Author Topic: Official Speed Week 2012 photo/news thread  (Read 438161 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Re: Official Speed Week 2012 photo/news thread
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 11:08:03 AM »
I'm glad to hear that my photos are being enjoyed.  Beats the h*ll outta just shoot a buncha stuff, puttin it into an album and puttin it on the shelf.  The camera seems to be back in working order after cleaning the lens contacts with a rough cloth.  Thanks for your photos, TC.  Great stuff.  I wanted to get a shot of that silver Deuce, but never caught it standing still.

Next.  Weather report.  Last nite, where I was camping (up on the side of the mountain above the Bend in the Road...I'll have to find another spot...what used to be nice and secluded is now overpopulated and noisy) it rained like crazy, including a lotta wind and lightning.  Land's End Lynda tells me that her security crew was...uhhh...scared to sh*tless, especially since one of the young ladies on the crew is now known as "Sparky" after being struck by lightning a coupla years ago.  (Holy Sh*t!!!  And she's still comin back to work with Lynda and her gang!  That's guts!  Big time!   :cheers: )

Anyway, the rain missed the salt.  Right now (8:30 ayem) it's about 85, overcast with a slight breeze.  Wunderground sez it's 26% humid, RtR's "weather finger" sez it's closer to 40%.  Radar shows that the cell has passed to the east and has once again left this beautiful salt in great shape.  A few soft spots are developing on the access road from Land's End to the pits, but not bad at all.

The local constabulary was visiting at Land's End this morning, which meant they weren't writing tickets.  Last nite there was a cruiser lurking onI-80, just west of the port of entry station.  As Mama used to say, "a word to the wise is sufficient."   

The Treit & Davenport (Target 550) area was a little wind-blown, so some elf-dude sneaked in and moved stuff around a bit, sorta like he does with the website.  LOL!   :-D

Off to shoot more photos. The Salt Cat team just pulled in with their Airstream transport trailer and a Buick-powered lakester in it.  I better go check it out.

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 11:54:44 AM »
Ray, Thanks for the updates. We are just about ready to load up and drive. I pray the salt stays good as it looks in your pic's and reports.
 Next year I hope to run Speed Week and BUB. For this year it's BUB only, hope to see ya there. :cheers:
 Peg Leg Craig

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 12:37:33 PM »
Here are some photos from yesterday of the Daytona Charger named "The Twilite Zone" and Jerry Klawitter's 1300cc "Pflugerville Special" motorcycle streamliner:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 01:28:19 PM »
A few more from this morning:

The snarling, spitting and hissing Salt Cat is led out of its cage,

The Trojan Thunder lakester was towed right in front of my lo9cation in the pits and

There's a little 170 inch slant 6 in that 1st generation Barracuda.

Offline Shanes824

• New folks
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 01:58:25 PM »
Hey Ray, I was wondering if you could post a pic of the 824 roadster? I am not there due to my being a single father of a 6 year old girl and the first day of school here in Colorado. Thank you for all you do!!!!! :cheers: :cheers:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 02:24:49 PM »
Hey Ray, I was wondering if you could post a pic of the 824 roadster? I am not there due to my being a single father of a 6 year old girl and the first day of school here in Colorado. Thank you for all you do!!!!! :cheers: :cheers:

I appreciate the good words and I'll try to help ya out, but there are about 600 cars/trucks in the pit area...and I'm not familiar with the 824 car.  A bit of a description would sure help me when I'm cruisin thru the pits, looking for stuff to shoot.

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 02:40:15 PM »
So I'm gonna start the official SW thread with some photos, since I'm here and I got some to post. ...

I'm gonna post this and continue it with a few more images and some observations about the salt.

Many thanks for the posts. I can't be there this year but I did just book vacation for next and plan to start and finish a 2 wheeled salt flat racer for SW2013. Please keep the pictures and reports of anything and all coming, they are greatly appreciated from afar.

Regards,

Jim

Offline thanks2frank

• New folks
    • thanks2frank
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 02:46:36 PM »
hope to see you tommorrow Ray!
doesnt have be be pretty, just has to go fast

Offline SteveM

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 03:05:05 PM »
Looks great on the salt. 

If you are taking requests as a photographer, I would love to see pics of the H/DT entry, the "Add Salt Machine" from Defiance, Ohio (truck# unknown).

Steve.

The photos you are posting are excellent!.  I have checked for updates about 20 times today, already, and look forward to checking more and more.   If the H/DT entry "Add Salt Machine" pops into your mind when you see it, please snap a pic.  I don't know the vehicle# or a make/model, but it was the only H/DT entry posted as a pre-registration.

Thanks again for your top-notch work.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline DND

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
A big Thanks to you Ray and the other photo guys that are posting the great pics, I was there 4 times in the 60's when it was pretty low key comparred to what the salt meets have grown into now.

Just one course then and maybe 60-80 cars & bikes, hard to believe the pits are a mile long.

I really enjoy seeing all the new different types on cars being built and run, looks like the salt has a pretty good supply of new racers to keep it going for a long time to come and that is just what LSR needs.

Thanks again guys, Don

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 03:35:18 PM »
Ray

Thanks for the updates, I have been stuck at the airport since 7am today, my first flight cancelled, then go on the later flight but had to go through Atlanta and then Chicago. Then about 5 minutes before I got on the Florida to Atlanta flight the Atlanta to Chicago got cancelled which would ahve left me stranded in Atlanta... So rather than spend the night in an airport. I leave tomorrow at 5:00am.

So I have enjoyed yours and Slim's updates and I too checked back often. I will be there tomorrow mid-day.

Thanks again and keep the photos comming.

Bill Reilly
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 04:57:28 PM »
The eagle has l;anded!

For the first time, the Treit & Davenport liner hits the salt. Photos speak for themselves.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 05:07:55 PM »
And a few more....

In the last photo: Jim Hume, Marlo Treit, Les Davenport and in the Hawaiian shirt, Doc Freud.

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »
Thanks for keeping us up to date Ray!
 It sure helps when there are those of us that can't make the pilgrimage.

Next year for sure...

Smitty  :cheers:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 05:35:52 PM »
Final weather report of the day:  Wind from h*ll, sprinkling rain, an nasty-lookin cloud formations.  If ya see a red Burb sailin past Kansas, well, you'll know I'm not there anymore.  :)

I don't think this is gonna affect the salt any, but it's slightly unpleasant at the moment.