Author Topic: Official Speed Week 2012 photo/news thread  (Read 438174 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: Official Speed Week 2012 photo/news thread
« Reply #480 on: August 22, 2012, 01:46:52 PM »

Our little crew of 7, running three cars, communications, impound and various other duties had to suck it up and try to make some kind of arrangements to do the daily results. Tough to be enthusiastic around 9 each evening after being on the salt at 5:30 AM. There were enough hard copies of records and qualifiers if only those who were missing them knew where to look.

DW

Dan,

Did you ever ask for Help? If so I never heard about it.  I never went into the Inspection or Impound area, but I was there for 3 days and would have helped out if I knew you were short handed.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline dw230

« Reply #481 on: August 22, 2012, 02:19:19 PM »
Tom,

When you turn around and everyone has left for the day ist tough to find help. Too many fingers would have spoiled the stew. Keith and Tom worked out a time durng the day to quickly enter the updates, new entries and class changes. The records were done as the the certs were done if not running or fixing. Posted results should not have hit the web until they had been reconciled, a disconnect there.

When Ed is on the salt I take all record certs to him in the BNI trailer and do the double check there. There is an office in not-so-much-Quality Inn where info can be obtained up to 12AM each night. We leave for the salt at 4:30-4:45 each morning.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Tman

« Reply #482 on: August 22, 2012, 02:31:30 PM »
Dan, thanks for all your hard work.  :cheers:

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #483 on: August 22, 2012, 03:06:25 PM »
Tom,

When you turn around and everyone has left for the day ist tough to find help. Too many fingers would have spoiled the stew. Keith and Tom worked out a time durng the day to quickly enter the updates, new entries and class changes. The records were done as the the certs were done if not running or fixing. Posted results should not have hit the web until they had been reconciled, a disconnect there.

When Ed is on the salt I take all record certs to him in the BNI trailer and do the double check there. There is an office in not-so-much-Quality Inn where info can be obtained up to 12AM each night. We leave for the salt at 4:30-4:45 each morning.

DW

Dan, i to would like to thank you and all the others that make this a special event. By the way, i missed seeing you this year. Perhaps next year. Mark.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #484 on: August 22, 2012, 03:09:40 PM »
Tom,

When you turn around and everyone has left for the day ist tough to find help. Too many fingers would have spoiled the stew.

DW

So what you are saying is more help would not have helped in this situation. My big fingers would have spoiled the stew.  :-o   Well my offer still stands, if I am there and you need help, just ask.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #485 on: August 22, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
  Tom, "spoiled the stew" is a great term but I think you could shorten it up to just "spoiled".
  With the advancement of the internet in the last few years, we all expect instant results and tend to pout when they don't happen.
  I am going to blame this whole thing on Jon Amo, and Nurse Jon Wennerberg, who ruined us two years ago with the live feeds from the Cook Shootout where it seemed like even the popsicle man was running over 300.
  Dan I am sure you are sick of myself and others saying this, but I at least plan on saluting you with a great Eulogy if you ever decide to keel over, and if that ever happens in my lifetime, The ensuing disaster and collapse of the SCTA is sure to follow right behind.  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #486 on: August 22, 2012, 05:02:29 PM »
Dan I am sure you are sick of myself and others saying this, but I at least plan on saluting you with a great Eulogy if you ever decide to keel over, and if that ever happens in my lifetime, The ensuing disaster and collapse of the SCTA is sure to follow right behind.  Bob

Hell, Electro Rent is still in business.  :mrgreen:

Ok, ok . . . DW is a living god, I admit it.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline GH

« Reply #487 on: August 22, 2012, 05:02:44 PM »
JD, I remember back when I was new on the Salt, you inspected my car out in the sun, not under the shade. I sure am glad I had the opportunity to mix with you guys, it was a great experiance that I will forever hold dear.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #488 on: August 22, 2012, 05:47:48 PM »
Bob is absolutely correct about people becoming spoiled in their expectations of results. I think it was great and you guys done good. Thank you very much from a stay at home.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #489 on: August 22, 2012, 07:20:30 PM »
The stay-at-home peanut gallery surely missed Ed's fine hand on the daily results, but family comes first.  I hope that his daughter is ok.

Even without Ed, the results (didn't they have a major computer (system) meltdown early in the week?) were faster than they would have been just a few years ago.  Well done to all!   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #490 on: August 22, 2012, 08:30:25 PM »
The stay-at-home peanut gallery surely missed Ed's fine hand on the daily results, but family comes first.  I hope that his daughter is ok.

Even without Ed, the results (didn't they have a major computer (system) meltdown early in the week?) were faster than they would have been just a few years ago.  Well done to all!   :cheers:

Mike

something about a lightning strike on one of the towers
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #491 on: August 22, 2012, 09:19:09 PM »
There was a lightning strike and it shut down the timing equipment and other computers for a short time.The key people brought them back on line. A good job by all.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dw230

« Reply #492 on: August 22, 2012, 10:59:27 PM »
The same key people who did the results, set three records and gained two red hats for team members.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Tman

« Reply #493 on: August 23, 2012, 12:11:13 AM »
We thank those KEY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were stalled out on course 3 for a ring gear dump and then that lightning. A LONG time. They deserve props for getting that stuff back running as fast as they did! That storm could have beeen much worse had it hit the pits...........................

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #494 on: August 23, 2012, 10:55:30 AM »
Many of you are still asking about Nancy, so here's the latest report:

We got home from Wenodver this past Monday about suppertime, with me having driven all of the 1,840 miles.  Here we are on Thursday morning and she's at home running the wood splitter and digging a few post holes so we can re-mount the mailbox.  She wanted to fluff the pillows on the bed, too, but I told her that was too strenuous and that she should instead mix up a few yards of concrete so she could finish the addition to the sidewalk.

Well, not really, but she is doing very well, thank you.  the local doctor says she'd be wise to wear the sling for another few days/weeks, but by the time we leave for WoS (Labor Day) I expect she'll be ready to take her turn driving - and all of the fun while we're on the road.  A few over-the-counter pain pills each day and that's all.  She's still limited in what she can do - for instance, I have proven that I am NOT a hairstylist.  You should have been there to see how I managed to get her hair into pony tails and such.  But on the other side of limited activity -- she still can't shampoo her own hair, so I have to get into the shower with her to clean it.  Sob - what a sacrifice! :evil: :evil:

She won't be riding the ZX14 at WoS -- but I plan to do so.  Maybe I can put down some good numbers in her honor.

Thanks again for all of your concerns and questions.  We'll see you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com