Author Topic: 18 inch land speed wheels off the shelf  (Read 14059 times)

Offline RICK

18 inch land speed wheels off the shelf
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 07:53:10 AM »
And if the bead won't seat, the tire will leak,,,,,,,so does that mean you just need to run a 'inner tube?'

RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline hitz

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 10:21:54 AM »
Quote from: RICK
And if the bead won't seat, the tire will leak,,,,,,,so does that mean you just need to run a 'inner tube?'

RICK

Rick,

It does leak slowly. I don't think it would be wise to run it without the bead seated on the tire. It usually takes a special tube to match the hole for the tubeless valve stem wheels.
  Harv

Offline bigtim44

• NaCl addict
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 11:49:11 AM »
Quote from: jimmy six
By reenforcement I mean welded all the way around as mentioned in our book. Know one has ever stated whether the wheels they are looking at are rivited or welded.. Yes my steel 18" wheels are implement outers made by Hoppy a few years back...You can tell by the safety bead..Available from www.millertire.com...Good Luck.

That www.millertire.com is a great site, I've been looking all over for 700x18 tubes...I hope they have steel stems
Salty Box Racing #622 B/DT

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 12:18:52 PM »
Steel stems are not a requirement for tubes. A requirement to keep the tube,by centrigal force, from breaking their stem or going back into the rim is a requirment.

For straight stems, I have inspected tubing placed over the stem and a 1/4" flat washer held in by the metal valve cap to meet the requirements. For angle stems I have inspected a 1/4" fenderwash to keep the stem from bending over and breaking. It also meets the requirments. (I have personally used both these ideas)

All tubes state what the stem design is ie: diameter, length, material.. You can find this information on the net with a little searching.  Then you will know what you will be getting. Good luck...J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro