Author Topic: Official Speed Week 2012 photo/news thread  (Read 438662 times)

Offline Rick Byrnes

Re: Official Speed Week 2012 photo/news thread
« Reply #435 on: August 17, 2012, 06:08:06 PM »
Hey thats my old firesuit PorkPie is wearing.
KOOL
Hope you had fun PP
Of course you did.  Sorry you were just short of the "Red" hat.
Rick

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #436 on: August 17, 2012, 06:33:48 PM »
Pork Pie wins!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Tman

« Reply #437 on: August 17, 2012, 06:48:40 PM »

Offline Bobby c

« Reply #438 on: August 17, 2012, 10:10:52 PM »
Does anyone know if Rex get a record???? If yes how fast???

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #439 on: August 17, 2012, 10:23:34 PM »
Way to go, PP!  Major congrats!

@Bob Drury:  I feel yer pain.  I didn't experience the same disasters, but I had 1 camera (the main one, Canon 7D) break its shutter (about $300) and the newest of my lenses totally crapped out.  You have my empathy and commiseration.

Gabe Carillo wanted to say "Hi" to everybody, so here he is saying, "hi."  Or maybe he's snarling it.  :)

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #440 on: August 18, 2012, 01:45:54 AM »
Hey thats my old firesuit PorkPie is wearing.
KOOL
Hope you had fun PP
Of course you did.  Sorry you were just short of the "Red" hat.

Rick,

No RICK, that is YOUR suit he is wearing. You have contributed to the record by Pork Pie more than you knew. Hope you didn't mind that Pork Pie "Borrowed" your suit from the "borrower"....   I didn't even know until I saw that picture. The fire suit was stored with the rest and it must have fit the last minute decision to have Pork Pie drive.

Jon

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #441 on: August 18, 2012, 02:04:48 AM »
A few more random shots of speedweek for you all to enjoy.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #442 on: August 18, 2012, 10:12:39 AM »
A few more random shots.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #443 on: August 18, 2012, 11:00:54 AM »
A couple more of cars at speed and the critical moment when the 5656 car spun as the chute popped out of the pack.
Note that the left rear wheel is about 6-8 inches off the salt, the car was very close to digging in on the right front corner and rolling, when he got the laundry out.

Larry

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 11:24:52 AM by hotrod »

Offline Tman

« Reply #444 on: August 18, 2012, 11:19:04 AM »
Do any of you photogs have shots of the Maro Spcl when it veered right? I didnt see it, I was hooking up the towstrap after a run at the top end when he came sliding to a stop right next to us!!!! :-o

I also have a rookie question regarding that. We were close enough we COULD have responded first. But, we saw Bobby starting to get out and no smoke. The safety folks were there in a couple seconds, about the time we figured out what was going on. At that point I told the crew to load up so we could get out of the way.

If we hadn't seen safety arriving we would have ran over. Did we do the right thing though?

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #445 on: August 18, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »
Any info on Rod Nestman's HVAC Express D/BMMP? Saw he set a 188.xxx record on the short course, now his runs and record are off the website. Problem with displacement or fuel after the record? Was hoping he would finally get it onto the long course. Thanks.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #446 on: August 18, 2012, 02:31:47 PM »
Ditto for the #895 RPM Racing Honda.  Initially, the website listed it as bumping the G/BGC record up to 203-something, but it's no longer listed, either.

------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline don

« Reply #447 on: August 18, 2012, 03:38:11 PM »
9602 HVAC express made it to the long course last year running in D/P/MP he ran a 177+ last year
The engine lost power last year after the 3 mile mark on about the 4th run lost a rod bearing.
This year he was running D/BMMP still running the six cylinder.
Best was 191.6 mph
After setting the record we decided to run it to the 4 mile mark and burnt a piston around the 3.5 mile.
No issues with fuel or displacement.

Offline SwampRat33

• New folks
« Reply #448 on: August 18, 2012, 05:26:29 PM »
Am I the only person who wonders why it took SCTA days to post run and record info this year?  In years past there was also a complete list of entry's...not this year!
Please don't tell me all about how everyone is a volunteer. There is a person listed as the SCTA web site guru, I would think with no other responsibilties. In 21st Century info like this should be posted withing hours, not days.

Rant over...

A huge thank you to Ray the Rat and Landracing for all that you do in such a timely manner.

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #449 on: August 18, 2012, 06:03:43 PM »
Just wanted to add a little note here about Wasted Willie's final run..... I SWEAR this is gonna be a true story (I have a witness!!)

Willie's last run was Thursday and by all the miracles of the salt, I got the opportunity to ride in the push truck (my first) to start him on his way.  While the crew was preparing to push the car back to the push truck, a bird (yup, bird, you know 2 feet, 1 beak, beady eyes, wings) landed on the cab of the push truck.  I was surprised by his arrival and made a comment to the crew member standing next to me about the bird landing on the truck.  As the bird sat there watching what was going on, I asked him if he was there to help Willie fly Home and got some single eye looks from the bird, first the left eye and then the right.  After sitting there for a couple of minutes, he hopped down to the windshield wiper and looked in at the photographs that were on the dash, turned and looked at us and the race car and then flew away!  Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but that sure was an odd thing to have happen at that particular time, especially since there were a LOT of cars in the staging lines at that time. So, I have decided that while we were feeling the sadness from the loss of Willie, the Salt Gods sent a guide to help him on his way to race across the sky and watch over us while we're on the salt.

I will always remember my first ride in a push truck, my first ride down the return road, and the first personal loss my Girls have had to deal with when Willie passed away.  But the thing I will remember the most is....the little bird that came to help Willie fly.

Speedweek was the best ever!!!  All of you were fantastic and patient with the looooong lines that we moved as fast as possible!  Kudos to all of you for making my job so easy at Land's End!!!
By the way, the flowers Jim was holding at Land's End were for me, he was waiting for me to finish helping a spectator before he gave them to me!  Also, I was deeply touched by the French Team when they stopped to say goodbye Friday morning.  They surprised me with a beautiful bouquet of yellow roses as a token of their friendship.  There have been so many heartfelt moments this year, I can't thank all of you enough for sharing your dreams with me.  So, all I know how to say is, "Thank you all from the bottom of my heart and Love you all!"

Stay Safe

Lynda

Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!