Author Topic: Official Speed Week 2012 photo/news thread  (Read 438134 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Official Speed Week 2012 photo/news thread
« Reply #465 on: August 19, 2012, 04:39:17 PM »
Pork Pie

Congratulations from the Fast FACTS editorial team and from the membership of the Speed Record Club on your speed record.

Your first hand account of your efforts on the salt should look good in the newsletter. But who is going to supply the pictures of you in the car?

Jane and Malcolm
Derby, England.

No fear.....my camera was in good hands and we got it properly covered....mostly you will see a BIG NOSE......and seat belts..... :-D
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #466 on: August 19, 2012, 04:43:11 PM »
Pork Pie

Do get the 'record holder' into your signature line as soon as possible. It is well deserved.

Malcolm
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline vette#128

« Reply #467 on: August 19, 2012, 06:56:24 PM »
Way to go Pork Pie!!! Your talents never cease to amaze me!
Ed
Ed Van Scoy
Four Deuces
(Salt,Dirt & Pavement)

Offline Slingshotz

• New folks
    • Slingshotz Designs
« Reply #468 on: August 19, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »
Forgiveness is always easier to get then permission, right?  So I'm gonna start the official SW thread with some photos, since I'm here and I got some to post.  Makes sense to me, anyway.  SSS, if ya wanna move stuff around, do whatcha gotta and I'll try to play along in the same key.  K?

Ok.  So as I left the Salt Lake City area, around 2 pm, it was 103F and there were a few clouds off to the west.  After driving 50 miles west, I was in the middle of a downpour and the Burb's external thermometer said it was 62F.  What the h*ll?  50 miles and a 41 degree drop in temperature?  Weird.  The hard rain didn't last long, but the overcast did.  There was a lotta virga (rain falling that never hits the ground, see 2nd photo) but no more wet stuff outta the sky.

Doc Freud called me to let me know that there was a pretty big storm front along the Utah-Nevada border, heading NE.  I checked out wunderground.com later and I see some activity, but it all seems to be going to the east of the salt. 

When I got to the rest stop at mile marker 7, there westbound traffic was backed up for a mile or so.  I never did figger out what happened, cuz by the time I'd walked 3/4 of the way to the head of the backup, the seas parted and the traffic got moving again.  So I drove on to Land's End, where I met Linda and a coupla other folks and then out to the pit area to stake out a pit for a friend who's a day or so behind me.

The rain might never have hit the salt, but the wind was blowin with a vengeance.  I estimate 40-50 mph wind, fairly steady.  That was 90 minutes ago and it's slowed down quite a bit now.

I'm gonna post this and continue it with a few more images and some observations about the salt.

Offline roadsterswap

« Reply #469 on: August 19, 2012, 07:36:28 PM »
Way to go Pork Pie! You did it! You had a great crew to bring it all together! I wish I got to see the smile on your face after your record run!

Offline fabio montani

• New folks
« Reply #470 on: August 20, 2012, 12:26:24 AM »
Regardless of any discussion / different point of view we may have experienced recently I'm happy to see your great achivement
Well done porky
Fabio montani

Offline Freud

« Reply #471 on: August 20, 2012, 01:19:27 AM »
Welcome to Landracing.com, Slingshotz.

I hopwe to see you frequently and I was so happy that the Queen enjoyed her visit.

FREUD
Since '63

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #472 on: August 20, 2012, 01:21:45 AM »
Hey thats my old firesuit PorkPie is wearing.
KOOL
Hope you had fun PP
Of course you did.  Sorry you were just short of the "Red" hat.

Rick... thanks for lending Jon your suit a couple of years ago... we put Porkpie in our big white one and couldn't find him... had yours in the bottom of the bag and so I said try this one on.  Perfect fit, so as Jon said, you helped us with this record more than either of you knew until the pictures were published.  I appreciate your generosity lending Jon your suit for our other project, and Porkpie appreciates that your suit was in our bag  :-D
We spent a couple of days fighting a few issues with the car, the motor and the new Motec...
Thanks Dave Dahlgren, Engine Management Systems for all of your help
It took Porkpie a few runs after making all of his rookie requirements to get used to hearing a motor wind past 12000 RPM... after that he did his job, drive the car safely straight down the track as fast as it will go  :-o  (on that run's tune)  Good job Porkpie, it is not an easy car to drive.
While we fell a little short of our ultimate goal, we achieved the largest part of it.  
Porkpie did get his A license on the last pass... 200.2 exit... a couple more days and maybe....  but we all did everything we could, we were safe, we had fun and we went fast (enough)
If you get the chance to have Dan tell you his Porkpie Shootout story you will split a gut... Candooo?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 09:17:12 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Hooley

« Reply #473 on: August 20, 2012, 09:43:56 AM »
Congrats PORK PIE  on your record.  It'll be a long time before the Smiling [smile] will go back to normal.

Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline SteveM

« Reply #474 on: August 20, 2012, 03:32:26 PM »
Did anybody lay eyes, or take a photo of the #8217 entry - "Aaron's Salt Machine" in the H/DT class?  I'd like to make contact with the anonymous owners/drivers of this vehicle.

They made what appear to be some rookie and licensing passes on Monday, then a couple of record attempts that came up a little short on Wednesday.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Ro Yale

« Reply #475 on: August 21, 2012, 08:35:23 PM »
Here's a shot our tuner guy Jason Herrerra took. It was our backup run in D/BGMR. We qualified with a 272 and the backup was 297mph.
Racers Race and Whiners Whine!

Offline Rob

« Reply #476 on: August 21, 2012, 09:50:57 PM »
We qualified with a 272 and the backup was 297mph.

Got to be happy with that,congrats!

Offline Freud

« Reply #477 on: August 21, 2012, 11:33:28 PM »
Ro you are a knockin' on the 300 MPH door. Go fer it.

Congratulations.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline dw230

« Reply #478 on: August 21, 2012, 11:45:15 PM »
"Please don't tell me all about how everyone is a volunteer. There is a person listed as the SCTA web site guru, I would think with no other responsibilties. In 21st Century info like this should be posted withing hours, not days."

Well, you are correct. A person with a dedicated job shjould be able to do all that work so you can have your results in a timely manner. If only he could have been on the salt. His daughter was in a serious auto acident the evening before he was to leave for the salt and he elected to stay home with her.

Our little crew of 7, running three cars, communications, impound and various other duties had to suck it up and try to make some kind of arrangements to do the daily results. Tough to be enthusiastic around 9 each evening after being on the salt at 5:30 AM. There were enough hard copies of records and qualifiers if only those who were missing them knew where to look.

There is an extra chair in the salt office for you when you have some spare time next year to be able to enjoy the event as much as us. BTW, how many hats and records did your team gather this past week?

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #479 on: August 22, 2012, 11:40:11 AM »
Here, Here Dan.....Well Said. I always like to read about the runs as soon as I can if I'm not there, but until you've worked in it you will have no idea.
When I was inspecting and helping Dan in Impounds I would "start" my racing on Tuesday because of how much work it takes to do what they do and I didn't want them (all the guys who had been helping me) to get buried so I could race. When I get the chance to run in October I still feel a little guilty that I'm not helping even tho the meet is much smaller
I appauld all the work the volunteers do and I'm sure all those holes drilled in the Salt did not get there by themselves......JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro