Author Topic: Motorcycle - Lowest HP to achieve 200mph  (Read 10756 times)

Offline av8ford

• New folks
Re: Motorcycle - Lowest HP to achieve 200mph
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 08:55:31 PM »
To respond to deans post.... Nicks honda 250 prolly made 42 to 45hp... Cliffs yamaha 350 prolly 55 to 60..... the turbo aps650 prolly 250hp and the naked 750 close to 300..... im thinkin Hertz blown meth 500 NSU was puttin out 60ish in 1956 and allowed him to run over 200........ as much hp as you can make is a good rule of thumb but its really all about CDA
kent

Do you know what engines were used for those 250 and 350 streamliner records? The reason I ask is that the horsepower available from late-model production road race motors is considerably higher. For example, a friend's recently retired 10-year-old Yamaha TZ250 produced 96 hp at the rear wheel during its last dyno session. It was tuned for Sears Point (Sonoma Raceway) which is at sea level, but I doubt it would lose any more than 10 percent tuned for Miller Motorsport Park at Tooele, Utah, which is essentially the same altitude as Bonneville.

Mike

Hey Mike! Didn't expect to see you post here!

Joe, pretty sure Mike has been around bikes :wink:

Yeah, it's me, Trent. I've been thinking about building something on two wheels for the Salt and El Mirage for several years but have just recently gotten off my butt to do something about it. Four-wheel racing is way too spendy for this retiree, and since my involvement with Vern's efforts usually ends at the engine room door I've been a 'spectator' way too long.

I'm renting space in Kent Fuller's shop for my porting room and another to stash my scooter bits. I've been leaning toward a APS bike configuration, but Fuller wants to help me build a flatbottom streamliner; not certain which path to follow, but we're getting close to a decision. Fuller's 'liner will be taken over by his son this Fall for sorting out, and Fuller seems keen on a new project. :-)

Mike 
Mike

Offline Tman

Re: Motorcycle - Lowest HP to achieve 200mph
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 11:52:52 AM »
Sounds like a fun project!