Author Topic: 18 inch land speed wheels off the shelf  (Read 14071 times)

Offline bigtim44

• NaCl addict
18 inch land speed wheels off the shelf
« on: April 19, 2006, 10:53:29 PM »
This might be old news...I was in my buddy's body repair shop and I'm staring at a narrow 18" steel space saver wheel from a Nissan Morano,turns out it is 18X4.5 with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern and a 4.25 inch backspace,and cost $135 new each. If welded all the way round would these be suitable to race with?
Salty Box Racing #622 B/DT

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
18" space savers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 11:35:52 AM »
I'm not the rules guy, but I know of one car that's under construction - and using these wheels just as you describe 'em.  I'd suggest you feel confident and continue your investigation of them.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 01:01:23 PM »
You did not mention if they are steel. As an inspector I would pass them if the steel reinforcment specifications are met . Mercedes has a space saver wheel similar to the ones you mention and they are an alloy wheel. IMO they would be a little narrow for a  32" diameter tire but right inline for the 30" styles. I am not familiar with the diameter of a Nissan wheel studs but as long as the proper attaching devices which would meet our specs is used I would not be afraid to use them. Personally I have paid more than $135 each for my sets of 18" wheels....Good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 02:45:39 PM »
Before you spent the money on this, check for what speed range this wheel is certified.

In Germany the most of this wheels, in the combination with a special tire, is certified for a speed up to 80 mph, but the use on the road and autobahn to 55 mph. The 80 mph is a safety gap to the normal allowed speed, if someone goes just a little bit to fast.....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline RICK

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 04:18:33 PM »
JD,,,Just what is the 'STEEL REINFORCEMENT SPEC.' Don't you run some kind of farm implement wheel?

Please,, get back to us oon that wheel spec thing.

Thanks, RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline Malcolm UK

Check before you build
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 04:21:03 PM »
Like Pork Pie I urge caution.

In the UK the race governing bodies would need a lot of convincing to allow such a steel wheel, that may normally be speed restricted (with the tyre mounted) to a road speed of 80kph or 50mph and then only for a few 'get you home' miles, to be used in any race competition.  How true will it be?  My 14" space saver seemed mighty thin too on my road car (a spanish Seat)

I appreciate that they are the 'right size' and may be cheaper than a professionally made race steel wheel, but do check with safety inspectors before you risk your life.

In Enlgand we have a company called Weller who make steel wheels and from them I would expect a narrow rim to be 200+ safe (their 15" diameter went on the Metisse)

Malcolm
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 07:32:54 PM »
Rule book 2.G Wheels says:
Vehicles with tires having a diameter of 29? or greater, or with wheels over 17? in diameter must use a wheel manufactured for racing or reinforced as below. Wheels must be attached with at least 5 studs with a minimum diameter of 1/2? and 1? lug nuts. In either of the previous cases, wheels shall be manufactured for racing purposes or reinforced as follows; REINFORCEMENT SHALL BE DONE by welding the entire area of attachment between the rim and the center section on either the inside or outside of the wheel.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline bigtim44

• NaCl addict
18" rims
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 10:23:54 PM »
The Murano spare is a stamped steel construction,here is a picture of one.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 10:35:59 PM »
bigtim44, you have a PM.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline RICK

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 08:35:49 AM »
I did a quick run thru the local salvage yard last night,,, looking thru the trunks [boots in UK] at the spare tires. I was supprised at how many use 16, 17 and 18 inch narrow wheels. Most have 50/50 tires. 50 miles or 50 mph, whitch ever comes first,  but the wheels LOOK thick enough? I didn't see a disclaimer on the wheels,,,,,only the space saver tires. Could this be a source for 18s?

RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Online Rick Byrnes

18 inch land speed racing wheels off the shelf
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 11:56:11 AM »
When investigating space saver spares for the Merk, the information I found at Ford, is that those wheels are designed, tested and certified to the same requirements as normal road wheels.  I used 15 Inch aluminum TBird wheels on a 200 mph car with no ill effects.  I can't speak of other manufacturers wheels.
Look at construction, and material thickness.
Rick

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 12:26:12 AM »
By reenforcement I mean welded all the way around as mentioned in our book. Know one has ever stated whether the wheels they are looking at are rivited or welded.. Yes my steel 18" wheels are implement outers made by Hoppy a few years back...You can tell by the safety bead..Available from www.millertire.com...Good Luck.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline bigtim44

• NaCl addict
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 06:47:56 PM »
JD
The Murano wheels are welded together,although they would need further welding to make a continuous weld all the way around as per the reinforcing requirements.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
WON'T WORK
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 12:08:15 AM »
While the space saver wheel design is tested by DOT and approved for only specified uses, the bead design will not accommodate a tire with the number of material plys and speed requirements we can use.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline hitz

Re: WON'T WORK
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 07:08:25 AM »
Quote from: JackD
While the space saver wheel design is tested by DOT and approved for only specified uses, the bead design will not accommodate a tire with the number of material plys and speed requirements we can use.

Which is probably why I'm having trouble seating the beads on the space saver to M&H front runners. Thanks, Jack.

Harv