Author Topic: Official Speed Week 2012 photo/news thread  (Read 438553 times)

Offline Woodstock

Re: Official Speed Week 2012 photo/news thread
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2012, 11:15:17 PM »
DND, well put.  You can't explain what the feeling is til you have experiecned it first hand.  Remember arriving in the early am in impound to check and recheck the truck to get it in line first thing in the morning and seeing that sunrise....  Then missing the backup run and starting all over for the day to get in impound again to do it all over again.  Then the sunset before you leave for the next day of racing... Bonneville, the special people and the history that you see and meet is someting you remember forever and keeps bringing you back for more.  It's an addiction... :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2012, 01:37:19 AM »
Has anyone seen the bike racers from from GB?  There should be six or eight in a group.  I hope Nancy is OK.   

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2012, 08:17:57 AM »
havent seen one speed posted, does anyone know a site that might have posted some speeds..?

i need to be patient and watch scta site..

Yea Joe, I was looking for speeds this morning... nothing on scta site or this one.... patience must be one of the virtues I am missing as well....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2012, 10:26:45 AM »
A quick note: when I left the salt at 7 pm last nite, I hadn't heard anything about Nancy's condition. 

This morning I've been involved with a photo shoot of the Target 550 liner. I'll have some shots posted later.

As soon as I find out more about anything, I'll post it.

A quickie about speeds, runs, records, etc.  SSS and Nancy have generally done that.  I can't shoot photos, edit and post 'em and monitor the radios at the same time.  I'll try to find out about record returns this morning and list what I can.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »
From Slim:

Nancy's got a fractured clavicle and a couple of cracked ribs.  She'll be wearing a brace/sling and taking pain pills, and we'll leave here and go back to Wendover in an hour or two.

Thanks.  I was going to post to the Forum about her - can't make things work.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2012, 11:22:28 AM »
Bob Clancey, web guru, posted a link to the webcast on the Landracing.com homepage.

http://meridix.com/everywhere.php?liveid=landracing

Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2012, 11:45:52 AM »
Glad...VERY glad to hear that Nancy's injuries, while no fun at all, aren't any more serious.  With the cracked ribs, I thin the pain pills are a very good idea.

I wish I'd been able to post a shot of her on the bike before that unpleasantness.  :(

Jon & Nancy, a lotta people (Jack Costella, Freud, many others...) have asked me to convey good wishes to both of you.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2012, 12:02:07 PM »
You folks are the best.  I can't look at these posts without misting up, but I'll try to let you know the latest - which is all pretty good.

Nancy spun up the motor a bit too much and the clutch grabbed - making the bike fishtail and right then left then high-side her away from it.  She landed about five-six feet away from it -- didn't get tagged by it at all -- but she came down on her right shoulder.  A fractured clavicle and broken ribs and that's all of the injuries - not that that isn't enough.  So - -

She spent the night in the Emergency Care unit at Univ. Hosp. and is waiting for the last of the docs and PAs and nurses and everyone to visit to say she's okay for a ride back to Wendover.  We're expecting she'll be sprung from here by noon, maybe sooner, and then we'll hit the road.  It's 10AM right now.

I guess we'll be wise to say there won't be a Salt Talks tonight.  Yes, I could run one with all of the volunteer help, but right now my heart isn't where it needs to be to have the blast that we so much enjoy.  We've got the Salt Talks shirts all ready and will dig 'em out and have them at the pit - probably starting tomorrow.  And now for sure we'll plan to have a Salt Talks land speed racer gathering at World of Speed this year.

Final silly note:  The battery on my phone is pretty far down and the charger is in the motel in Wendover, so if you're calling and leaving messages -- now you know why I haven't returned them.  Who knew that we should take the charger when we left the room yesterday morning?

Thanks once again, folks.  No question -- you ARE the BEST!!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2012, 12:07:12 PM »
This is the best news from Speed Week.  Here is to a speedy recovery!   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2012, 12:21:08 PM »
Nancy spun up the motor a bit too much and the clutch grabbed - making the bike fishtail and right then left then high-side her away from it.  She landed about five-six feet away from it -- didn't get tagged by it at all -- but she came down on her right shoulder.  A fractured clavicle and broken ribs and that's all of the injuries - not that that isn't enough.  So - -

She spent the night in the Emergency Care unit at Univ. Hosp. and is waiting for the last of the docs and PAs and nurses and everyone to visit to say she's okay for a ride back to Wendover.  We're expecting she'll be sprung from here by noon, maybe sooner, and then we'll hit the road. 

Nancy, wishing you well and a speedy recovery from afar. Jon & Nancy et al, thanks for all you do for the website and the folks with Salt Fever. Hoping you bounce back from this experience even tougher and stronger. Take 'er easy. Cheers, Jim

Offline sabat

« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »
Happy to hear that she is not too seriously injured, whew. best, Dean

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2012, 12:38:04 PM »
What a relief; very good news. Best wished for a comfortable and speedy recovery.
Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline JoeRider677

• FOIL HAT RACING - BIKES BUILT BETTER
    • Bikes Built Better
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2012, 12:43:14 PM »
Sorry to hear about Nancy getting injured, at least they are injuries that one can heal up from. Ribs are an annoying injury, quick recovery Nancy
Foil Hat Racing
Bikes Built Better
SCTA Records 2011   ECTA 2013
MPS-BG   120.507     M-BF 140.507    
MPS-BF   141.236      M-BG 146.19
M-BG      118.674      MPS-BG 165.01
M-BF      132.905       MPS-BF 170.32
LTA 2013
1 mile - MPS-BG 174.341
1.5 Mile-MPS-BG 184.09
ECTA 2014
M-BG 155.38
M-BF 149.00
MPS-BG 175.57
MPS-BF 185.33
SCTA 2014
---
---
---
---
How hard do you practice when no one is watching

Offline joea

« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »
Glad Nancy is on the mend..!!

there may be a fair amt of rest and sitting etc over the next many days, that combined with the
pain meds slowing down the GI tract, so make sure she continues plenty of hydration and fiber...so
as to avoid other unwanted discomforts..

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2012, 12:59:38 PM »
Slim, So glad to hear Nancy's injuries will heal. You guys are the best and it shows in your Website that brings out the best folks in Land Speed Racing. Hope Nancy heals fast and gets back to record attempts.