enough.  Didn't work for Don Gartlits... didn't work for Andy Green.... Maybe their schedule allowed the scta to maintain its organizational integrity and the pro stock guy is just too busy for all that rule stuff.

yep... calling bull shit
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline bobbya312

• New folks
Re: Rookie rules don't apply to all?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 08:58:31 AM »
gotta have a name

gkabbt

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 09:31:38 AM »
Jason Line driving the Jesel Dodge A/MP truck?  ???

Offline CGoodson

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 09:38:10 AM »
Why did I have to do all the rookie requirement's my rookie year. Oh yea because I'm not a big time drag racer.
Corey Goodson
cgr138@gmail.com
hptt:www.facebook.com/corey.goodson
1000 Bockscar Lakester H/BFL Red Hat record 233.119
Currently Building #1177 G&S Roadster H/BFR

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »
I would not rush to judgement until all the facts are in. Is it possible that the race officials after seeing or hearing of this run...went to this team ?  They could scold the driver, disallow that run and make him start over at license passes etc??  Just because he went to fast on his first pass does not mean the SCTA allowed this..

Just my 2 cents,,,

Wish I was there...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 12:42:11 PM »
Jason was cleared by SCTA to start licensing from 175
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 01:00:57 PM »
Jason went 171 on his 175 license pass, then he went 194 on his 200 pass..(This is what I understand )

So it seems he did do his rookie license passes per what the SCTA told him.

All is good, I also heard what I think was a 217.xxx? qualifying pass an hour or so ago. !!!

Go Jason and Team Jesel...

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 12:11:44 AM »
From what I saw, he went 194 out of the gate.  Maybe I missed the first run, but I don't think I did. :cheers:

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 09:58:41 PM »
4449    A         MP         Jesel Landspeed Team    

171.423    167.588    169.103    169.103    

Then

4449    A         MP         Jesel Landspeed Team    

194.774    182.820    190.655    190.655
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 10:17:16 PM »
I guess the run logs remove all doubt?

OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 08:21:20 AM »
Yep that means he didn't need to attend rookie orientation so he could be making passes early in the morning while the rookies that were following the rules were still in the meeting.... still special treatment, still a problem with organizational integrity.... everyone should have to follow the rules or no one should have to follow the rules... Maybe the rules for rookies should be optional... seems to be the case here.  Just smacks real Bonneville racers in the face... if you follow the rules you end up in the back of the line... while the famous one and done types get special treatment...
I must have missed the line in the rule book that said drag racers with lots of cash get a pass...
still calling bullshit
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 08:33:37 AM »

Yea, when you make it to Bonneville ask them to let you skip all the silly rookie stuff and start at 175 since you run faster than that on the pavement with the ECTA.... see how far that gets you... as I remember for several years they made the ECTA bike riders run double rookie passes... ask Todd and Deb.
It is a safety rule... no one should get a pass on a safety rule... otherwise the racing organization loses its integrity.... next guy can just say well it was OK for him, why not for me
Stainless

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 12:48:30 PM »

Yea, when you make it to Bonneville ask them to let you skip all the silly rookie stuff and start at 175 since you run faster than that on the pavement with the ECTA.... see how far that gets you... as I remember for several years they made the ECTA bike riders run double rookie passes... ask Todd and Deb.
It is a safety rule... no one should get a pass on a safety rule... otherwise the racing organization loses its integrity.... next guy can just say well it was OK for him, why not for me

My replies where only to clarify the comments about the 194 being his first run. I have made no comments on the part about the rookie treatment or meetings..
ONLY about the sequence of his runs (verified by the run logs)..

So NOW, don't jump my sh!t..LOL

I for one fully expect to be TREATED as a ROOKIE when I get there.  I look forward to the Rookie meetings and touring the courses and hearing from all the Salty veterans.. I also expect to make all the required License Runs, 150, 175, 200  etc... I also plan to make certain that I am comfortable before I go fast..(bad things can happen when you "think" you know what you are doing before you "know" you know what you are doing...

The Rookie Procedures are there TO HELP US..

I for one appreciate the process and to this day go to the rookie meetings at the begining of each SEASON at both ECTA and LTA even as I am not required to.. it helps refresh after the long winter off season.

Enough rant..
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 11:22:31 PM »

Well one misconception is that the 171 run was his... it was not according to his own nhra blog

After completing his first licensing pass on Saturday, Line returned to the salt on Sunday for his second run, recording an average speed of 214 mph after being instructed by Southern California Timing Association (SCTA) officials not to exceed 215 on this final licensing attempt. As this eclipsed the previous class mark, under the rules of the event, the truck was then impounded, setting the stage for Monday’s monster run. Although everything went mostly according to plan throughout the entire weekend, Line did experience a slight hiccup during his maiden pass.

“On my first licensing run, I wasn’t supposed to go over 175 mph,” explained Line. “Unfortunately, the combination of our calculations being a bit off and my being a couple hundred rpms over what I was supposed to run resulted in my being 20 mph too fast, for which I justifiably got my hand slapped by the SCTA. After all, they just want everyone to be safe, which I certainly appreciate. My intent was certainly not to violate any rules, especially being my first time there, and I consider it a lesson learned.

“Looking back at the experience, my goals going into the weekend were to not do anything stupid, to have fun, to get in the 200-mph Club, and to help Wayne set a record with his truck, and we were able to accomplish all of them without any damage to the equipment and without any incidents other than my speeding ticket. On top of that, some of my KB Racing teammates came out to watch me run, so it just turned out to be a good time.

So he made his first pass at 194 as stated above... guess it is nice to get special treatment, most would be sent back to rookie orientation and have to sit out a day... but now that the nhra racing world knows you can do 175 or 194 (what's the difference) on your first pass and 215 on your second, maybe we will get a bunch more "big time drag racers" out for their 3 passes to make the 2 club.. lucky us

Sour grapes.... nope, I only question the integrity of the rules for the organization that knowingly allows it to happen.   
Welcome to the 2 club Jason, don't forget to pay your dues to keep your membership in good standing  :roll:
 :cheers:

Stainless

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 08:55:13 AM »
SS#1  Spot on -- this is way out of line---definitely slaps the "traditions" of the past around should have taken:
#1 pass--under 150 take starter signed timing slip to get the  D lisc
#2 pass--under 174  " """ for a C
#3 pass--under 200  " " " " " "  B
#4 pass--  214  go to impound and take your signed slip by the lisc trailer for a A lisc.
#5 pass-- backup pass go to impound for certification

sounds like he was two passes to short to me

This is the other side of what I wrote my other post about but it addresses the same issue PERSONALITIES:

--people who interject their personal feeling into their decisions and actions in reguard to the rules--they use their power and influnces for the benefit or detriment various racers.

one is not suppose to be able to make pass without the proper lisc.

prior pass time slip signed by the starter, taken to the lisc. trailer for the issance of the next level lisc.  Thats what I had to do in 01 what my buddys had to in 09

By all documentation--this was not done by the rules--there have been hats denied and taken back for a lot less--as a 2 club member "I feel" --------  sour grapes --not really in my opinion---but definitely not in the intrest of maintaing or reputation of everone got it the same way NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE---I feel violated on behalf of my cherised club---Sorry Jason You didn't earn it like the rest of us--  YOU just got it!!
 you didn't earn it in my opinion---those in power who let it happen--- SHAME ON YOU!!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:18:07 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!