Author Topic: Head and neck restraint for streamliner  (Read 11650 times)

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
Head and neck restraint for streamliner
« on: August 10, 2012, 11:33:42 PM »
I know most of the gearheads are out at Bonneville now but I am working away trying to make it to WOS......

I purchased a NexGen Head and neck restraint because I thought it would work in both my GT Car and Streamliner because of the adjustable 10-40 degree layback. What I found was in my liner (not as layed back as some) with this unit on, my helmet does not go on all the way it hits the supports (chest)on the NexGen. So I have a d-cell (brand new never used) but dated 2004 that will work but of course when I called Safety solutions they do not re-cerify the D-cell.

What do most guys use for steamliners where you are almost laying down? My chin is pretty much in my chest already.......

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Looked at Hans, Simpson and DJ's website but didnt find anything that lookd like it would work.
Burton
"Live every day like its your last....some day it will be"

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Head and neck restraint for streamliner
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 08:48:09 AM »
recert is not required by the scta or usfra... read the rule book.... don't read things into it.  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 09:22:34 AM »
So the D-cell that I have (hutchins device) was not SFI 38.1. It is brand new, guys use them in stock car racing. I bought it new but never used it.

Anyway I think I need something like it with the straps that go around your body and then hook to the helmet rather than something that goes over your chest (under seat belts).

Is there a type that most people use in liners that they are more laid back in? I would assume others have the same problem I am having......

Offline Jon

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 03:06:13 PM »
I bought a Simpson Pro Rage for my bike after asking around on here.
For the reasons you said and because it has nothing sticking up to catch when getting out.

I haven't used it yet.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 07:52:27 PM »
Let me know what your thoughts are after you use it.....If anyone else wants to chime in that would be great...I am listening to the live feed .........making me want to be there more.....

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 10:05:57 PM »
I use a Safety Solutions Pro Rage...it is now owned by Simpson.. Very good unit..I only have a 20 degree layback seat but as a big guy..I can tell you this device is easy on getting in and out of the car. Streamliners are much more confined and It sure looks like this devisee would be a very good choice.

Charles
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 10:08:14 PM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 10:15:58 PM »
Thanks Charles...

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 01:27:39 AM »
Necks gen was the smallest restraint and the only one that would fit in my 'liner

http://www.necksgen.com/index.html

kent

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 08:23:26 AM »
I  also decided to use the Hybrid Pro now owned by Simpson  I bought the (I think) mid range chest size and use an extender-- because we plan on having it available to several different size drivers  I have used in Higginbothams car---was a B____ getting out at 6'3 245# ---cage was designed to restrain helment 10 years before the Hans type devices were invented.  My new car was designed after and it is MUCH easier to get in and out of due to size opening of the rollcage frt hoop.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:32:22 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 12:12:34 PM »
recert is not required by the scta or usfra... read the rule book.... don't read things into it.  :-D

SFI 38.1 now requires a 5 year re-cert effective Jan 1 2012.  I mentioned this elsewhere before.  I'd expect to see this in the rule book soon.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »
FWIW we originally started with an SS R3 Rage for our lakester that had been "modified" to apparently stay in the car.  It had a receiver "pad" that was mounted to the seat and the hard back piece velcro'd into it.  I guess you could either rip yourself out of the velco and leave the device on or you could unstrap it and come out of the car without it.  This configuration wound up pushing the driver forward some and it overall just didn't "feel right".  We wound up using a regular ol' HANS with no problems.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 02:48:08 PM »
I noticed the other day that HANS has just come out with an adjustable angle device. This might be worth investigating for those who so far haven't been able to find something that works for them.

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 03:19:15 PM »
I watched Wayno go through tech with the new DJ unit. Looks like the easiest to use as far as flexibility.

Offline pofg

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 08:41:47 AM »
I reckon my Streamliner is one of the tightest and I've got a great fit with a HANS.

But given I've had a couple of buddies who walked away from crashes because they were wearing one, I won't get into any sort of race car without one... so I make it work whether I'm in a Le Mans car, saloon or the Streamliner. And I'm afraid I'm HUGELY sceptical of the home made "trussed up like a turkey" devices I see on the Salt.
You'd get laughed out of the paddock if you rocked up with one of those to a European race meeting and given the huge amount of money HANS/Mercedes/Formula 1 put into the HANS I just can't see how the rival stuff has been developed to the same degree.

IMHO of course.

Rick

#1133 Flower of Scotland
Grazing the Gravel Trap of Insanity.

#1133 Flower of Scotland.

Offline Tman

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 10:34:28 AM »
Rick, which HANS are you using? I ask of course since my lakester has about the identical position as your liner.